Why do people still use the N word?? vol. Mature discussion

I caught a lot of slack in here for expressing some of the same views as IT in the first part of that video.

Last edited:
I agree with quite a few posts as you'll see below.  But my view of the N-words, I seem them (just like like any racial slur/epithet) as forms of discrimination/segregation.  Some people talk about how they want more equality and unity, but yet those same people use these derogatory terms because they feel that they're entitled/obligated and claim that no one else is able to use them.  That doesn't make any sense.  No human being desired from their existence to be labeled/or referred to a racial slur.  If you desire more unity amongst everyone, then we need to mature and get rid of any thing and form of discrimination/segregation that's keeping us apart.

To Each their own
Black people turned the one word that was used to describe and degrade the entire race throughout hundreds of years of slavery and oppression into a term of endearment, while simultaneously attempting to justify it's acceptance by any means necessary. 

Only in America
mean.gif

And...

[Grizzly Hebert]I'm black if that matters[/Grizzly Hebert]
I ponder this topic a lot actually.

One reason is most of the people that use it are so far removed from the word's filthy roots that it has no true meaning to them, rappers along with society have turned it into a "common" word.

As strange as it sounds, I feel that slaves began using it jokingly with one another as a way to mimic the "master" in attempt to keep their spirits up; almost like a parody (although, to my knowledge, it's not well documented, I'm sure humor was commonplace in slave quarters after hours, possibly the only way to band together and share some type of comradery (sp?). The frequent usage desensitized them and they found themselves using it freely amongst each other.
An analogy would be a military training instructor's interaction with trainees in basic training. Although the instructor is harsh and verbally abusive and often calls the trainees names, they eventually grow "numb" and find humor in his antics and begin calling each other the names, outside of his presence of course.

Another theory I have is that it's symbolic of turning around something that was meant to oppress a people and instead using it as a way to bring them together, almost as a team.

Whats most bizarre is how so many blacks feel as if they have gained ownership of the word. They've earned the right to use it and no other race dare not utter it.

The same thing is happening with ladies and the B word. They call each other that like its cool.

And then of course you have the people that frankly dont care.

Moral of the story, you can't use logic to understand humans. We are a weird creature.

S/n, I'm gonna be pissed if I typed all of this and the thread is locked by the time I submit.
when will people stop using this word whether it be in rap music or in their everyday vocabulary
When people shut up about it..

you are doing the total opposite of what a person who dislikes the word would do.

african americans shouldn't even be saying that word to begin with, nothing empowering about it at all.

you would never hear some other groups calling themselves these awful names..
I avoid using offensive language. 
I think its hilarious when someone uses a word as a part of their everyday vocabulary yet gets up in arms when someone of another race uses that very same word.

Its like when females refer to eachother as bad b words yet act like Susan b Anthony reincarnated when a male uses the same word they were happily calling themselves earlier.

I don't care the word or the race, or the gender, its ignorant to use a word then get mad when someone else uses it because their different then you.
Good, bad, or indifferent, it's one of many double standards that we live with in our society.
I love the word ****a, as a non-black person I'd rather call someone close to me my ****a than a friend. To me since I grew up in nyc and in the 80's-90's that word was widespread due to hip-hop primarily. People only like to attach the negative stigma that *er has to it and apply it to *a. I will always counter that with *a isn't even the same thing.

I don't say *a around black folks idk, thats just disrespectful and it doesn't figure how they may view that word. But my cousins, brother, homeboys are my *a's.

To tell someone they can't use a word that bears no ill intention is useless and and dumb. Matter of fact the more you tell a person not to use a word, I bet you behind the scenes they will use it more rampantly and with more ill intention.

I think the use of *a has decreased a lot since the 90's. *a to me is like the middle ground between a friend and a brother.

If I use that word with a positive meaning behind it and watch who I say it around for fear of hurting them and doing wrong by them, then I really don't understand how you can listen to rap music and give them the pass just because they're black yet using it to offend is commonplace.
I see what you're saying, but it is offensive, to a black person even if there was go ill intention at all. The word carries so much emotion behind it that even Black people don't understand until it's put in a very intense situation. In this context, it's taken lightly by you because you don't suffer any consequences from actually being Black. I think this fact gets overlooked time and time again. But like I said, this issue will always be complicated and paradoxical due to the nature and history behind the world in addition to the Black experience, particularly in America. To be honest, people that aren't Black try to simplify it by leaving the "a" at the end is just as much as a slap in the face. The undertone just from that change coming from a non Black person says "I want to be, or sound what is perceived as "cool" like Black people, but I do not want to suffer the potential consequences of what the Black experience is".
IMHO, I'm not black but I always thought there was a significant difference between the words ***** and ******.  ***** being used as a term of endearment between black men and the other being used as a derogatory racist remark.  Here's the thing, do Latino's such as Fat Joe have a pass on using the word?  If you look up his interview he said he has a pass on that and that other black rappers are cool and some aren't.  I am a little sketched out.  I have black friends who do not care if people use the term around them as long as it isn't the ER word.  I see a lot of Asians using the word too.  I am Asian but I don't condone the use of the word, I say my dawg, my brotha, but not the n word sorry.
The N word is programed constantly through music.
I'll never understand why non-blacks use the word. It's like the weirdest **** ever.
And here lies the a good bit of the problem. Not that it's okay, but how do people expect whites to stop using the word when blacks are throwing it out left it right? Either everyone can say it or nobody should say it at all. I'm for the latter but we all know that's not gonna happen. 
mean.gif
The fact that so many people are saying they are fine with this race and that race saying it is fine but white people are a whole 'nother story is blowing my mind. That's outrageous. Again, not that we should say it, but your mentalities are out of control and irrational. 
I'm still confused as to why everyone should be able to freely use the n-word just because black people use it.
And I'm still confused as to why blacks should be able to use it and no one else. 
Because there is NO rational justification. "We can say it but whites can't. Why? Because..." It's inane at best.

And to others, quit putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say I want whites to say it; I'm sick of the "I'm black so I can say it" mentality. It's stupid and NOT justifiable. 
If I weren't black and I saw black people CONSTANTLY using it (around me and at me probably), I wouldn't understand why I wouldn't be "allowed" to use it either. Just saying.........

There is no LOGICAL reason why we say it and turn around and tell other people not to use it.
No way, those terms don't bring the historical baggage that the other word does, plus Italians really don't go around and call each other that in reality, Whuddup my guido....
Side note: I mainly hear black people use it in derogatory term anyway.

"Ya some ****** man I swear"

"Why ya got be a bunch of ****** all the time?"
The real question is, why do people WANT to use the N word, and why do people WANT to be called it

Back
Top Bottom