Who really cares if Rose cheated?

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

[table][tr][td]
off_line.gif
tmay407[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][-][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 05/29/09 8:31 PM
[/td] [td]
If you're taking classes full-time (which Rose was), being a student (or student-athlete in Rose's case) certainly can be considered a "profession."
[/td] [/tr][/table]
No it can't, you're requred by the law to be in school at that age. Basketball, or any sport, is an extracurricular. A professional earns a salary, chop it up like you want to.
I'm talking about college, which isn't a requirement...

i dont think some of you guys know just how bad the hood he came from was !@$% id do anything to get out of that death trap too cheatin on a test to makemillions? come on now you keep your pride ill take the mils

tmay407 wrote:

[table][tr][td]
off_line.gif
tmay407[/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][-][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 05/29/09 8:31 PM
[/td] [td]
If you're taking classes full-time (which Rose was), being a student (or student-athlete in Rose's case) certainly can be considered a "profession."
[/td] [/tr][/table]
No it can't, you're requred by the law to be in school at that age. Basketball, or any sport, is an extracurricular. A professional earns a salary, chop it up like you want to.
I'm talking about college, which isn't a requirement...

ahhhh, only because some people live off student loan refunds....I might argue that he was more of a athlete-student in college.

I also feel that being a student becomes a profession in graduate school, not undergrad T.

I might argue that he was more of a athlete-student in college.
And there's your number one problem with the NCAA...but that's for another day and a different time.

I also feel that being a student becomes a profession in graduate school, not undergrad T.
I guess our views of what exactly constitutes a profession differ.

I'm making money this summer by working at a hardware store. By no means do I consider myself to be a "professional" in the hardware industry.People come in asking me for things, and I have no clue what to tell them. I don't really know my head from my @$* in the hardware store. But by the"making money" standards, I'm a professional. I worked as a lifeguard last summer to make money. By no means would I say that being a lifeguardmade me "professional."

Does the line get drawn in the sand there because I'm not planning on doing these jobs long-term? Can that be countered by the fact that these temporaryjobs provide almost all of my income for the year?

In my opinion (and there are plenty of other people in the world that agree with me), by being enrolled in college full-time, you're giving up an economicopportunity of having a full-time job. Because you're giving up this full-time job opportunity in order to further your education and hopefully be able toobtain a more advanced full-time job in the future, being enrolled as a full-time student can be considered as a "profession."
As a side note to this: A lot of students aren't able to carry the workload of a semester's worth of schooling while working a part-time job. Ihaven't been able to work the last couple of semesters due to heavy course loads and not having the extra time for a job. As soon as I hit the edit button,I forgot what I was trying to say with this, so hopefully this makes sense.

Like I said earlier, of course there are going to be people that take the term "profession" in its most literal sense and say that you MUST makemoney in order to have a profession. I guess it just depends on how literal your view is of professions...

derrick rose is not better than any of us, no matter how bad his neighbourhood was... they should just kick him out the league, cause he's setting thewrong example for kids, and that is not what david stern wants

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

morally, it was wrong. but he's getting paid right now. that's all that matters.
This type of thinking will ruin us all.

I can't believe..actually I can..ppl think think he is so wrong for this.

Its deeper than just..derrick has terrible morals or he is an idiot.

This is years and years of a prime example of a failing educational system. A system that pimps these children and the surrounding neighborhoods. I had to goto school outside of englewood in order to get where I am today.

And please believe I will bet my life their were many non athletes who were "pushed" through to graduation..their is no room in schools anymore notto mention the schools receive kickbacks for improved graduation rates.

So what does that say..derrick played a system that had played him all his life? I don't find anything wrong with that. And don't get me started on thencaa and myles brand one of the biggest crooks in the ghetto right now

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

derrick rose is not better than any of us, no matter how bad his neighbourhood was... they should just kick him out the league, cause he's setting the wrong example for kids, and that is not what david stern wants

alien.gif

Can someone please insert the Ari **** GIF? Please...or maybe the Killa Season head bust by Cam. Get 'em!

Originally Posted by D723

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

morally, it was wrong. but he's getting paid right now. that's all that matters.
This type of thinking will ruin us all.
No it won't. I know it sounds like the right thing to say, but it really won't.

Well, we can't be surprised by any of this. Athletes typically get hookups regular students/people don't get, whether they're justly hyped oroverhyped. Is it unfair? Yes. That's how we have the Isiah Riders, Dexter Manleys, Rae Carruths, Dwight Goodens, Darryl Strawberrys, etc. in the world nowas a result. They get conditioned to think that consequences don't apply to them and when reality shows them otherwise, it's a trainwreck. The onesthat only have athletic ability to carry them in life are the ones who're really deep in the hurt locker.

this stuff is not always the reality of a 'star' recruit. Nor do I think we gota look at all these kids strictly as basketball players. There is moreto it at some places and with some kids.

This crap happens at places like Memphis, now Kentucky, Uconn, USC, etc.

we wouldn't see this happen at Carolina, Duke, current UCLA, G'town, etc.

My solution...

