Why the public will never believe Kobe is better than Michael. Vol. Personality?

Kobe Byrant may be better than Michael Jordan, but the public may not ever let him believe it. The unfortunate truth for Kobe is he can never be Michael because he isn't thought of as likable as Jordan, also the greatest commercial pitchman ever for an athlete. ... "Let's say he does get two more rings," Tim Legler, the former player and now an ESPN analyst, said recently in a telephone interview. "Even if he doesn't win any more MVP awards, he will probably approach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time scoring record. You absolutely can make a valid argument for Kobe being the greatest ever when that happens. "But he will never be revered like Michael Jordan will be revered," Legler added.

Washington Post

Whole article: http://www.washingtonpost...av%3Drss_opinion/columns

That could be it for some, whether they admit it or not, but it isn't for me.

Mike wasn't just an all-time great, he was as close to perfect as the game has ever seen. His Finals record, his playoff numbers, his MVP seasons, his Finals MVPs, everything. Kobe has had a phenomenal career and is one of the best to ever lace them up, but Mike did it better... and he did it first.

It would be interesting to see if Kobe played in Jordan's era and vice versa, how the two would be viewed. Yeah I remember Jordan as the pitchman, but I also remember him as a mean SOB on and off the court, who gambled, ridiculed teammates and wasn't exactly an angel. And who knows how much Colorado really affected Kobe's overall image, not just to diehard fans, but to middle America.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Mike wasn't just an all-time great, he was as close to perfect as the game has ever seen. His Finals record, his playoff numbers, his MVP seasons, his Finals MVPs, everything. Kobe has had a phenomenal career and is one of the best to ever lace them up, but Mike did it better... and he did it first.

It would be interesting to see if Kobe played in Jordan's era and vice versa, how the two would be viewed. Yeah I remember Jordan as the pitchman, but I also remember him as a mean SOB on and off the court, who gambled, ridiculed teammates and wasn't exactly an angel. And who knows how much Colorado really affected Kobe's overall image, not just to diehard fans, but to middle America.

Truer words never been said.

And for the sensitivity of this argument, I'll stay out. I see this thread taking a wrong turn on page 2 or 3.

Both were the best of their generation, and thats all I want to say on the matter.

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

Originally Posted by 45Nique15

he would need 3 more rings...then we could talk about that
why?

Yeah please present your stand on that? I'm really getting tired of the rings debate man.

All i gotta say, If its even DEBATABLE that Kobe is the greatest Laker of all time, How can he be in the discussion of being the SPORTS GOAT?

Plus MJ Likable personality? Jordan was always know as a douche...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Agree 100%, BigJ always gotta' come in and shut it down early lol
pimp.gif

Michael Jordan would have NEVER been on a team that gave up the biggest lead in NBA Finals history.

Michael Jordan would have NEVER got blown out in a NBA championship clinching game.

Michael Jordan would have NEVER lost a Finals with Shaq.

Michael Jordan NEVER lost in the Finals.

That's why Kobe will never be better than Mike.

Well, he didn't win the championship every year he was in the league so obviously he lost in the playoffs at some point. Hell, I remember her crying after Shaq ripped him in the open court and took it and dunked it to beat them when Shaq was a Magic

We had discussion this in a thread a few weeks ago in a thread about 'What would Kobe need to do to surpass Jordan?'

Find that thread and post in there.

*locked*

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Michael Jordan would have NEVER been on a team that gave up the biggest lead in NBA Finals history.

Michael Jordan would have NEVER got blown out in a NBA championship clinching game.

Michael Jordan would have NEVER lost a Finals with Shaq.

Michael Jordan NEVER lost in the Finals.

That's why Kobe will never be better than Mike.
Preach!

Back
Top Bottom