When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Well.

If you want it to be about race: A white guy probably wrote the film, he told the story how he saw fit.

If you want a different story then you are going to find a film made by people who are speaking from their own point of view.

But its never going to be totally one way or the other. I mean do rap videos or hood films tell a accurate story from a black persons point of view that hasnot been done over and over again?

Im not saying I am right, Im just saying that you take your experience from the movie and do something about it if you feel that passionate about the subject.show me.

Originally Posted by Kayway8

So let me get this straight, if the lead character is any race except white, this movie isn't considered racist?

I'm assuming that a white man can't embrace another culture outside of his own without debate? Or is the part where the white man becomes a "hero" that people seem to have a problem swallowing?

How are y'all coming to these conclusions from that article?

All I get is that the article is as for more depth and authenticity instead of the same shallow, biased plot lines and depictions.

Spoiler [+]
if that's racist would maniac mcgee be racist too?
eyes.gif

Good read.
Since I hadn't known too much about Avatar in the first place,
It kinda surprised me that it had that same old storyline.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

I don't think most of the people that replied so far have even read the article...
i did read the article and what they've said is pretty true IMO

what was most true for me was the quote
In the US, to talk about race is to be seen as racist. You become the problem because you bring up the problem.
you even see it here on NT all the time with HueyP in LouieV... granted you do bring up race in just about every topic, but alot of the time itswarranted

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

So let me get this straight, if the lead character is any race except white, this movie isn't considered racist?

I'm assuming that a white man can't embrace another culture outside of his own without debate? Or is the part where the white man becomes a "hero" that people seem to have a problem swallowing?
I don't even think the article is saying the movie is racist.....he was just making an observation of an artchetype in quite a few movies about imperialism and white oppression.

I liked Avatat a lot bdw.
pimp.gif

All I get is that the article is as for more depth and authenticity instead of the same shallow, biased plot lines and depictions.

Originally Posted by NYMVP

Spoiler [+]
if that's racist would maniac mcgee be racist too?
eyes.gif

my favorite book ever
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by juggy4805

mskp52.jpg

Very interesting take. Makes you think why the "relatable" character is even needed.

The relatable character is needed because the movie industry is a business. You get a white person
as the lead, you have a better chance of selling tickets than having a person of color as lead. That's
just the way it is. Of course there are a few BIG name black male actors that are the exception, but
as of December 28th, 2009, that is reality.

Y'all dudes must have gotten some real minuscule scores on the verbal portion of the SATs....

Whether Avatar is racist is a matter for debate.

The author doesn't accuse any film of being "racist" anywhere in that article...

Ironically, the same group that screams for minorities to "stop being so sensitive" have these childish, knee-jerk, emotional responses to a simpleopinion based article, written by a "caucasian" author.

Chill out, try to understand the point being made by the author and respond intelligently.

She is not accusing "white people" of being racist.

Originally Posted by Louchi

But its never going to be totally one way or the other. I mean do rap videos or hood films tell a accurate story from a black persons point of view that has not been done over and over again?

*Cue Wee-Bey .gif*

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by juggy4805

mskp52.jpg

Very interesting take. Makes you think why the "relatable" character is even needed.

The relatable character is needed because the movie industry is a business. You get a white person
as the lead, you have a better chance of selling tickets than having a person of color as lead. That's
just the way it is. Of course there is Will Smith, the lone exception, but
as of December 28th, 2009, that is reality.

I don't think most of the people that replied so far have even read the article...
painfully obvious.

Y'all dudes must have gotten some real minuscule scores on the verbal portion of the SATs....

Whether Avatar is racist is a matter for debate.

The author doesn't accuse any film of being "racist" anywhere in that article...

Ironically, the same group that screams for minorities to "stop being so sensitive" have these childish, knee-jerk, emotional responses to a simple opinion based article, written by a "caucasian" author.

Chill out, try to understand the point being made by the author and respond intelligently.

She is not accusing "white people" of being racist.

pimp.gif
, GET EM

Im not saying I am right,
well, at least we can agree....

Originally Posted by D723

But its never going to be totally one way or the other. I mean do rap videos or hood films tell a accurate story from a black persons point of view that has not been done over and over again?

*Cue Wee-Bey .gif*
LMAO. i mean be real wit me. The Wire actually did do a good job of telling different stories. aint like they told u something new. and i love thewire

Okay, so going along with the article, which perspective would you like the movie to be told in?

It's entertaining and makes money. What if a black guy made the film?? What if an American Indian did it? Would it change your opinion? This thread soundsmore racist to me than the movie.

^Basically. I'm the last person to say anything is a reach but c'mon?

I can understand the article Haze posted awhile back regarding District 9 because it provided some substance but this article is anything butthought-provoking.

"No idea's original, there's nothing new under the sun...it's never what you do but how it's done...."

Interesting piece, though, I previously read something along those lines by another columnist who had previewed the movie before its initial public release.You can definitely discern the motifs being alluded to if you pay attention just a lil bit more; my guess though, is that many of these covert themes remainjust that, covert.

Cameron is a zealous environmentalist. Knowing this, his "pro-environment" stance is yet another motif, conveyed in the movie, that is easilyidentifiable when you look beyond the superficiality of the movie. I have yet to see this movie, but I'll make an effort to change that before the week isover--hopefully.

Okay, so going along with the article, which perspective would you like the movie to be told in?

The movie was told from a perspective that the Country's "dominant" population can relate to. If the story was told strictly from the perspectiveof the natives, I suspect it would leave a bad taste in most of the audience's mouth's. The purpose of having a white lead is to make light of certaininjustices without fully alienating the audience.

Other examples
Pocahontas
Pretty much any movie about native Americans

^And from a business stance, wouldn't that be the most logical approach?

To be honest, I haven't seen the movie yet...

^And from a business stance, wouldn't that be the most logical approach?

To be honest, I haven't seen the movie yet...
Yes, hence not wanting to completely alienate the audience.

Back
Top Bottom