Make college a 2 year requirement for these kids or give them the choice to go pro again. 1 year is pointless.

and let's not act like Rose had to do this to get outa the hood either. He was being taken care by this point. He made a poor decision....but even worseare his handlers and Cal that pushed those decisions.

And it's easy to say now, that he was lock to be an NBA player and a star. That's not always the case.

Take John Riek for example....lotto pick 2 years ago..now will we even see him in the NBA? He coulda gone one way and did his academics, found a good schooland be on track right now, but instead he got mixed in with the wrong side of the business.

I can't fault the players, it's the AAU coaches/agents/relatives that lead them in the wrong direction. But the kids gota wake up and see that there ismore than basketball and that part of life MIGHT be needed at some point.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

this stuff is not always the reality of a 'star' recruit. Nor do I think we gota look at all these kids strictly as basketball players. There is more to it at some places and with some kids.

This crap happens at places like Memphis, now Kentucky, Uconn, USC, etc.

we wouldn't see this happen at Carolina, Duke, current UCLA, G'town, etc.

My solution...

Make college a 2 year requirement for these kids or give them the choice to go pro again. 1 year is pointless.

and let's not act like Rose had to do this to get outa the hood either. He was being taken care by this point. He made a poor decision....but even worse are his handlers and Cal that pushed those decisions.

And it's easy to say now, that he was lock to be an NBA player and a star. That's not always the case.

Take John Riek for example....lotto pick 2 years ago..now will we even see him in the NBA? He coulda gone one way and did his academics, found a good school and be on track right now, but instead he got mixed in with the wrong side of the business.

I can't fault the players, it's the AAU coaches/agents/relatives that lead them in the wrong direction. But the kids gota wake up and see that there is more than basketball and that part of life MIGHT be needed at some point.

no, what worse are the people that think it's okay or not that bad what derrick rose did. he is not better than any of us so he shouldnt deserve anyspecial treatment.

If DRose was afraid he couldn't get a 620....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

That is practically impossible, unless you are really, really, really, really, really dumb.

Thats just it, he didn't get special treatment...he made it for himself. There is nothing wrong with making it happen to yourself.

Can any of you that do care about this tell me you have never done anything considered "wrong" by the status quo to get something or somewhere inlife? Or are you all perfect angels that work hard and just wait on your "turn" or "break"?

Rose would have been drafted straight out of HS if rules permitted. Bassy made it possible for HS guards to come out. So please stop making it seem as thoughhe was not a lock for the league. Injury be damned, he still made it.

Originally Posted by acidicality

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

That is practically impossible, unless you are really, really, really, really, really dumb.
....and if he was so afraid and so dumb, at least he had enough sense not to take that test. Its a lot of folks that can't pass those testsbut keep going in and failing. So according to some of you on the board, they get your respect.

Thats just it, he didn't get special treatment...he made it for himself. There is nothing wrong with making it happen to yourself.

Can any of you that do care about this tell me you have never done anything considered "wrong" by the status quo to get something or somewhere in life? Or are you all perfect angels that work hard and just wait on your "turn" or "break"?

Rose would have been drafted straight out of HS if rules permitted. Bassy made it possible for HS guards to come out. So please stop making it seem as though he was not a lock for the league. Injury be damned, he still made it.
i don't think anyone is really on Rose's case about it.

It's not about him specifically...the question was who really cares....I for one, do. Not with him personally but with how certain things go down.

To think this is the norm in college basketball isn't correct and I hope it never gets to that point. "It happens everywhere". no, this stuffdoes not. And I mean Tim Floyd, Jim Calhoun, John Calipari stuff. which is what this is.
Rose would have been drafted straight out of HS if rules permitted. Bassy made it possible for HS guards to come out. So please stop making it seem as though he was not a lock for the league. Injury be damned, he still made it.
who you tellin?
laugh.gif

Again, it's not just about Derrick Rose. How's Lenny Cooke doin? He was a lock his jr year of HS..

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

....and if he was so afraid and so dumb, at least he had enough sense not to take that test. Its a lot of folks that can't pass those tests but keep going in and failing. So according to some of you on the board, they get your respect.
To get a 620, you really just have to put your name on it and answer a few questions right. Well, yeah, I guess you're right, if he knew hereally couldn't get that score, then sure that was "smart" of him, but I just can't understand why Rose would need someone to take the testfor him, unless he just simply didn't want to take it or something.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

....and if he was so afraid and so dumb, at least he had enough sense not to take that test. Its a lot of folks that can't pass those tests but keep going in and failing. So according to some of you on the board, they get your respect.

drose is that you? sheesh.

i think half of the people here arguing with you are doing so simply because youre going out of your way to condone what happened. No one is saying he's afelon but the dude ain't a hero for what he did.

so if you keep failing at a test, you just cheat and let someone else take it? good idea, you should tell your kids that when they grow up. dont take tests orkeep working at it, let someone else take it for you.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

so if you keep failing at a test, you just cheat and let someone else take it? good idea, you should tell your kids that when they grow up. dont take tests or keep working at it, let someone else take it for you.

QFT

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Is this the type of philosophy you will pass down to your kids?

Back
Top Bottom