Who here generously does not listen to or cares for J. Cole

:lol: That's why i asked the question, when he's brought up amongst ****** in the barbershop and ****, that's the main reason i heard.
I legit thought y'all loved Cole on here.

Cole, Drake and Wale are never brought up in my barbershop unless they're roasting them. It seems like mostly women and the younger crowds that listen to these cats.

Cole, Drake and Wale are never brought up in my barbershop unless they're roasting them. It seems like mostly women and the younger crowds that listen to these cats.

So who in this generation of rappers who else is there to discuss? Outside of K.DOT and KRIT there's nobody else to discuss. Or does everybody in your barbershop live in the 90's?

I find Cole boring as well. He's talented and has some good songs but it just doesn't have that oomph to me.

I'd rather listen to Currensy, Bronson, Gibbs, Ross, Jeezy, A$AP Rocky, even Tity Boi or YG before I bump Cole.

I find Cole boring as well. He's talented and has some good songs but it just doesn't have that oomph to me.

I'd rather listen to Currensy, Bronson, Gibbs, Ross, Jeezy, A$AP Rocky, even Tity Boi or YG before I bump Cole.
Currensy just as boring. Most overrated, underrated ***** out there.

Even if this thread is only at 3 Pages... the hate for Cole is strong :rolleyes

I was texting my friend yesterday and telling him how someone on here posted that they blame Cole for falling asleep while listening to him driving and crasing :rofl: The jokes of him being audio nyquil have been going on for years.

When sheep can't sleep, they count J. Coles :lol:

I've loved Cole since I first heard the Warm Up. FNL was fantastic. His debut was alright, I enjoyed it. Born Sinner was alright. I really enjoy FHD.... but that's just me. IDK how people can call 2014 FHD boring or the production on it... But ehhh, everything's not for everyone.

Last edited:
I **** with J. Cole but, this kinda reminds me of when naS came out with "hero" and everyone was hyped for the album only to be let down.

him and Wale are in the same boat its like they have sooo much potential but can never really deliver out side of they top mixtapes (The Warm Up & More About Nothing)

seems like they stuck catering to yo average HBCU student or african american female

in the Young Money days with Wayne I always thought this as well

when he branched off I gave him another chance and looked pass his Mono tone voice once I did that its been :smokin ever since

its hard to be a hip hop head, sneakerhead, or stoner and not enjoy his project Covert Coupe with Alchemist

On production alone Currensy > Cole. And he ate both Wale and Cole's food and invaded their homes on "Rather be With You".

I **** with J. Cole but, this kinda reminds me of when naS came out with "hero" and everyone was hyped for the album only to be let down.

Who was let down by Untitled?

NaS is my favorite rapper. Between him and Pac but "Untitled" is my least favorite NaS album. I can't even listen to it. The production is so damn bad on that album. I know mad people complain about NaS' production and I don't have any problems with it except for "Untitled". Can't listen to it, at all.

Curren$y on No Limit >>>> Any Curren$y

Curren$y >>>> J Cole

But why yall hating on Cole & Kendrick in these latest threads? These are the main dudes trying to bring back hip hop to the point where we all want it to be. All this hate for true artists and yet that bum Drake gets a pass...OK

^^mos def... Curren$y my favorite rapper at the moment. Has been for a minute. Not boring at all... Sure his subject matter is limited but he does it great. He doesn't make songs for females, he doesn't put the p on a pedestal , or make feel good songs for people with low self esteem.
I understand why dudes who like drake and j cole wouldn't like currensy...

All clipse did was talk about pushing but those dudes made great music.

Last edited:
He's probably the most relatable rapper to my generation(19-24) so I do get his hype to an extend, but I just hate when his fans act like his lyrics are so deep & he's the only conscious rapper when there's so many other rappers doing what he does so much better.

Nothing about J cole stands out. He's the most generic mainstream rapper the game has ever seen. FNL and Sideline Story were dope but he doesn't have the it factor that's for sure. Still dude somehow convinced a million people to cop his album and he's gonna do a tour with a couple of arena stops. His marketing team deserves an award or something.

Last edited:
Nothing about J cole stands out. He's the most generic mainstream rapper the game has ever seen. FNL and Sideline Story were dope but he doesn't have the it factor that's for sure. Still dude somehow convinced a million people to cop his album and he's gonna do a tour with a couple of arena stops. His marketing team deserves an award or something.
Marketing? lol dude sold 345k in the first week with no promotion with a release date announced on twitter two weeks earlier. When have u ever heard jay-z even say j. coles name in public. They didn't wanna release his first album because he didn't have a big single. When have u ever seen j. cole on ellen or, the view , kimme or some **** like that. Dude has a connection with his fans. That's all.

