When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

damn man I see some real foolish statements in here... Read the M$#$%#$%@#in article before you post

nobody callin the movie racist...nobody is crying or pulling "the race card"

Some of u dumb fbucks act like a convo cant be held on the undertones r whatever of the film and have the film still be appreciated as good entertainment

Lets push aside the matter of what side of the argument youre on, but to say the article is not about race???????????

Originally Posted by Nako XL

This is not a message anybody wants to hear, least of all the white people
In the US, to talk about race is to be seen as racist. You become the problem because you bring up the problem. So you find people who are hesitant to talk about it.

ohwell.gif

No...sorry I should have clarified what i was reffering to...the posts by some some NTers i take as them feeling like the article and posts are being on somestr8 up bashing and race this n race that like on a Al Sharpton tip....erything u highlighted where white is can just be replaced with the word"hollywood" but white ppl are hollywood so its interchangable

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Chicagos Finest 23 wrote:
Enjoy the movie for what it is "entertainment" and stop over analyzing everything in life.
I am sorry, but that is a real ignorant approach my man. How do you think propaganda is spread to the masses? Your response makes you sound like a mindless sheep.
How is that ignorant though?
Other than bloggers and people who feel the need to write about everything, nobody else is really making that connection.

I mean, I see what youre saying but the majority of people dont look at this film as a white man who saved a race.
My only gripe with this movie is that the story has been told before. The color or race of the savior and the saved is not something I care to dwell on.

Nobody else is making that connection but bloggers and people that need to write about everything? There are people whom are actually educated Diego, who canand do read in between the lines. I am well aware that this message board is filled with mostly teens and individuals who only appear to keep up the with theJone's and only desire to fit in. Keep in mind though that there are people on this message board that actually read articles posted and don't needcliff-notes for anything over a paragraph who do contribute to the topic.

Enjoy the movie for what it is "entertainment" and stop over analyzing everything in life.
I am sorry, but that is a real ignorant approach my man. How do you think propaganda is spread to the masses? Your response makes you sound like a mindless sheep.
Other than bloggers and people who feel the need to write about everything, nobody else is really making that connection.

I mean, I see what youre saying but the majority of people dont look at this film as a white man who saved a race.
My only gripe with this movie is that the story has been told before. The color or race of the savior and the saved is not something I care to dwell on.

Nobody else is making that connection but bloggers and people that need to write about everything? There are people whom are actually educated Diego, who can and do read in between the lines. I am well aware that this message board is filled with mostly teens and individuals who only appear to keep up the with the Jone's and only desire to fit in. Keep in mind though that there are people on this message board that actually read articles posted and don't need cliff-notes for anything over a paragraph who do contribute to the topic.

Dude..you need a hug or something?

WE ARE WATCHING A MOVIE.

I watched this movie and saw many similarities to what you are saying and then I went to a bathroom and took a dump and moved on with my life.

I think we are done with watching movies and taking them seriously. I dont plan on jumping on your back when you arent watching and making you my *%$%$, takingme to the supermarket and stuff.

Nobody else is making that connection but bloggers and people that need to write about everything? There are people whom are actually educated Diego, who can and do read in between the lines. I am well aware that this message board is filled with mostly teens and individuals who only appear to keep up the with the Jone's and only desire to fit in. Keep in mind though that there are people on this message board that actually read articles posted and don't need cliff-notes for anything over a paragraph who do contribute to the topic.

Bloggers = People that need to write about anything.
Its the main reason why real journalism is dead, but thats a completely different topic.

I read the article and I understand that people want to see something different, I agree with this 10000000%.
From reading the article it seems as if the author is just tired of the white man playing these roles, Im tired of any man playing this role. You see thedifference?

This movie will not change our history; Its already tainted, and those of us who are educated (as you put it) will still feel the same way about the way aboutthe history of this country. So what exactly is the problem with the film? Matter fact dont tell me the problem, tell me what YOUR problem is with it. Maybethere is something I am missing.

For one second, let's entertain the notion that it is just entertainment, with no underlying message intended but instead the 'Savior' cliché isexistent by pure coincidence
Is the potential harm negated just because it is an unintentional bi-product of the entertainment?

Bloggers = People that need to write about anything.
Its the main reason why real journalism is dead, but thats a completely different topic.

I read the article and I understand that people want to see something different, I agree with this 10000000%.
From reading the article it seems as if the author is just tired of the white man playing these roles, Im tired of any man playing this role. You see the difference?

This movie will not change our history; Its already tainted, and those of us who are educated (as you put it) will still feel the same way about the way about the history of this country. So what exactly is the problem with the film? Matter fact dont tell me the problem, tell me what YOUR problem is with it. Maybe there is something I am missing.

You're not seeing the bigger picture here.

Movies, music, television, are all forms of communication which have an impact on our society. With that being said, it is important to analyze everything, youmay just want to be entertained, but every song, movie, and show which you come in contact with is trying to convey a message.

This article merely pointed out the stereotypical plot which Avatar reinforced, and what causes the particular story to be so popular in Hollywood.

So what exactly is the problem with the film? Matter fact dont tell me the problem, tell me what YOUR problem is with it. Maybe there is something I am missing.
I think you need to read my initial reply, which is the reason you quoted me in the first place. I didn't say I had a problem with the film, Isaid I had a problem with the cop out response by Chicagos Finest. I have absolutely no desire to watch thisfilm, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

You're not seeing the bigger picture here.

Movies, music, television, are all forms of communication which have an impact on our society. With that being said, it is important to analyze everything, you may just want to be entertained, but every song, movie, and show which you come in contact with is trying to convey a message.

This article merely pointed out the stereotypical plot which Avatar reinforced, and what causes the particular story to be so popular in Hollywood.
In the end, who decides what message we take in?

Why does Hollywood being sterotypical still surprise people?
Its been decades of the same crap, yet we still keep going back for more.
If originality is what Im looking for, mainstream (Hollywood) is the last place I would go to.

Originally Posted by DocDoon

i didnt read the article. kinda seem's like typical " the white man did this" kinda speech
its a movie. get over it
If you had read the column you would realize the the writer was actually WHITE!

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

WE ARE WATCHING A MOVIE.

I watched this movie and saw many similarities to what you are saying and then I went to a bathroom and took a dump and moved on with my life.

I think we are done with watching movies and taking them seriously. I dont plan on jumping on your back when you arent watching and making you my *%$%$, taking me to the supermarket and stuff.

Are you ******ed?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Movies, music, television, are all forms of communication which have an impact on our society. With that being said, it is important to analyze everything, you may just want to be entertained, but every song, movie, and show which you come in contact with is trying to convey a message.

Zing!!!

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Originally Posted by DocDoon

i didnt read the article. kinda seem's like typical " the white man did this" kinda speech
its a movie. get over it
If you had read the column you would realize the the writer was actually WHITE!
Well that changes everything
laugh.gif
(sarcasm in case the meteris broken)

When will they stop making movies like this? The same time Tyler Perry stops making movies like Madea... the short answer is when they stop making money.

In terms of what the article is trying to get across
eyes.gif
.... This is oneof those situations similar to something like religion, where you can find this angle anywhere you wish to if you're willing to squint your eyes hardenough.

If the man character of this movie were a black guy or a native american, would that have made the story ANY different? Racism is a form of discrimination andprejudice - so any movie that deals with discrimination is now going to be tied in with white guilt? Why not take it back further to the days of the Greeksand Romans and say that all these movies are just rehashing Greek and Roman guilt?
laugh.gif

I don't see this movie as a story of racism whatsoever - there are culture issues and class issues, it touches on ideas of expansion and empire building. But at the end of the day the humans did not hate the Na'Vi for any reason, and did not even necessarily discriminate against them. It was about theproperty they wanted to take from them and felt they had a right to take. White guilt? How about just human guilt - ain't too many souls alive right nowthat don't have that same mentality about our own planet, where they feel entitled to do whatever they please to it.

http://niketalk.com/topic/226267
When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?
Why in the world should Hollywood stop now after the success of Avatar? 200 Million in just 2 weeks? Formula works and we all know the marketwill be flooded by Avatar inspired type of movies.

White guy = Hero is a proven success. There is no one to blame but ourselves for these type of stereo typical movies. Supply = Demand. Maybe if we actuallythink out of the box and boycott these type of movies the industry would change but that will never happen.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

When will they stop making movies like this? The same time Tyler Perry stops making movies like Madea... the short answer is when they stop making money.

