White Sox .vs. Twins Official Series Thread...Saturday on FOXHD @ 4ET/3CT

jpzx

Supporter
Friday, April 10th

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]R.A. Dickey, RHP (0-0, -.--)
Twins (2-2)[/td] [td] @ [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Jose Contreras, RHP (0-0, -.--)
White Sox (1-2)[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Twins: Considered on the bubble for a roster spot heading into the final week of spring, Dickey earned the No. 5 spot in the rotation after Scott Baker was placed on the 15-day disabled list. The knuckleballer is coming off perhaps his best spring, having posted a 2.04 ERA in 11 appearances. That included striking out 18 batters in his 17 2/3 innings. A key to Dickey's success has been a more consistent knuckleball, which he worked on this past winter with the legendary Phil Niekro. Now the hope of the Twins and Dickey is that he can translate the improved pitch into regular season success.
White Sox: Contreras' comeback from a ruptured left achilles tendon has been impressive. Contreras suffered the injury covering first base during a game against Boston on Aug. 9. Contreras bounced back from a rough 2007 campaign to finish above .500 and lower his ERA from 5.57 to 4.54. He attacks hitters from a couple of different angles to keep them off stride and was able to throw all of his pitches during his Spring Training recovery. Contreras has a 4-3 record with a 4.13 ERA against the Twins and has a lifetime 26-20 mark with a 4.22 ERA at U.S. Cellular Field.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Saturday, April 11th

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Francisco Liriano, LHP (0-1, 5.14)
Twins (2-2)[/td] [td] @ [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Bartolo Colon, RHP (0-0, -.--)
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Twins: Liriano didn't walk away with a win in his first career Opening Day outing, but the Twins were pleased with what they saw from the left-hander. He was able to pitch seven innings, allowing four runs on four hits. His trouble was limited to a couple of mistake pitches, including a hanging slider that he left up for Ken Griffey Jr. to hit for a home run. Liriano will face his first road test of the season when he takes on the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. The lefty is 0-1 with a 5.14 ERA in two contests there.
White Sox: Colon was as durable as any starter on the White Sox staff when he threw nine complete games for the team back in 2003. But after having bone chips removed from his pitching elbow in October, the White Sox don't expect a lot of nine-inning efforts from the burly right-hander. Colon made seven starts for the Red Sox last year but has made just 35 starts over the past three seasons combined. Colon's velocity topped out in the low 90s during his Cactus League starts.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Sunday, April 12th

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Nick Blackburn, RHP (0-0, 7.20)
Twins (2-2)[/td] [td] @ [/td] [td] [/td] [td]Mark Buehrle, LHP (0-0, 3.60)
probables_divider.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Scouting Report:
Twins: It wasn't the prettiest of starts for Blackburn in his first outing of the year against the Mariners. The right-hander had to battle through five innings, giving up four runs on eight hits. The feeling of the Twins staff was that the numbers were a tad worse than Blackburn's actual performance as many of the hits were bloopers or jammed shots. But the pitcher said that he was going to work between starts on keeping his ball down in the zone as some of his pitches were a little high -- although that was perhaps a result of some first-outing jitters. In his next start, Blackburn will return to Chicago, where he delivered a gem of a performance in the club's 1-0 loss to the White Sox in a one-game tiebreaker for the AL Central title last September.
White Sox: It was not a typical start for Buehrle, as he was consistently behind Royals' hitters and had to work his way out of trouble in each of five innings pitched during his seventh Opening Day trip to the mound. By the time Clayton Richard replaced Buehrle, the White Sox ace had walked three, hit two and given up six hits, but yielded just two earned runs. Buehrle threw 97 pitches, with just 58 of them going for strikes. Buehrle blamed his Opening Day woes on being too amped up and overthrowing instead of just trying to hit his spots. He has the most wins in the history of U.S. Cellular Field at 68 and holds a 21-13 career mark against the Twins.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Historically speaking, we usually get a thorough and brisk kick in the groin the first time we visit this freakin launching pad of a stadium that is U.S.Cellular. I'm hopeful that Dickey's knuckler will throw them off enough for 5 innings. It would be a pretty good deal if we escaped with 2 out of 3.