Marketing? lol dude sold 345k in the first week with no promotion with a release date announced on twitter two weeks earlier. When have u ever heard jay-z even say j. coles name in public. They didn't wanna release his first album because he didn't have a big single. When have u ever seen j. cole on ellen or, the view , kimme or some **** like that. Dude has a connection with his fans. That's all.

Im convinced a lot of you dudes don't even know what all marketing entails :lol:

Last edited:
Im convinced a lot of you dudes don't even know what all marketing entails
laugh.gif
please enlighten me. J. Cole is hard to market because he doesn't do alot of interviews, he doesn't have the most outgoing personality and doesn't put out big radio records. What type of marketing did sony/rocnation give j. cole this time around.

I used to call J. Cole a no frills Drake but even that is giving him too much credit. He's talented to a degree but I really think dude is really a boring rapper. 

Im convinced a lot of you dudes don't even know what all marketing entails :lol:
please enlighten me. J. Cole is hard to market because he doesn't do alot of interviews, he doesn't have the most outgoing personality and doesn't put out big radio records. What type of marketing did sony/rocnation give j. cole this time around.

Showing up to a fans house with staff from Power 106 to play the album early is marketing. Having fans come to your house to hear the album early is marketing, Taylor Swift literally did the same exact thing mid last year for her album. Showing up at LSU to play catch and talk to fans is marketing. Showing up at Morehouse to talk to students in class is marketing. Going to a gym to hoop with fans the day before your release is marketing. Renting out a theater to watch a Chris Rock movie with your fans is marketing. Do I need to go on?

All his fans running around talking about he did all this with no marketing, etc. It was right there the whole time, just in a non traditional way. They say the best salesman are the ones who make you feel like you're not being sold to.

I'm not gonna sit up here and say he didn't genuinely wanna be at the Eric Garner or Ferguson protests but even something like that can be looked at as marketing. It's all about crafting a image.

Cole whole image is based off being a "anti-mainstream" humble, regular everyday dude and he worked it to perfection with this last album. His team gave him a marketing strategy that had a real personal touch and it was brilliant. They've always been A1 tho, for example that Dollar and a Dream tour was good *** idea.

As far as the music I wish I could like this ***** as much as everybody else does :lol:. I appreciate his substance and the talent is definitely there I just can't get into it like that. It's hard to explain I usually check every project and like some songs but I never have a urge to listen to it ever again. I definitely see his appeal tho.

Last edited:

He did a bunch of interviews and promo to make himself look like a humble dude to the masses. You think he went to Ferguson cause he really cares? His shots at white rappers was a blatant attempt at taking advantage of the racial turmoil in the country. Going after a white female rapper when Iggy didn't even win a Grammy Kendrick did. It was all about affirming himself as the rapper for the 'real' and 'socially conscious' people out there. Meanwhile he still calls women out of there names like any other rapper. He's a fraud. His lyrical conscious rapper image is as textbook as your ever gonna see in rap. As you said he has zero personality and his music is as basic as it get's. He played up that conscious image to max prior to the release of his last album.

Last edited:
He did a bunch of interviews and promo to make himself look like a humble dude to the masses. You think he went to Ferguson cause he really cares? His shots at white rappers was a blatant attempt at taking advantage of the racial turmoil in the country. Going after a white female rapper when Iggy didn't even win a Grammy Kendrick did. It was all about affirming himself as the rapper for the 'real' and 'socially conscious' people out there. Meanwhile he still calls women out of there names like any other rapper. He's a fraud. His lyrical conscious rapper image is as textbook as your ever gonna see in rap. As you said he has zero personality and his music is as basic as it get's. He played up that conscious image to max prior to the release of his last album.
lol. Since when has being conscious equated to record sales. How many platinum albums have common, kweli, mos had. Conscious rap doesn't sell. If ur trying to sell records the last thing u would do be conscious. If we was trying to sell records he would do chick songs like wale, drake, big sean... As far as calling women ******* who doesn't? Common does, tupac did. That doesn't dilute their message. Tupac did songs like "i get around" and "temptation" then turned around and did "Dear momma" and" Brenda's got a baby". If you don't like his music or think it's boring that's one thing but for u to sit here and act like him visiting ferguson was for show is ridiculous. Where was all the other rappers, athletes... during the ferguson riots. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom