With ALL these retros, and no good new sigs. vol. no future?

looks like we are all getting our wish, so much heat past 2 years, and upcoming looks better.

my question is, with all the heat dropping, and no new sigs looking promising, what will we do for the future of sneaker collecting ????

what happens once we snag all the shoes we have always wanted ?

lebrons line, and kobes can even touch MJs.... so no Hope there

discuss... 

looks like we are all getting our wish, so much heat past 2 years, and upcoming looks better.

my question is, with all the heat dropping, and no new sigs looking promising, what will we do for the future of sneaker collecting ????

what happens once we snag all the shoes we have always wanted ?

lebrons line, and kobes can even touch MJs.... so no Hope there

discuss... 

The 2011s look aight, but I see what you are saying.  JB has got to do something OTHER than these fusions and the like.  

The 2011s look aight, but I see what you are saying.  JB has got to do something OTHER than these fusions and the like.  

its been over since mike retired.

every year he wore the newest model to push it.

think about it,they didnt make retros while he played for the bulls.

because he was always pushing the new model

they only started retro-ing in 94 when he retired and started back up again in 99 when he re-retired

they only started retro-ing in 94 when he retired and started back up again in 99 when he re-retired

Originally Posted by BIG SIPPIN SPENDIN CHEESE

People overrate the effect of him wearing the shoe has on how we accept it.  The Kobe line didn't catch on fire because KB suddenly was "forgiven of his sins" by the public - it's cause the IV and V were great performance shoes that people liked to wear casually also.  The Kobe 3 is a performance beast and one of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen.  People didn't "Witness" history being made and decide to cop the Lebron VII- it was just a good looking shoe, whereas most of his line (word to ZLV) just wasn't something someone would see on the shelf and say 'oh, damn I gotta get these for the party tonight'.  Mike never wore the XX3; it was just a damn good looking signature shoe in almost every color that dropped.  If MJ had played in the XV that joint would still be garbage that I would never wear.  Sure there's people who buy in support of the legacy of the greatest basketball player ever and all that yadda yadda but it always, always boils down to (80% of customers) is it a hot shoe that looks good on my feet and/or (other 20%) how well does it perform, is it comfortable.

And it couldn't have helped that they have outpriced themselves on the sig for the last 7 or 8 yrs either.

People overrate the effect of him wearing the shoe has on how we accept it.  The Kobe line didn't catch on fire because KB suddenly was "forgiven of his sins" by the public - it's cause the IV and V were great performance shoes that people liked to wear casually also.  The Kobe 3 is a performance beast and one of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen.  People didn't "Witness" history being made and decide to cop the Lebron VII- it was just a good looking shoe, whereas most of his line (word to ZLV) just wasn't something someone would see on the shelf and say 'oh, damn I gotta get these for the party tonight'.  Mike never wore the XX3; it was just a damn good looking signature shoe in almost every color that dropped.  If MJ had played in the XV that joint would still be garbage that I would never wear.  Sure there's people who buy in support of the legacy of the greatest basketball player ever and all that yadda yadda but it always, always boils down to (80% of customers) is it a hot shoe that looks good on my feet and/or (other 20%) how well does it perform, is it comfortable.

And it couldn't have helped that they have outpriced themselves on the sig for the last 7 or 8 yrs either.

^^^^^Very well put. However, I don't think performance means as much to the public as a good design. However, I think the hype train has driven the popularity of Kobe's and Lebron's.

^^^^^Very well put. However, I don't think performance means as much to the public as a good design. However, I think the hype train has driven the popularity of Kobe's and Lebron's.

Jordan Brand got to where they're at by releasing innovative/creative shoes that had people anticipating its release year after year. They had built their reputation on quality and design. JB's been on the top for a while now, but I don't think they'll hold onto its position for long. They no longer have people dying (not literally) to see what new ideas/designs are going to be release, rather they're having people anticipating which previous release are going to be re-released. We're still in the early years of the new decade, and I think soon people's taste will move away from Jordans and onto something different. Sort of like how you still saw some 1980s fashion in 1991 and '92, but by around '94 the '90s already had its own sense of style. Likewise in the early 2000's you still had people wearing FUBU -which became big in the 90s - and stuff like that, but by '03 - '04 nobody wore FUBU.

Sure, brands such as Armani, Chanel, etc. have been around for many decades, but there is no way I'd put Jordan in the same category as the luxury brands. I'm not saying Jordan will have a fall from grace like Tommy Hilfiger, but more like Converse in which it was once on top, but later was dethroned yet is always around (and yes, I am aware that Converse eventually got bought out).

