Who will get more love when they retire, Derek Jeter or Kobe?

The MLB is not the 2nd most popular professional league

In the middle of their season Lebrons free agent decision got tons more coverage
yes it is

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

from that article

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).

I'm sorry but I just can't buy a single Harris poll as the definitive answer.

The FInals have outrated the World Series 5 outta the last 6 years.

the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent)
how serious can you take that poll after this ^ 1%?!?!? please

I'll go with Jeter. Kobe is an all timer and it will definitely be a sad day when he hangs them up, but he has too much baggage. Jeter? That cat should write a book on how to be a superstar athlete.

You're average person doesn't give a **** about Jeter.

Kobe is loved everywhere. Name me another player who gets MVP chants outside of their hometown?

I'm thinking it's the opposite.

You have rival Met and Red Sox fans who outright say "I can't hate Jeter". Small scale obviously, but do you have Clipper fans saying "I can't hate on Kobe"?

Totally unrelated but the clippers don't have a fanbase and never did. Maybe they gained some popularity when Blake and CP3 game but aside from that, they never had fans on that level like the mets and Red Sox do.

The MLB is not the 2nd most popular professional league

In the middle of their season Lebrons free agent decision got tons more coverage
yes it is

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

from that article

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).
that poll doesnt prove how popular a sport is.

You know what does? TV rights deals. Because networks arent going to fight over a sport thats not that popular.

You know who has the 2 biggest TV deals? The NFL and NBA.

Cmon. NBA 1% lower than the NHL? :lol: :lol:

Then why are networks about to bid a gajillion dollars over the NBA tv rights in couple years while the NHL playoffs games are on CNBC?

NBA's new deal is expected to be around 15 billion. Does that sound like the 5th most popular sport to you?

Anyone who thinks MLB is more popular than the NBA are just die hard baseball fans.

I love both sports but I can look at it objectively and it's clear who's #2 in America...

Kobe is a far more popular player worldwide than Derek Jeter.

Jeter's heyday as a star/celebrity also passed a while ago.

I'm not an avid NBA follower by any means, but because of the amount of other stars and injuries he's faced, is Kobe almost an afterthought in this days league?

Kobe. My fam in china know who he is. People yell his name when they throw garbage, dudes a household name.

I say Derek Jeter.  A true legend, not some carbon copy player of another great player.  Kobe on the other hand, can't wait till the ***** is gone and out the league.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  He deserves no praise or recognition whatsoever.  The same way his hometown booed him during the all-star game is the same farewell he should received when he finally leaves.  One less ***** to worry about. 

What a hateful and ignorant response. There's nothing more original about Jeter as a shortstop than Kobe is as a shooting guard. Just say that you hate him and it's personal and don't bother arguing any substantive points because clearly your feelings aren't based on anything objective. :lol:

I have rooted against some athletes, and you're entitled to feel how you want, but it seems petty/childish to have that much hatred for somebody you've never met. Like I don't like KG's attitude and demeanor and I rooted against the Celts but I still respect him as a player and will appreciate his career when he retires. *shrugs*

I say Derek Jeter.  A true legend, not some carbon copy player of another great player.  Kobe on the other hand, can't wait till the ***** is gone and out the league.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.  He deserves no praise or recognition whatsoever.  The same way his hometown booed him during the all-star game is the same farewell he should received when he finally leaves.  One less ***** to worry about. 
What a hateful and ignorant response. There's nothing more original about Jeter as a shortstop than Kobe is as a shooting guard. Just say that you hate him and it's personal and don't bother arguing any substantive points because clearly your feelings aren't based on anything objective.
laugh.gif

I have rooted against some athletes, and you're entitled to feel how you want, but it seems petty/childish to have that much hatred for somebody you've never met. Like I don't like KG's attitude and demeanor and I rooted against the Celts but I still respect him as a player and will appreciate his career when he retires. *shrugs*
Hateful??.....there was nothing hateful about my statement at all.  I didn't wish death on Kobe or anything of the sort.  Also, don't speak on matters you don't know.  You don't know if I met Kobe or not, that was just an assumption on your part, and a bad one at that.  If you don't know something, feel free to ask. There is nothing wrong with asking, instead of making yourself look foolish in the process.  If you didn't like my last statement, well prepare yourself for this next one champ, now sit back and listen.

Nobody compares Derek Jeter to anyone, he is a 1 of 1.  Kobe on the other hand, well we all know who he wants to be like, stole his moves from, and has been practicing to be like ever since he picked up a basketball as a young snot-nosed punk.  I liken Kobe to someone who is going threw an identity crisis.  Reason being is because it appears as if he doesn't know who he wants to be.  Does he want to a caring teammate, or does he want to throw his teammates under the bus and snitch on folks.   I mean, we really have to ask ourselves, who is Kobe and more importantly does Kobe even know who he is. 

With that being said, let me just reiterate for you and others again.  I *Bart Scott*..can't wait until Kobe is retired and out of the league.  Hell, some would say Kobe is retired and out of the league now.  Like a wounded horse that is on it's last leg and no longer able to run a race, we see how and why Kobe should be put out to pasture.  When he plays his last game at Verizon Center in DC, I plan to bring a megaphone inside with me as I lead the Verizon Center in a chorus of boo's to let Kobe and as well as his diminishing fanbase such you and others just how we feel about Kobe loud and clear. WE want this ***** out of the league immediately if not sooner, happy days will be here again
happy.gif
@5am6oody72 ....*Kool Moe Dee*........."How ya like me now"!!

What's the verdict? 

Has to be Kobe due to global presence. Sure baseball is in Asia, but when you look over at Europe, people are way quicker to know Kobe over Derek.

Never forget tho :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom