Why do women care so much about being pretty?

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Millions of years of evolution.

More attractive -> better chance at reproduction with higher quality & status males/better genetics.
Ehhhhh...I don't know aobut that.

You can argue that as it pertains to reproduction, women are the sexual selectors. That means MEN have to be good looking, in good health, and have a good job, qualities that would allow them to be able to provide an environment that could support a child/family.

Thing is your theory of women being  the sexual  selectors is wrong  because there are more women than there are males ..also  your chances of having a a daughter are much higher than having a son  so by default males are the selectors ....

the only thing is men aren't as coordinated as females ..females can hold out longer before sex thus creating the illusion of males being second fiddle of sexual selectors  because males have been socially conditioned to think they need to be alpha males and monogamous(married /in a relationship ) to reproduce but the reality is  regardless of social status females still need an xy chromosome in order to have kids

that is why they need  to always look pretty because they know their in a competition for males ...later alone the males they desire(which is why i believe marriage{no bigamy } was created)

Originally Posted by MartianRefugee

More attractive -> better chance at reproduction with higher quality & status males/better genetics.

You can argue that as it pertains to reproduction, women are the sexual selectors. That means MEN have to be good looking, in good health, and have a good job, qualities that would allow them to be able to provide an environment that could support a child/family.

Thing is your theory of women being  the sexual  selectors is wrong  because there are more women than there are males ..also  your chances of having a a daughter are much higher than having a son  so by default males are the selectors ....

the only thing is men aren't as coordinated as females ..females can hold out longer before sex thus creating the illusion of males being second fiddle of sexual selectors  because males have been socially conditioned to think they need to be alpha males and monogamous(married /in a relationship ) to reproduce but the reality is  regardless of social status females still need an xy chromosome in order to have kids
i disagree, females are more selective when it comes to sexual partners because women have a finite amount of eggs that they are born with whereas men produce new sperm daily and essentially always fertile. women have to carefully plan and select who will best fertilize their eggs.
OP to answer your question women care so much about being attractive because men care so much about them being attractive.

Originally Posted by MartianRefugee

i disagree, females are more selective when it comes to sexual partners because women have a finite amount of eggs that they are born with whereas men produce new sperm daily and essentially always fertile. women have to carefully plan and select who will best fertilize their eggs.
OP to answer your question women care so much about being attractive because men care so much about them being attractive.

Originally Posted by PinkAJs

I just have to reply to this because you guys make women seem so pathetic.

I'm  a woman and believe me, this has nothing to do with society or evolution or insecurity.  All women are creative left-brained thinkers.  We like beauty and art and all those non-practical things men rarely care for.  Looking pretty is like art to us--it's a hobby.  We enjoy striving for it.  

For example, we spend hours getting ready for a date or for the club not because we want to impress some guy but rather because we actually have fun getting ready.  But of course that baffles some of you.  "What?  You mean she's not spending all that time getting ready for me?"
laugh.gif
 Oh, you've so much to learn.
Yes, it has nothing to do with millions of years of evolution. 

I'm  a woman and believe me, this has nothing to do with society or evolution or insecurity.  All women are creative left-brained thinkers.  We like beauty and art and all those non-practical things men rarely care for.  Looking pretty is like art to us--it's a hobby.  We enjoy striving for it.  

For example, we spend hours getting ready for a date or for the club not because we want to impress some guy but rather because we actually have fun getting ready.  But of course that baffles some of you.  "What?  You mean she's not spending all that time getting ready for me?"
laugh.gif
Yes, it has nothing to do with millions of years of evolution. 