In terms of what the article is trying to get across
eyes.gif
.... This is one of those situations similar to something like religion, where you can find this angle anywhere you wish to if you're willing to squint your eyes hard enough.

I get what youre saying, and agree for the most part, BUT do you really have to squint? It all seems in your face and blatant.

This thread turned into good conversation around page 6... Everything else before is rubbish...

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

WE ARE WATCHING A MOVIE.

I think we are done with watching movies and taking them seriously. I dont plan on jumping on your back when you arent watching and making you my *%$%$, taking me to the supermarket and stuff.

Are you ******ed?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
im serious man

people just get mad and offended so quickly these days for things that remind them of the past.

as someone said before, unfortun white = hero, is more of a financial bet.

Disney just took the risk of having their first black princess. Yes, that sounds great when we think about it. But now someones probably getting fired for thatidea being that the movie isnt doing too well.

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

people be pulling out the race card over anything which is why racism will never end here in america
no one pulled the race card. and i disagree with your assertion. in my opinion, race issues are still around because people refuse to acceptthat they exist, talk about it, and do something about them. it's the elephant in the room, and ignoring it won't make it go away. you can't fixsomething if no one will even acknowledge it's a problem in the first place.

Originally Posted by DubA169

people mad over a story that's been told since before people could even write

hilarious. hollywood is lazy. congrats, amazing article
that's the point. hollywood is lazy. there's a reason the story's been told a million times before. you don't think it'stime for a fresh take? like ok, we get it. the white guy is gonna lead the natives to salvation and make amends for all the %$%$ he did before. it'sstandard hollywood fare.

i've seen some people argue that the movie would be different if Will Smith were the lead. Maybe (though I could make an argument why it'd be the samething) but isn't it that the problem? that we have ONE alternative to this scenario, in Will, and that's it?

Consider the question YDBoUnCe asked for a moment:

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

For one second, let's entertain the notion that it is just entertainment, with no underlying message intended but instead the 'Savior' cliché is existent by pure coincidence
Is the potential harm negated just because it is an unintentional bi-product of the entertainment?

If someone makes a post about "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" this place would be shut down
grin.gif

I will never in my life watch fake movies like this crap but I have respect for anyone that can make that much money on something so stupid

Originally Posted by Prime Suspects 36

If someone makes a post about "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" this place would be shut down
grin.gif

I will never in my life watch fake movies like this crap but I have respect for anyone that can make that much money on something so stupid

Well by doing that you'd be implying that ignorant music is unique to Blacks...

Originally Posted by Kn0wledgeable

people be pulling out the race card over anything which is why racism will never end here in america
no one pulled the race card. and i disagree with your assertion. in my opinion, race issues are still around because people refuse to accept that they exist, talk about it, and do something about them. it's the elephant in the room, and ignoring it won't make it go away. you can't fix something if no one will even acknowledge it's a problem in the first place.

Us minorities have many more problems we need to take care us within our race before we can begin to worry about the white savior in a film.

grin.gif

Not exactly. Unless you're willing to admit the point of this thread is that only white people are racist.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

I don't think most of the people that replied so far have even read the article...
Agreed...I dont straight-up agree whole heartedly with the article but it brings up many real points.

Most people seem to have stopped at the article's title and thought: this is a complete reach!

Which, it really isnt. White man's guilt or whatever you want to call it is common, whether one notices or not. Its the basic want of people (all people)wanting to be/feel like someoen else or feel what others feel.
The article is alot more than white people make these racist movies, the other examples in the text help put it all together really. Its not at allstraight-forward but in the bigger picture, ALOT of parts in these kind of movies was not necessary, especially the white main characters. That type of personwas handpicked for a reason and it makes sense from that perspective...

^Post it and see what happens!

There's tons of us who are fed up with this music (myself included)!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

grin.gif

Not exactly. Unless you're willing to admit the point of this thread is that only white people are racist.
nerd.gif
no one called anyone racist. i never used that word, not even the article i posted used that language.

all i said is the motifs in films like Avatar are hackneyed.

by making a thread titled "When are black people going to stop making ignorant music" he'd imply only Blacks make ignorant music. therearen't that many Black film studios producing films like Avatar though, no?

Maybe when The Last N___ starring Tom Hanks releases...

Us minorities have many more problems we need to take care us within our race before we can begin to worry about the white savior in a film.

no offense, but that's a cop out.

Back
Top Bottom