When did it become ok to steal flows? Vol. Quavo has too many sons

Slight generation gap. 

Alot of us dudes in our late twenties/early thirties went to middle school in the Pac + Big era. We fell in love w/ the culture during the golden era

If you're in your early 20s now...you came up on some completely different ****. 

True, but somewhere along the way in that gap, it became "cool" to be a biter and those who talked about it were called "irrelevant" or "haters".

It;s the nature of the beast. I'm not saying that every rapper does it, but a lot of rappers, musicians of other genres in fact, do whats most popular of the time until EVERYONE is tired of it or a new flow takes over, I think its the same with production as well with a lot of the ATL cats, but thats their sound right now.Just keep looking for the new next thing........like Makonnen.

The biting of meek mill flow was the worst. This Migos copying s*** is up there too. It's a shame. Like its blatant and every artist does it. Was listening to the new Gotti tape and he sounded like takeoff smh.

Let's not act like flows weren't being copied and jacked back in the early 90s though. There was just more originality and a lot of different flows back then.

Now it's like there is only one dominant flow every 1-2 years and EVERYBODY and their mother will ***** it out to death. Kills some potentially great songs.
they got called out ******* on when they bit flows too... ****** didnt let that **** rock. Rappers or fans.
This is why I stopped listening to a lot of this music. Felt like it started in the early 2000 and it just took off ever since. It's sad really.

Reading some comments in here, dudes are confused.
Same. I listen to music damn near all day, and most of the rap is 10+ years old.

Once ****** started going 5x plat and getting multi million dollar deals it became a copycat rap industry.

"Can't knock the next mans hustle" is a mantra that aided in dissolving the standards & principals of Hip Hop that at one time shamed artists for such behavior. Making it unfashionable to call a spade a spade created an environment conducive to shark biting. All sins shall be forgiving just as long as you are "Winning". Praising & rewarding artists for blatantly violating once close kept principles only reinforces this shift in mentality. Holding artists to a certain standard became "Hating".
All of these quoted words & phrases became accepted parts of the hip hop mental lexicon & subsequently eroded some of the core values that insisted on its artists being original, creative & progressive.
Who do you start blaming though, It's clear that when it comes to the craft or business a lot of artist choose the former. You really can't help that people love this type of stuff and that some artist see this as a way to cash out. With the rise of the internet rapper you can't beat the appeal of finding a home studio and emulating in order to reach success. But, another thing that rises from the internet rapper is a mass variety, there may be a lot of copy cats, but theirs a lot of weird **** going on nowadays too. 

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. Puff killed a lot of things in Hip-Hop. First being the "remix". Remixes used to actually be different beats and sometimes you got lucky and got different lyrics. Then Puff put out the "Flava In Ya Ear" remix and it was over. All he did was add every hot MC in Hip-Hop at the time. Now that's the standard. The fact that people call adding guest stars a remix always infuriates me. Then Puff brought the money into it. And once people got a taste of the money, they didn't care what they sounded like or copied. As long as it was hot and sold, that's all that mattered. Once the Bling, Bling era was ushered in, game over. Because not even a decade before when Hammer was making shiny suit music he got clowned, but then Puff got lucky and had Big who was a legitimate MC so it made his watered down sampling acceptable. I've felt for years and years Puff ushered in the garbage that is Hip-Hop today and put "real Hip-Hop" in the shadows.
You and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to Puff. I feel the same exact way as you do.

You and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to Puff. I feel the same exact way as you do.
I think Hammer helped with this bling era instead of getting clowned being the only way we remember him . Dude was pulling 33 million a year but went broke on that super bling lifestyle. 

Hip hop is trendy & will always be trendy

I aint see rappers wearing cuban links until 2chainz album cover, now rappers trying to compete with having the biggest cuban link
idk about the cuban links, but i agree with you. The music thats pushed in front of us today typically follow a trend and hip hop has been that way forever. I a lot of ppl value the trends that were relevant in the 90s and want them to reoccur but it doesnt work that way, you gotta hope for a newer, better one. 

lot of ppl value the trends that were relevant in the 90s and want them to reoccur but it doesnt work that way, you gotta hope for a newer, better one. 
Who's saying that?

Nobody is asking for a replica of "90s trends". That's not what this discussion is about AT ALL. 

We're talking about a complete lack of values that are universal between ALL forms of art. Nique nailed it in the very first reply of this thread. The artist and the listener...seem to care less and less about the essence of what makes an artist "creative" in the first place. Therefore...the public doesn't say "hey...why are 100 different artists using the exact same style"...but instead they CRAVE it. 

It's like if Leonardo Da Vinci put out the Mona Lisa...and then EVERY damn artist known to world started painting portraits that looked EXACTLY like the Mona Lisa. 

Where's the originality? Nobody is asking for a "return to the golden era". How about making your golden era, with it's own uniqueness, individuality, and impact on the culture?

There's nothing creative or artistic about doing EXACTLY what 100 other artists are doing. There's a fine line between influence and just straight up imitation.

Last edited:
I hate how there will be a hot song, and every rapper on the surface of earth feels the need to 'remix' it and do it there way. Its like, ***** let the song be hot and let the artist shine. Dont try to out rap them or make moves off of someonelses stuff.

Drake showing the game that this is okay, dudes is actually okay with this. Alot of rappers will try to trampoline off that for buzz and throw the artists call it official. Tuesday would have never been nominated for a grammy if Drake didn't hop on it even tho he messed it up.

Mentioning Soulja and Game in this thread is like wondering why waters make waves

There's a big list of OGs that have bitten the flows of hot-right-now ppl. It's rly just hilarious more than anything.
Alot of these flows originate from the underground and whoever does it or makes the most radio friendly out of it gets put on. Some of Migos earlier works do not contain that flow so Im pretty sure he's biting somebody.

What's a big sean flow...

Anything that sounds like "BALL(bald)....chemo" "Like a parade...MACY'S" "Fill her up.....BALLOONS"

I hate how there will be a hot song, and every rapper on the surface of earth feels the need to 'remix' it and do it there way. Its like, ***** let the song be hot and let the artist shine. Dont try to out rap them or make moves off of someonelses stuff.

Drake showing the game that this is okay, dudes is actually okay with this. Alot of rappers will try to trampoline off that for buzz and throw the artists call it official. Tuesday would have never been nominated for a grammy if Drake didn't hop on it even tho he messed it up.

Mentioning Soulja and Game in this thread is like wondering why waters make waves

There's a big list of OGs that have bitten the flows of hot-right-now ppl. It's rly just hilarious more than anything.
Alot of these flows originate from the underground and whoever does it or makes the most radio friendly out of it gets put on. Some of Migos earlier works do not contain that flow so Im pretty sure he's biting somebody.

:lol: :lol:

Migos (the 3 of them) are "biting" early Memphis rappers, which is why it appears new to a whole lot of people. People label it as "Migos flow" cause they're pretty much the ones who first started using it since Lil Corb, Kingpin Skinny Pimp, Lord Infamous, and a couple others. So basically, no one has used it really on a large scale since the late 90's.

Last edited:
He didn't originate it, just somewhat brought it back, then YM & Ludacris shotgun blasted it to death

Dam i didnt realize till now that migos do sound like scarecrow. Cant beleive i barley caught that.

IF we really want to go there Crime Mob was using the flow while Migos were in Elementary school. And even they were compared as being the new 3'6

Well its more of an adaptive flow then jackin a style. Cuz now we are just namin sounds out the south.

Back
Top Bottom