^^

seriously only males and females at the top of the food chain are really selective about their partners (since their looks/qualities allow them to be )..the rest of of us settle for the next besthing ..when we get a girl that we feel is way above our league we quickly wife that woman up .. she'll settle because  she's knows she can't do better (or she  feels to secure to venture out )

^^

seriously only males and females at the top of the food chain are really selective about their partners (since their looks/qualities allow them to be )..the rest of of us settle for the next besthing ..when we get a girl that we feel is way above our league we quickly wife that woman up .. she'll settle because  she's knows she can't do better (or she  feels to secure to venture out )

Originally Posted by 0cks

Pink you go to the club and get no looks, your night = fail... If you say otherwise you are a beta female that's saying you don't care to protect your ego
laugh.gif

Of course I care about getting looks when I go out.  If you drive a nice car or have on some fancy sneakers, don't you like it when people stare?
My point is that men shouldn't assume that women don't have fun making themselves pretty. It's not a chore.

Pink you go to the club and get no looks, your night = fail... If you say otherwise you are a beta female that's saying you don't care to protect your ego
laugh.gif

Of course I care about getting looks when I go out.  If you drive a nice car or have on some fancy sneakers, don't you like it when people stare?
My point is that men shouldn't assume that women don't have fun making themselves pretty. It's not a chore.

laugh.gif

i agree with pinkAJs, most nights dont amount to much and the most fun i had was getting ready.

laugh.gif

i agree with pinkAJs, most nights dont amount to much and the most fun i had was getting ready.

Originally Posted by culturecarnage

laugh.gif

and the extensive picture taking session before the club of course.

Originally Posted by culturecarnage

laugh.gif

and the extensive picture taking session before the club of course.

laugh.gif

Yeah I guess... but I mean wearing make up to the gym and +%+? It can't be always fun for all ya'll now can it?

laugh.gif

Yeah I guess... but I mean wearing make up to the gym and +%+? It can't be always fun for all ya'll now can it?

laugh.gif
i girl did tell me once that women dress for other women, not for men

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bleach

laugh.gif

she may have been a lesbian

laugh.gif

she may have been a lesbian

laugh.gif
It's so true.  We know men don't care what we wear.  Any heterosexual guy would rather see a woman naked than in a beautiful dress.  And if he does like the dress, he just wants to rip it off you.

laugh.gif
It's so true.  We know men don't care what we wear.  Any heterosexual guy would rather see a woman naked than in a beautiful dress.  And if he does like the dress, he just wants to rip it off you.

As a father of a 5 year old daughter, I've become very aware of all the pressures females are subjected to their entire lives as it pertains to their appearance.

Toys, cartoons, magazines, grandparents, hell, pretty  much everything have subtle and not so subtle suggestions that if you aren't aesthetically appealing you don't have anything worthwhile.

It starts off with telling babies and toddlers "oh, you're so cute." or "she's beautiful" and all the positive re-enforcement they get as kids over how they look. Then they grow up and the role models that they have a Barbies and Disney princesses, people that don't  have acne and have perfect figures and attract attention from men because of their appearance

As men, we don't get it because it was never about that for us growing up. There are more pressures to be athletic, and smart, and to be a lady-killer.  The difference is staggering.

You repeat this cycle over hundreds of years, and guess what happens. You have a large amount of women concerned about their appearance and a bunch of ignorant men wondering why.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Man...
eyes.gif

As a father of a 5 year old daughter, I've become very aware of all the pressures females are subjected to their entire lives as it pertains to their appearance.

Toys, cartoons, magazines, grandparents, hell, pretty  much everything have subtle and not so subtle suggestions that if you aren't aesthetically appealing you don't have anything worthwhile.

It starts off with telling babies and toddlers "oh, you're so cute." or "she's beautiful" and all the positive re-enforcement they get as kids over how they look. Then they grow up and the role models that they have a Barbies and Disney princesses, people that don't  have acne and have perfect figures and attract attention from men because of their appearance

As men, we don't get it because it was never about that for us growing up. There are more pressures to be athletic, and smart, and to be a lady-killer.  The difference is staggering.

You repeat this cycle over hundreds of years, and guess what happens. You have a large amount of women concerned about their appearance and a bunch of ignorant men wondering why.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Man...
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom