Why did the OG Air Jordan VIII only release in 3 cws?

Kind of already touched on this a while back over in the "When did MJ wear those" thread...

http://niketalk.com/t/236374/official-when-did-mj-wear-those-post-and-faqs/900

As for samples...Here's an older one for the OG VIII Preschool size...

View media item 1755577View media item 1755578

I wanted to reference this because I remember us talking about the 8's only 3 OG CW's and you posting these and really intrigued by this sample 4th CW. Nike was amazing in the early 90's

The VIIIs were long designed, completed and had all already released by the time Michael Jordan's father was murdered in July of 1993. In fact, they were already looking ahead to the Xs (as the IXs would be released that following season).

Simply put, signature models didn't release in the abundance of colors that they do now. Air Jordans have almost always averaged anywhere from 3-5 colors.

II: 2
III, IV and V: 4
VI and VII: 5
IX: 4
XI: 3
XII: 4
This. Newer dudes into shoes don't understand this concept. It's kinda messed up how newer people that are into shoes are conditioned to anticipate 11 billion colors in a shoe and every other marketing scheme they think of just to take your money. Imo, I think the zillion colorway strategy hurt the Lebron and Kobe lines. It takes away from the shoe to me. 

This. Newer dudes into shoes don't understand this concept. It's kinda messed up how newer people that are into shoes are conditioned to anticipate 11 billion colors in a shoe and every other marketing scheme they think of just to take your money. Imo, I think the zillion colorway strategy hurt the Lebron and Kobe lines. It takes away from the shoe to me. 
The concept isn't new at all-OG AJ 1s were released in 20+ CWs... I'll await your response.

The concept isn't new at all-OG AJ 1s were released in 20+ CWs... I'll await your response.
That's one example, but thanks sneaker professor for enlightening me.

That's one example, but thanks sneaker professor for enlightening me.
Lol well it was the 1st shoe of the line... You still haven't addressed my point. I'll await your answer.
I'm not sure what you are waiting to be addressed since you pointed out the mistake. Have fun waiting, but you'll be fine since you have the entire AJ history down cold. Peace. 

I'm not sure what you are waiting to be addressed since you pointed out the mistake. Have fun waiting, but you'll be fine since you have the entire AJ history down cold. Peace. 

So you think the number of cws hurt the Lebron and Kobe lines but, to your same logic, don't have an effect on the AJ 1?

So you think the number of cws hurt the Lebron and Kobe lines but, to your same logic, don't have an effect on the AJ 1?
you pointed out ONE example with the AJ1, I grant you that. There weren't 20+ cws of each model of the original AJ lines. As other's pointed out 3-5 cws for each shoe during the original run. There were no BHM in the AJ IIIs, IVs, etc in the 80's and all the silly conjured up cws to market shoes. To answer your question, yes I do think all those silly cws diminish those lines. If it touched a nerve because you're a fan, so be it. It's my opinion. Can you put on your big boy pants and accept that? If not , go pick a fight with someone else. You aren't exactly making an apples to apples comparison.

you pointed out ONE example with the AJ1, I grant you that. There weren't 20+ cws of each model of the original AJ lines. As other's pointed out 3-5 cws for each shoe during the original run. There were no BHM in the AJ IIIs, IVs, etc in the 80's and all the silly conjured up cws to market shoes. To answer your question, yes I do think all those silly cws diminish those lines. If it touched a nerve because you're a fan, so be it. It's my opinion. Can you put on your big boy pants and accept that? If not , go pick a fight with someone else. You aren't exactly making an apples to apples comparison.

Ok.. So what about all the additional Retro+ cws of retros that JB has added? Did adding those additional cws hurt those lines? Do you only wear/own OG cws as a result?

Ok.. So what about all the additional Retro+ cws of retros that JB has added? Did adding those additional cws hurt those lines? Do you only wear/own OG cws as a result?
Key word, OG run. I was answering it in the context of the thread YOU created. Again, stop looking for a fight. Now, it you want to include the retro phase, that's an entirely different discussion. Stick to your own topic man. 

Key word, OG run. I was answering it in the context of the thread YOU created. Again, stop looking for a fight. Now, it you want to include the retro phase, that's an entirely different discussion. Stick to your own topic man. 

Ain't worth it man. The 1 was really based off the dunk which also had a ton of colorways. The 2 is really the first unique design in the air jordan line

Last edited:

Well the Air Jordan 1 did have several colors, but you gotta remember over half were never sold to the public. You had B/Reds, Chicago, Royal, Shadows, UNC, Wht/Navy, Blk Toes (wht tongue), Neutral Greys, Wht/Blk, and the 6 Metallics. That's 15 not counting KOs and lows. Honestly that's probably one of the reason the AJ 1 flopped and hit sale racks, and the line was almost scrapped. It did too much from the jump. Less was more.

The Kobe, KD, and LBJ line is overly saturated IMO. Not only do you have the sig, you have secondary models, and lifestyle models. Shuffling classics and introducing future classics was a smarter move. I think that's why JB line was so successful. Remember waiting months for the next shoe?

Now hit the fast forward button. Older heads like myself see the line being saturated, and I can agree. But in the same token I see why they do so. Everyone is a sneakerhead now. So they have to demands, give several options, while maximize profit$ in the process.

this.

they probably meant to release the 9s in early 94, but with MJ retiring they moved up the release to coincide with the start of basketball season since they didnt have the vehicle of having MJ premiere them in the ASG like he did in the past
This is so true... I remember trying to catch Bulls pre season games to catch a glimpse of what Mike was wearing. This was the only way to see what was coming out back then. You hoped for a foul, instant replay, or a timeout for them to change the camera for a close up.

this.

they probably meant to release the 9s in early 94, but with MJ retiring they moved up the release to coincide with the start of basketball season since they didnt have the vehicle of having MJ premiere them in the ASG like he did in the past
This is so true... I remember trying to catch Bulls pre season games to catch a glimpse of what Mike was wearing. This was the only way to see what was coming out back then. You hoped for a foul, instant replay, or a timeout for them to change the camera for a close up.

Oh man I used to do this all the time. I wached so many Bulls games just staring at MJ's feet just trying to get a good look at what he had on :lol:

The VIIIs were long designed, completed and had all already released by the time Michael Jordan's father was murdered in July of 1993. In fact, they were already looking ahead to the Xs (as the IXs would be released that following season).

Simply put, signature models didn't release in the abundance of colors that they do now. Air Jordans have almost always averaged anywhere from 3-5 colors.

II: 2
III, IV and V: 4
VI and VII: 5
IX: 4
XI: 3
XII: 4

This is it. JB is just cashing in on the shoe craze now. Back then, you got a release every 3 or so months and it went like this:

November-white home colorway to start nba season
February-all star color for all star/MJ birthday
May- Black Playoff color
Summer months-a new color to hold you over until the start of the basketball season. This is where the cardinal 7's came into play

You got 3-4 releases a year. That was that. Not a damn release every week. JB is over saturating the market. This is why if it isn't a limited kick, I really don't want it anymore.

This is it. JB is just cashing in on the shoe craze now. Back then, you got a release every 3 or so months and it went like this:

November-white home colorway to start nba season
February-all star color for all star/MJ birthday
May- Black Playoff color
Summer months-a new color to hold you over until the start of the basketball season. This is where the cardinal 7's came into play

You got 3-4 releases a year. That was that. Not a damn release every week. JB is over saturating the market. This is why if it isn't a limited kick, I really don't want it anymore.
But, with those 3 or 4 releases, you could buy them months later after release day. I remember my mom buying me the Concord XI for Christmas back in 95.... mens size 12, that released more than a month earlier. Thats what we are getting back to. They will cut back releases and put a chokehold on things again one day... but I am grabbing while its easy. It reminds me of the good ole days, before hype was even a factor.

They weren't sitting. They would release on a Tuesday. By Saturday, they would sell out of most sizes. They would restock full-size runs for about a month or so. Just back then, there was no internet and everybody wasn't thrilled about dropping $100-125 for a sneaker. Now, JB send a shipment to a chain store, there is no restock of sizes. You get what you get. Releases are dropping to fast per week to restock on last week's kicks.

I don't think things changed until around the Lebron 6 when they released 20 something colorways. After that it became pretty standard among the signature lines.

I don't think things changed until around the Lebron 6 when they released 20 something colorways. After that it became pretty standard among the signature lines.

That's true as well. Many factors come into play. Young player, younger generations, the bright colors were becoming popular, shoe game exploding, etc

But, with those 3 or 4 releases, you could buy them months later after release day. I remember my mom buying me the Concord XI for Christmas back in 95.... mens size 12, that released more than a month earlier. Thats what we are getting back to. They will cut back releases and put a chokehold on things again one day... but I am grabbing while its easy. It reminds me of the good ole days, before hype was even a factor.

The 2000 Retro XI releases were a mess.. Kicksology.net even wrote about people selling their pairs on eBay (which, by that point, had become very popular) for profit. Maybe in 95 things were different but that might have been the last time the mid Retro XIs ever sat on shelves.

The 2000 Retro XI releases were a mess.. Kicksology.net even wrote about people selling their pairs on eBay (which, by that point, had become very popular) for profit. Maybe in 95 things were different but that might have been the last time the mid Retro XIs ever sat on shelves.
not if nike realizes the more they make, the more "late collectors" will buy. As long as theres a guy still trying to get $350 for a pair of 72 10s a month later, nike will get more money creating more pairs. There is still one dork on NT in every JB thread claiming he heard the shoe is limited! JB hype is good for a while!

Back
Top Bottom