Why are prenups taboo?

I know the 50s nuclear family model isn't a reality for many, but let's say you have children and after one parent decides to be a stay at home mom or dad. That person is making no income (or little income), but there is tremendous value - economic value as well as social value - to you and to the family for that person doing so. That person is also sacrificing years of work experience, skills generation, etc. so that if that person does decide to go back to work later - maybe after a divorce - that person's earning potential and very hire-ability has been seriously damaged, set back for years - possibly irrevocably.
That's because it's unrealistic now unless the provider can afford to live comfortably. There was a reason back in the 50s and 60s, a man could have a mortgage, a car and a wife to stay at home to take care of the children all while bringing in just one income. And I don't buy there being social value to having that kind of arrangement. Many families have households in which both parents work while managing to raise their children and they turned out fine. I know quite a few people who are well off multiple times over that have the aforementioned arrangement and the mother plays no role in raising the children. What is "ours" if you bring absolutely nothing to the table and contribute zilch?

People get married because "Its the next step" or " I Love them so much/ don't wanna be without them" and that's why the divorce rate is 50%. We as humans are fickle and our emotions change CONSTANTLY, so your marriage should have a firm foundation/ basis other than " Your fun to be around." This kind of thinking is why pre-nups are even brought up. Cus ppl change like the season. People need to really examine themselves and take on a more selfless approach. If you focus more on what you can do for your spouse ( whom you share core fundamental beliefs and complementary character qualities with) then this thread wouldn't exist, and no longer pop up every other week..

Trust stretch I think marriage in 2013 is outdated, no fault divorce has made marriage a joke.

Talk to older people with a successful marriage (whom I look up to) most are older, like 60's. they'll tell 'the key to a successful marriage is having your own lives.'
You should give up everything for them, but why would you WANT to in the first place if they never let you be yourself? I don't like girls that don't allow me to do the things I like to do, i give up something's of course, but my ability to think freely, is the most important to me, I'm sure you liked me because I treated you the way you wanted to be treated, why would you want to change that for a more 'ours' centered approach if the current approach is working for us? Unless its not working for you, then we shouldn't get married anyway because I'm not treating you how you want to be treated.

A marriage should be an agreement, through thick and thin, but in reality it's not fair to ask another person to give up their lives when you're being ****** to them, for whatever reason. It's hard to be considerate when things in people's life change, get sick, mom dies, lose job etc. marriage is suppose outlast that, but people aren't patient with the marriage, people aren't patient in general.

You permanently injure yourself and fall into a deep depression, constantly berating your wife, ignoring the children etc. is it fair to ask her to endure that for years? Trap her in a **** situation?

While it doesn't happen to a lot of people, I'm not so arrogant to say it wouldn't happen to me. I may end up changing and completely hating my wife, I want her to be taken care of if I'm being a jerk.

I'm in my 2nd year of lawschool, even if I fail out ill be able to get a good job, I'm less concerned with her taking my space jams and more concerned with me being the bread winner and then snatching that from her because of my cleverness.

I'm single, concerned over my future, possibly non existent , wife. Some people don't want prenup out of concern of the other spouse, I know who I am and want those I care about to be protected no matter what I do.

I think marriage is more the issue....maybe she shouldn't be willing to marry a guy that has cheated on her multiple times....maybe marriage should be take more seriously

That's the main issue. People are getting married faster than they know the person. Like OP said, she broke up w/ dude b/c he cheated, and not too long after got back w/ him and wants to get married, it's not logical in the least bit. Dudes fall in love w/ the box and vice versa for ladies w/ the pole and wanna get married, but as soon as the thrill is gone, ish hits the fan.

A Pre-nup is not a bad decision and only those w/ a lot to lose prior to marriage think about them.....the sound thinking ones of course

Ca
The only thing I need a prenup for his is two things.

1. 50/50 custody (If childern are involved)
2. No child support payment or alimony..etc.

She can have my pokemon cards.
Can she have 30% of your estate from now until she dies? Even if she gets remarried?

What about the tax deductions?

How bout the house? She could get one of your cars.

Like trust, it's not just about what you have now, but what you'll have in the future because they def award women **** you don't have, the 'impute' income, which means they make up what you should have and give her half. Honestly, it's not fair.

Well okay. No marriage. I guess she lose out on pokemon cards.

I think people don't take marriage as seriously as it should be, that's why you both do and don't need a prenup. It's hard to find someone on the same page to where it's not needed, especially these days. Grass always looks greener on social media.

what you should have done is try to slap some sense in to her to let her know that she shouldn't be marrying someone who has cheated on her multiple times.

I'd get one, I've been seeing dudes get taken thru the ringer, working with a lot of women I hear it all.

Broads who were cheating on their husbands while they were deployed, demanding alimony, the house, and her car payments be paid, and they don't even have kids.

We living in a microwave generation, just read the paper and see how many people are getting divorced everyday

Because they know in a couple years (if that) their vaginas drastically lose value and a new model comes out. It's like your car askin you to promise to never trade it on no matter how bad the engine gets

Having a prenup doesn't mean the marriage won't workout. Only with prenup a do we hold this logic. We promote helmets on bikes, we promote seat belts in cars, life insurance, health insurance...and a whole bunch if other 'in case **** goes down' yet when it comes to the biggest decision of our life, a safety valve is somehow an indicator that its going to fail. I really don't get the logic.

Cuz nobody wants to go into a marriage thinking "when we break up." And everybody thinks they're gonna be that one couple that's together forever

Only the 'poorer' party is usually against having a pre-nup. When both are well off, it usually isn't a problem. Only when the economic statuses are far apart does it become a much bigger issue.

Only the 'poorer' party is usually against having a pre-nup. When both are well off, it usually isn't a problem. Only when the economic statuses are far apart does it become a much bigger issue.

Lol what? Rich people can lose a LOT either way. I kids are involved its game over for the husband

Lol what? Rich people can lose a LOT either way. I kids are involved its game over for the husband

If you read through my post again, you'd understand that what i meant was:

When both are rich, signing a pre-nup is usually not a problem. Both parties are amenable to more often that not.

Reading and comprehension are fundamental.

Back
Top Bottom