Which RB that played in the NFL recently had the best pure talent?

Ah, the 'smash' replies. That's when you know a debate is over.

No, I just so happen to live in the Pacific Northwest and had to endure endless amounts of 'Shaun Alexander -- is he the greatest RB of all time?' on sports radio.

The NT Shaun Alexander hate :lol:
You name any Seahawk and some NTer will get offended :smokin

I think you can say that about any player or team :lol:

And don't feel like the Hawks are hated on here; it is not even close to some of the teams and the automatic 'hate' that follows

And I agree about Alexander as well. He never did much for me, but did have some very good years. Nothing wrong with being a 'system' back, but not what this thread was intended for

If we're talking pure talent, then what are the measurement's for talent????? are we going by size/speed ratio?....Stats?...potential they had coming into the league???

If we're talking pure talent, then what are the measurement's for talent????? are we going by size/speed ratio?....Stats?...potential they had coming into the league???

Eye test is generally enough for me, but you decide what variables and metrics work best for you

No, I just so happen to live in the Pacific Northwest and had to endure endless amounts of 'Shaun Alexander -- is he the greatest RB of all time?' on sports radio.

Thankfully, that stuff was deaded awhile ago. Radio jockey's in Seattle are always clowining on Shaun now.

As far as the argument itself...Quite frankly, there is none. Alexander isn't anything close to being one of the most talented backs in league history. He put up historical numbers, but that's just one of those classic cases where the numbers aren't lying, but definitely are not telling the whole story.

AP is in another stratosphere.

Gotta be my guy LT, he has 7 passing TD's to go along w/ his 162 other TD's, :lol:

Also, Shaun Alexander is buns.

AP is high up on this list, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
roger craig doesnt get nearly as much credit as he should.. also ricky watters

but only 2 RBs in history have had 1000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season:

1) Roger Craig 1985: 1,050 rushing/1,016 receiving 
2) Marshall Faulk 1999: 1,381 rushing/1,048 receiving

I think Faulk is underrated if that make sense.

I hear you. He's never brought up in the conversations with the greats and he deserves to be. Faulk could do anything and everything from the RB position.

Like 6 years in a row w/ 1000 yards rushing and 80+ catches. :x :smh: Think he hit 2k yards from scrimmage 4 or 5 times in a row as well.

:smokin

I'll Add Chris Johnson to the list also, you can't teach the speed that he has, plus I think people forget that he broke Marshall Faulk's single season yards from scrimmage record, and would have probably broken Erik Dickerson's rushing record if not for a bogus holding call on a long TD run he had in the team's final game. He still hasn't had a season under 1000 yards and he's still a viable receiving threat.

Also he's still the only player in NFL history with 4 TD runs longer than 85 yards and his 12 consecutive games with 100+ yards was 2nd to only Barry Sanders

Last edited:
I honestly think Trent gets more flack than he deserves. At lot of those runs he had a defensive lineman in his face as soon as he touched the ball. Still hope for him.

Back
Top Bottom