Why is MSG considered the Mecca of basketball?

Staples Center could never, ever compare to MSG. The fans suck and their general support for basketball as a whole sucks as well. The Pac 12 tournament moved to Vegas for a reason. Even when the Big East Tournament wasn't at its best, it was easily the best postseason conference tournament at times being better than the NCAA Tourney. Name a conference tournament that had anything as memorable as UConn's run or the Six OT game in the last decade. MSG made those moments larger than the game.

Ask every NBA player where they love to play and what it means to them when they step on that court.

Sebastian Telfair overhyped? Please. He was the best PG by far when high school basketball actually meant something and was good. Just because he didn't pan out in the NBA doesn't mean he was overhyped. He earned that adidas contract and that lottery pick.

This is going to turn into a NY vs the world thread like in Music and General
mean.gif

Maybe I'm being bias here...but the ACC tournament has always been better than the Big East tournament. 

NYers would claim Jesus lived and died NY if they could.

Wait, he didnt?

MSG isnt considered the "Mecca of Basketball", it's just referred to as the "Mecca" because there is no other venue like to hold an event. Personally, I have never heard some refer to MSG as the "Mecca of basketball", because basketball isnt the only thing that happens there. I have people refer to NYC as the "Mecca of Basketball" because people come to various parks ie West 4th, Rucker, Gauchos, Basketball City, Dykman, ect. come to show out against the best.

Big East tourney > ________

I'm hoping they move the ACC Tourney to MSG.

Last edited:
Because it's old.

I need to go to a knick game this upcoming season. Never been to a game there but i've already went to 2 games at Barclays.

#NeverForget

The Knicks losing felt so good it reminded me of something very important that I must share with you part of this comes from having many annoying extended family from that area.

Bear in mind I think the Knicks are a good team and are in line for 45-48 wins but %!%+ the knicks and %!%+ new york.

%!%+ em, I am so utterly sick and tired about hearing about the knicks, and how "basketball is better when the knicks are good" you know what I beg to differ, basketball was !+%*#+% pretty good when the knicks stunk. I didn't have to deal with the chronic overrating of Knick players, the constant over exposure the trials and tribulations of a consistently terrible franchise. I don't care if it's in new york, %!%+ new york right in the ear and I really mean it. I think it's so utterly obnoxious when people say "OH LEBRON SHOULD HAVE COME TO THE KNICKS" You ask am why and they say "ohh it's New York". @@% DOES THAT MEAN? Im so glad he spurned the Knicks and I am so glad that he teased that franchise for as long as he did allowing more terribleness. You deserve it. All of you. 

Ohh ohh why wouldn't he want to come to new york SUCH a great history, TWO championships in 60 years of existence, 9 CONSECUTIVE losing seasons, oooooh aaaaah bask in the magnificence of the "mecca of basketball". Mecca of basketball name is so annoying as well, the mecca has a penchant for producing wackness and hyping players to absurd levels. Bassy? Lance Stephenson? Don't forget the general wackness of new york college basketball. Also I If hear one more dude from New York try to claim Carmelo Anthony or MJ as being from new york I think I may have to remove some knick fans from this earth. 

%!%+ your team, %!%+ your city, %!%+ your wack #*% point guards, %!%+ rucker park, %!%+ the overrated patrick ewing, %!%+ the garden, %!%+ the fictional mecca of basketball, %!%+ st johns, %!%+ ron artests hair cuts, %!%+ gallo's tilted head, %!%+ amare, %!%+ all y'all cats. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

I'm not sayin but im sayin.

and just to beat you yes the raptors are terrible, but nobody calls us the mecca of basketball. 
indifferent.gif

quite possibly the greatest post in nt history

And why is that? The media and players consider it the Mecca. New Yorkers didn't come up with it and aren't the only ones who say it. Big city, big stage.

And again I ask, why does some empty, arbitrary nickname matter?

Why is this always asked.

It has more to do with the city, the crowd, the theater like-classic feel to it, the classic games played there, the Big East....moreso than just the Knicks itself whether or not they do well.

Its the city and culture of New York City, and MSG is center stage to it all.

:lol: at people thinking only NYers refer to it as such.

Last edited:
Well, you gotta ask players like Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Jordan, etc for calling it the Mecca of basketball.

Not make accusations to NY, Knick fans

Its NYC thats called the Mecca of Basketball...some of you are stupid to realize Basketball does not start and end with the Knicks. The culture is prevalent and another city that gets slept on for that culture is Philly.

:lol:
OKB got me dyin at work.

Anyway, maybe it has something to do with NY being the largest city in the US. And many of the great NBA players who play at MSG love playing there.
Think about another major city that opposing players love to play in...

Anytime a great player has a 50+ point game, it's always special because it's in "New York City."

Jordan, Kobe, LeBron all loved putting on a show and not necessarily because they had to prove something against the Knicks, but because it's NYC.

NY has to have some credit; I don't think you can name another major city that produces quality talent (even if it didn't necessarily translate positively in the NBA).

Just my thoughts

AND OKB can rant he wants over a superficial title. At the end of the day, MSG (and NY in general) can still be called the Mecca even if we aren't winning championships. I don't think any NY fan can be mad because we haven't been able to back up our "Mecca" title for yearss but hey..

I aint eem mad

Back
Top Bottom