When it comes to BMW's & Benzes...

....why does anyone buy them brand new when the depreciation is absolutely horrible?

Now, they're amazing cars...I def.won't take that away from them, esp.since I'm looking to get a E60 in the near future, but...how in the world does the resale value drop the way it does? I wanted to wait a few years cause I knew it would drop down to a decent price.

I see people on here talk about "wasting money" all the time, but how do you justify a car originally being $97K 4 years ago (E60 M5), to being worth $37-$50K? Or the 745LI...originally $80K, and now you can get one 5-6 years old for a 1/4 of the original price. Same for most AMG's as well...I couldn't imagine paying $700+ for a car note, when it's only worth 1/4-1/2 the value a few years later.

I KNOW that most people who own the higher end models have the money, and that cars in general are a depreciating asset, but still....

....why does anyone buy them brand new when the depreciation is absolutely horrible?

Now, they're amazing cars...I def.won't take that away from them, esp.since I'm looking to get a E60 in the near future, but...how in the world does the resale value drop the way it does? I wanted to wait a few years cause I knew it would drop down to a decent price.

I see people on here talk about "wasting money" all the time, but how do you justify a car originally being $97K 4 years ago (E60 M5), to being worth $37-$50K? Or the 745LI...originally $80K, and now you can get one 5-6 years old for a 1/4 of the original price. Same for most AMG's as well...I couldn't imagine paying $700+ for a car note, when it's only worth 1/4-1/2 the value a few years later.

I KNOW that most people who own the higher end models have the money, and that cars in general are a depreciating asset, but still....

Mistake #1: Buying a BMW or Benz.  Im currently leasing my 2nd 335i loaded. $700 a month. I would've spent WAY more and been stuck with the first one if i bought the 1st one. I'll probably be leasing luxury cars for as long as i have interest to drive them.

Mistake #1: Buying a BMW or Benz.  Im currently leasing my 2nd 335i loaded. $700 a month. I would've spent WAY more and been stuck with the first one if i bought the 1st one. I'll probably be leasing luxury cars for as long as i have interest to drive them.

The most important reason is because people feel a self-worth appreciation when they buy a car new. Because let's be real, no one wants to drive a BMW/BENZ that's 4-5 years old. People either want the new one, or the one that's extremely old.

The most important reason is because people feel a self-worth appreciation when they buy a car new. Because let's be real, no one wants to drive a BMW/BENZ that's 4-5 years old. People either want the new one, or the one that's extremely old.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

IDK about that one...I see a ton of people driving used ones. Im all for that "new car smell", but got damn....at what cost?! How do you pay almost $100K for a car in '06, and its only worth $40K 5 years later? I just cant see it. For the most part, theyre timeless cars, so I dont see the prob.with waiting

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

IDK about that one...I see a ton of people driving used ones. Im all for that "new car smell", but got damn....at what cost?! How do you pay almost $100K for a car in '06, and its only worth $40K 5 years later? I just cant see it. For the most part, theyre timeless cars, so I dont see the prob.with waiting

It beats paying for repairs on a used one.  
mad.gif

Convenience, I guess. Don't you get free oil changes, and maintenance that you wouldn't get if you bought used.

From a financial perspective it doesn't make sense, though.

Convenience, I guess. Don't you get free oil changes, and maintenance that you wouldn't get if you bought used.

From a financial perspective it doesn't make sense, though.

Originally Posted by f360spyder

This isn't feasible for regular people. Nobody's looking for a $700 note on a lease.

Originally Posted by f360spyder

This isn't feasible for regular people. Nobody's looking for a $700 note on a lease.

To some people, it is worth it to buy one brand new.
There is something about getting something brand new and breaking them in, it's nice.
It provides some mental satisfaction.
That is why some people lease, if they fan afford it, they prefer to have a new car every 2-3 years.

There is also that peace of mind that the former owner did race the car or do something stupid to it.
There are also a percentage out there that knows nothing about cars and easily gets ripped off by the dealership.

To some people, it is worth it to buy one brand new.
There is something about getting something brand new and breaking them in, it's nice.
It provides some mental satisfaction.
That is why some people lease, if they fan afford it, they prefer to have a new car every 2-3 years.

There is also that peace of mind that the former owner did race the car or do something stupid to it.
There are also a percentage out there that knows nothing about cars and easily gets ripped off by the dealership.

I think for the people buying it new it's not a big deal. If you're dropping 80k on a sedan youre not planning on keeping it for more than a couple years and probably dont care the value at the end. On the used side of things, the people who are picking up that same 80k car new for 35k a couple years down the road dont realize that theyre paying a premium for service and parts. In the end theyll end up paying a lot more.

I think for the people buying it new it's not a big deal. If you're dropping 80k on a sedan youre not planning on keeping it for more than a couple years and probably dont care the value at the end. On the used side of things, the people who are picking up that same 80k car new for 35k a couple years down the road dont realize that theyre paying a premium for service and parts. In the end theyll end up paying a lot more.

got an 07 530xi with 27k on it for 32,000 last april and the sticker was 62,000 no problems yet....knock on wood

got an 07 530xi with 27k on it for 32,000 last april and the sticker was 62,000 no problems yet....knock on wood

If I ever bought a Mercedes it would have to be something amg. Better believe I wouldn't get a used one.

Back
Top Bottom