as a true white sox fan, we have to manufacture runs, and not be as homerun dependent. Seeing my man Joe crede in the twins dugout is gonna be hard, he wasdominant in the 05' playoffs.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Don't sleep on R.A. Dickey.
You just wanted to say his name
laugh.gif
Nah
laugh.gif
...check our season thread, he was making fun of 651 and djaman for saying, "Don't sleep on R.A. Dickey."

SOX offense needs to wake the !@#$%^&* UP! The pitching has been outstanding, especially the bullpen, these first couple of games, but things get a littlebit more shaky with Contreras and Colon coming off injuries. Do something, Carlos and Alexei (damn I hope the wrist injury still isn't gonna be botheringQuentin). And damn something needs to happen with that CF position...

Cautiously optimistic, but a knuckleballer having an off day against a softball league-like hitting team in the White Sox...terrifies me.

Lineups today...

Twins

1. Denard Span. CF
2. Alexi Casilla, 2B.
3. Justin Morneau, 1B
4. Jason Kubel, DH
5. Michael Cuddyer, RF
6. Joe Crede, 3B
7. Delmon Young, LF
8. Jose Morales, C - caught Dickey a lot during camp
9. Nick Punto, SS

Pitching: R.A. Dickey

White Sox

1. Chris Getz, 2B
2. Josh Fields, 3B
3. Carlos Quentin, LF
4. Jim Thome, DH
5. Jermaine Dye, RF
6. Paul Konerko, 1B
7. A.J., C
8. Alexei Ramirez, SS
9. DeWayne Wise, CF

Pitching: Jose Contreras

There we go..nice bloop by Kubel that scores Casilla
88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif
93926c910980554dea343bb1842b4ddf9951b11e.gif

1-0

YESSSIIRRRR

Crede coming out to play against his former team
eek.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at the cheers turning to boos when he went deep

2-0

Hell yeah!
smokin.gif

9-3 w/ 0 outs

Where you at Stringer?
nerd.gif

EDIT: 10-3
eek.gif

EDIT: 11-3
eek.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

Where you at Stringer?
nerd.gif

The same place you all were at during this series

http://niketalk.com/topic/79725

grin.gif

Anyways, yeah tonight was about as bad as it gets but whatever

Josh, Carlos and Chris all had nice evenings so I'm optimistic

It's still April and we're not at were we want to be offensively.....no big surprise. I'll start worrying in June.

Considering Jose was suppose to be back sometime around the 09 All Star break, I think he threw well enough

As far as Joe Crede goes, the Sox gave him the star treatment, tribute video and player introduction. I hope he gets nothing but love when he plays againstus.

I hope he stays healthy and gets paid this off season.

I can't wait to see him Sunday

pimp.gif

Ehh...I made an appearance in that thread but whatever.

The game I was most worried about losing was tonight with R.A. having his first start with us against a squad with home-run hitters, game being played at theCell, with the wind swirling
sick.gif
sick.gif
...so I think the result was great. He pitched decent...3ER, 1HR, 4BB, 4K. Couldbe better but I wasn't really asking for more.

Morales is making huge strides. He was coming through in situations where we needed a timely hit and he handled Dickey's knuckleball pretty well which isprobably due to them working together a lot during the spring.

Denard, Alexi and Morneau are all playing great thus far
smokin.gif

Joe Crede
...I thought the White Sox fans at the game,announcers, etc. all welcomed him back with open arms to southside Chicago which was nice to see since I was wondering how they would react to him signing witha division rival. He was such a big part of that 2005 championship team so I guess I should've expected it.

Anyway..great game. We have Liriano on the hill tomorrow going against Bartolo Colon on national television
eek.gif

Stringer- Are you going to be at the game Sunday?

Back
Top Bottom