Jordan Brand got to where they're at by releasing innovative/creative shoes that had people anticipating its release year after year. They had built their reputation on quality and design. JB's been on the top for a while now, but I don't think they'll hold onto its position for long. They no longer have people dying (not literally) to see what new ideas/designs are going to be release, rather they're having people anticipating which previous release are going to be re-released. We're still in the early years of the new decade, and I think soon people's taste will move away from Jordans and onto something different. Sort of like how you still saw some 1980s fashion in 1991 and '92, but by around '94 the '90s already had its own sense of style. Likewise in the early 2000's you still had people wearing FUBU -which became big in the 90s - and stuff like that, but by '03 - '04 nobody wore FUBU.

Sure, brands such as Armani, Chanel, etc. have been around for many decades, but there is no way I'd put Jordan in the same category as the luxury brands. I'm not saying Jordan will have a fall from grace like Tommy Hilfiger, but more like Converse in which it was once on top, but later was dethroned yet is always around (and yes, I am aware that Converse eventually got bought out).

Originally Posted by mkc1983

Is Tommy hilfiger not popular in the states ? It's really expensive still in Australia .You made some good points in your post
smile.gif
I saw some interviews with tinker hatfield and their master plan is to keep the brand going forever...By re-retroing helps give history to the brand and loyalty for the younger generation . This helps drive intrest in the newer models coming through .For some reason I can't see any other shoe brand being topped by it's competitors nor internally (kobes,lebrons). The jordan's are just got the "x" factor about them .

Is Tommy hilfiger not popular in the states ? It's really expensive still in Australia .You made some good points in your post
smile.gif
I saw some interviews with tinker hatfield and their master plan is to keep the brand going forever...By re-retroing helps give history to the brand and loyalty for the younger generation . This helps drive intrest in the newer models coming through .For some reason I can't see any other shoe brand being topped by it's competitors nor internally (kobes,lebrons). The jordan's are just got the "x" factor about them .

Originally Posted by d e beatup

I have to disagree with this to an extent.  On one hand, you're right.  We may be Air Jordan fanatics, thus were actively looking at what shoes he was wearing throughout his career, but the mass public wouldn't know the difference between a V and a XIII, let alone what year Jordan wore them, and what he accomplished in them.  All they cared about is that they are Michael Jordan's shoes, thus making them the cool thing you simply MUST be caught wearing *regardless of how they looked*.  However, I remember plenty of people saying the Air Jordans were ugly (for any relative year), yet they wore it anyway because since they were his shoes, the Air Jordan line was popular.  They didn't care about performance, or whether it looked good on their feet.  All that mattered was that people recognized that you were wearing the accepted "most popular shoe" line.  So in THAT respect, I have to disagree with the 80/20 breakdown you gave.

^ That pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Since we lack a homogeneous culture or ethnicity in this country, our national identity revolves around fads and trends.  Everything is popular for a short lived while, and then it's on to the next thing.  Some fads stick around longer than others, but by the very nature of its definition, all fads must eventually die.  Same goes for companies that are on top for a while.  Whether they loose popularity because what they produced was a temporary fad, or because they lost their ways which initially made them popular (i.e. Nike/JB), they eventually all loose their dominance over the market.  Think it's not possible for a company as popular as Nike/JB?  Look at GM.  50 years ago, GM made half of all cars sold in the US, and was the single largest corporation in America. NO one thought they were touchable.  NO one.  The old saying used to be "as GM goes, so does the nation", meaning the way things were going for GM was an indication of how well America as a whole was doing.  But as with any company that has huge success for an extended period of time, they rested on their laurels/old reputation, and started getting full of themselves and thought they were invincible.  They started producing crappier and crappier products to maximize profits because they thought they could get away with it.  They did for a while, but it eventually got to the point that the public could no longer turn a blind eye, and they finally started turning to foreign competitors who were hungry to take over the market, and were pounding GM in quality.  Today, GM only makes 1 in 5 cars sold in the US, and had to be bailed out by the government just to stay in business.  Now they are slowly working back in the direction that they started at by making MUCH, MUCH better quality cars than what they showed in the '80s and '90s.  However, it will be a long time before they can prove themselves worthy again, and regain their thrown.

No highly successful company is immune to the inevitable self-demise that its own complacency and arrogance eventually brings.

Originally Posted by d e beatup

I have to disagree with this to an extent.  On one hand, you're right.  We may be Air Jordan fanatics, thus were actively looking at what shoes he was wearing throughout his career, but the mass public wouldn't know the difference between a V and a XIII, let alone what year Jordan wore them, and what he accomplished in them.  All they cared about is that they are Michael Jordan's shoes, thus making them the cool thing you simply MUST be caught wearing *regardless of how they looked*.  However, I remember plenty of people saying the Air Jordans were ugly (for any relative year), yet they wore it anyway because since they were his shoes, the Air Jordan line was popular.  They didn't care about performance, or whether it looked good on their feet.  All that mattered was that people recognized that you were wearing the accepted "most popular shoe" line.  So in THAT respect, I have to disagree with the 80/20 breakdown you gave.

^ That pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Since we lack a homogeneous culture or ethnicity in this country, our national identity revolves around fads and trends.  Everything is popular for a short lived while, and then it's on to the next thing.  Some fads stick around longer than others, but by the very nature of its definition, all fads must eventually die.  Same goes for companies that are on top for a while.  Whether they loose popularity because what they produced was a temporary fad, or because they lost their ways which initially made them popular (i.e. Nike/JB), they eventually all loose their dominance over the market.  Think it's not possible for a company as popular as Nike/JB?  Look at GM.  50 years ago, GM made half of all cars sold in the US, and was the single largest corporation in America. NO one thought they were touchable.  NO one.  The old saying used to be "as GM goes, so does the nation", meaning the way things were going for GM was an indication of how well America as a whole was doing.  But as with any company that has huge success for an extended period of time, they rested on their laurels/old reputation, and started getting full of themselves and thought they were invincible.  They started producing crappier and crappier products to maximize profits because they thought they could get away with it.  They did for a while, but it eventually got to the point that the public could no longer turn a blind eye, and they finally started turning to foreign competitors who were hungry to take over the market, and were pounding GM in quality.  Today, GM only makes 1 in 5 cars sold in the US, and had to be bailed out by the government just to stay in business.  Now they are slowly working back in the direction that they started at by making MUCH, MUCH better quality cars than what they showed in the '80s and '90s.  However, it will be a long time before they can prove themselves worthy again, and regain their thrown.

No highly successful company is immune to the inevitable self-demise that its own complacency and arrogance eventually brings.

alot of good points in here, they both kinda had an equal effect on me the more I watched mj the more I wanted the sneaks, and the more sneaks I got made me wanna watch him more lol

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.StayFresh2Death.com type niketalk for a discount

alot of good points in here, they both kinda had an equal effect on me the more I watched mj the more I wanted the sneaks, and the more sneaks I got made me wanna watch him more lol

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.StayFresh2Death.com type niketalk for a discount

nobody knows so why wrap your brain around it? just collect, enjoy and for petes sake ROCK your shoes!

nobody knows so why wrap your brain around it? just collect, enjoy and for petes sake ROCK your shoes!

Originally Posted by rcjbbp1313

as iam, and as i do

but what iam trying to say is, we (assuming you all as well) grew up watching MJ, and his stuff was iconic, hence the craze over his sneakers, clothing , ect

there no new modern person of his stature, and with all the lack of influence of new sneakers from not just Jordan brand, but also nike for sig players.

i dont see any future in "retroing" the newer stuff as years go by, sooo

with that being said,sneakers just dies off ?

i mean think about it, its only going to be able to go so  far with retroing the current sigs, until people are like
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by rcjbbp1313

as iam, and as i do

but what iam trying to say is, we (assuming you all as well) grew up watching MJ, and his stuff was iconic, hence the craze over his sneakers, clothing , ect

there no new modern person of his stature, and with all the lack of influence of new sneakers from not just Jordan brand, but also nike for sig players.

i dont see any future in "retroing" the newer stuff as years go by, sooo

with that being said,sneakers just dies off ?

i mean think about it, its only going to be able to go so  far with retroing the current sigs, until people are like
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Vuey

smile.gif

I'm not from the US, I'm from Canada, but I'm fairly sure that Tommy isn't big in the States...it certainly isn't here in Canada. I think Tommy Hilfiger Inc. was sold a couple of years ago, or if it wasn't, there were serious discussions about it being sold. It's really hard to say which brand will "overthrow" Jordan, it's anyone's guess. It could perhaps be a company that hasn't even formed yet. Whatever the case, just because Jordan Brand won't be on top forever, it does not mean that we have to stop buying them, I'm sure that everyone here still have a certain Jordan shoe that reminds them of a great period in time. In fact, it could be better as it means you won't' have to line up for a special release.

Back
Top Bottom