Where do you rank CASH MONEY among hip-hop labels?

THIS IS THE CARTER... SO HOLD ON TO YOUR TEENAGE DAUGHTER!!!!!!!!

I still remember the moment I made myself remember that hook so I could rap it with the song. I still remember asking my mama to buy Tha Carter for me. My God that summer was magical. I still hold that as his best album no question.

The carter is prolly my favorite Wayne album although I consider C2 his best work.

Dudes are wild if they not considering YM as part of the Cash Money Era. Hell it's called YMCMB. Baby and Slim def still run that ****. They just have Wayne a bigger piece of the check.

IMO

As far as success

Def Jam>>>>> Cash Money > Roc >>>> no limit and everyone else

And I am also a huge Jay fan and prolly bought just about every roc album during their era.

^The second post had Rap-A-Lot :lol: No Limit does deserve some mention though, but I think people soured on them badly when Medicine Men/Beats By The Pound left. No Limit was never the same after that, with them leaving affecting their staying power

No Limit was my **** as a kid. I was getting laughed at in NY for playing that **** :lol:

C-Murder is still one of my favorite rappers :smh:

Master P had that label putting out 30 albums a year

I was a big fan of both but I always liked No Limit more. C-Murder and Juvenile were the best out of both, most consistent too. B.G. had mad albums but some were weak. Wayne only had Lights Out. Turk's solo was trash outside of 4-5 songs. Big Tymers and Hot Boys albums were better than most of their solo albums.

Guess I'll be the first dude to give Bad Boy a shout in here :lol:

Uptown also deserves a shout.

Definitely Cold Chillin'.

Relativity.

Select Records.

JIVE Records.

Profile.

LOUD.

If you don't know, Google it.

GOOD in terms of recent labels.

Last edited:
I didn't mention Bad Boy because I was just using the similar comparison between Cash Money and No Limit.

Bad Boy is top 3 in my mind. They put out quality music for years. Quality got worse later but Bad Boy put out more quality albums than NL and CM combined.

Puff solos (not all were good)
Big
The Lox
Black Rob
G. Dep
Faith Evans
Day 26
Dirty Money
Mase
Shyne
Carl Thomas

You are not buggin'. And we should all be ashamed.

Need to give Ruthless a shout as well.

Sik Wid It.

SoSo Def?

No Limit was my **** as a kid. I was getting laughed at in NY for playing that ****
laugh.gif

C-Murder is still one of my favorite rappers
mean.gif

Master P had that label putting out 30 albums a year

I was a big fan of both but I always liked No Limit more. C-Murder and Juvenile were the best out of both, most consistent too. B.G. had mad albums but some were weak. Wayne only had Lights Out. Turk's solo was trash outside of 4-5 songs. Big Tymers and Hot Boys albums were better than most of their solo albums.
C-Murder was dope but Mac was by far the best lyrically in No Limit. Too bad he caught that murder charge. He had star potential no doubt.

Last edited:
A few more....

Tommy Boy (De La, House Of Pain, Digital Underground, Naughty By Nature, Latifah etc.)

Priority

Nervous/Wreck/Weeded/Duck Down (the whole Boot Camp Click movement)

Elektra was major under Dante Ross (Brand Nubian, Leaders Of The New School, KMD, Pete Rock and CL, Ol Dirty Bastard, Grand Puba, Busta solo, KMD)

Last edited:
Mac might have been a better rapper than C but no one had that type of presence on a track that C had. Son always had the hardest verses and you believed him too :smh: :lol:

Death Row is high up there. They had quality over quantity albums. A lot of good music came from them consistently.

Loud is probably one of the most underrated runs. They had some serious talent on that roster.

Can't believe I forgot PAYDAY!

Shout out to Patrick Moxey.

I'm just throwing some of the hot Rap labels over the years out there, but Tommy Boy, Ruthless, Jive, Loud and Profile in particular did some legendary ****.

Seeing all these highly successful past labels listed is a sad reminder of how dead the idea of the record label is today.

whether or not you like their music/artists
starting independently and being consistently successful
when many of us probably didn't think they'd still be around now
how do you see it?

how do you define successful?

we ALL know anything in any form of mainstream media never ever has to do with "TALENT"

so its no surprise that they are still here, although obvious cash money back then is way different than cash money now

shout outs to boondocks

discuss

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom