Wrestling Thread Sep 15-Oct 5 | October 5th, 1982 A Wrestling/NT/Cat Legend Was Born

How do you just bury another heel? Straight HHH ego right there :smh:

rtaImage

Halfway done listening to the most recent MLW podcast and Kevin Sulllivan is on. Tells some good stories about Gary Hart, Dusty's face turn back in the 70s, and Al Perez wanting to shoot on Ric Flair.

will have to give this one another try...i'm from boston like sullivan but he has that 'drunken' accent that makes him almost incoherent imo

I fell asleep after the IC title match. Figured it'd be the apex of the show.

then you missed out on wwe's apex predator - the viper

what does apex predator even mean :lol: does this dude just prey on people at the high point of their lives?

Zayn is gonna get a mean push from me in 2k15. Gonna give him MITB.

Apex:the highest point of something(apex of a mountain), the moment of greatest success(apex of society)=
Randall is the greatest or top level predator. Come on y'all. It's not that complex :lol:

[h2]  [/h2]
[h2]WWE 2K15's MyCAREER Mode Details[/h2]
bullet.gif
  Submitted on: 09/30/2014 by Scott Burress
31046.jpg
The WWE games series for the past 2 years have had a single player story mode consisting of reliving the past of the Attitude era or playing through the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all-time.  This year, 2K Sports is changing up the game and having a “My Player” mode called My Career, where your created wrestler takes on the rigors of the WWE.  

My Career is on PS4 and Xbox One only and is the journey of the greatest superstar in WWE history, you.  The mode starts off after you create your wrestler (with rather limited options) and you join the WWE Performance Center. Developer 2K Sports nailed the look and feel of the Performance Center with all seven rings, the workout area in the back, and the correct banners on the walls.  Bill DeMott is your trainer through this mode; his voice work was great and looks just like himself. He will give you objectives to complete in training matches against other no name potential NXT talent.  As you do matches, you gain skill points to upgrade your superstar.  The matches will contain actions like “Do 10 grapples,” “Perform your finisher,” stuff like that. It felt similar to the Attitude/Wrestlemania story mode matches from the past except you’re wrestling in an empty gym against an unknown wrestler with a digitized DeMott yelling at you.
31044.jpg
After you graduate from the Performance Center you move on to NXT.  Here you have William Regal as your GM pushing you to your path of greatness as other NXT superstars like Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Bo Dallas and Corey Graves try to stop you. The goal is to have Triple H notice you on the small circuit to eventually get called up to the big time of the WWE.  Once you do enough at NXT, you will get called up to the big show and there’s where your career truly takes off. 

Here you will gain rivals and strive for championships, main event pay-per-views, and ultimately Wrestlemania. Don’t forget to hire a manager of your choosing to be by your side.

Throughout your career you will have rivals pop up to help or stop you. You will see multiple cut scenes like we’ve seen in Universe Mode in the past.  There might be a feud with Daniel Bryan where he gives you a choice: shake his hand with respect or hit him with a low blow. Of course in my career, I hit him with the low blow.

The 2K developers stated they have a bunch of different cut scenes and storylines we’ll see unfold in your career over time.  You can play this mode as a face (good guy) or as a heel (bad guy), or even go back and forth. Your decisions play a lot into your career and even have surprises outside of your control.  In my career, I was 6 years in, had just lost a big match, and the crowd was cheering me on. I was acknowledging them when out of nowhere Brock Lesnar’s music played, down he came to the ring to give me a monster F5 and Paul Heyman stood over me laughing.  This played out over social media next as you have an in-game Twitter account as well,  I then got into a Twitter war with Heyman over how he was tweeting I wasn’t worthy to face Lesnar.
31042.jpg
The career is very lengthy and keeps every stat you can imagine over your career and is full of customization.  2K called it a “sports RPG hybrid” that will evolve with you over your career in the mode. You can lose matches and the story keeps going. There’s no more of the having to replay a match to move through the story, if you lose, it just keeps going.  I found that to be one of the bigger plusses of the mode, it felt much more organic and real.

This next part is where the room got very excited: Career Invasion.  Your biggest rival in My Career may be your best friend.  You can export your created My Career superstar once you hit the Raw roster and anyone can download that same wrestler into their career.  That wrestler may then show up at opportune moments. Maybe to help you out or to stick a knife in your back, you would never know. In the example given, the imported wrestler didn’t show up against the My Career wrestler for a few weeks, but when he did it was to attack the player.  This adds a whole new level to the career mode now that your friends can be in there with you.  I can already see the trash talking going down when your buddy just screwed you out of the WWE Championship by turning on you in My Career.

WWE 2K15 arrives in stores for Xbox 360/PS3 on October 28th in North America and October 31st in Europe and for PS4/Xbox One, it arrives on November 18th in North America and November 21st in Europe. Sting is the exclusive preorder bonus on both versions.

Read the official press release below.
31045.jpg
2K Announces MyCareer Details for WWE[emoji]174[/emoji] 2K15

First-ever comprehensive career mode in WWE video game history takes players
on the journey from prospective WWE Superstar to WWE World Heavyweight Champion
2K today announced additional details for MyCareer in WWE[emoji]174[/emoji] 2K15, the forthcoming release in the flagship WWE video game franchise. Making its debut as the first comprehensive, career-driven mode in WWE games history, MyCareer will take players through the life of a prospective WWE Superstar, allowing them to experience the journey of being a rookie and working toward the ultimate goal of winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Players will begin MyCareer by taking characters they create in WWE 2K15’s Creation Suite to the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida. While there, they will be trained by former WWE Superstar and WWE Performance Center head coach Bill DeMott, as they navigate a series of objectives. Successful completion of the objectives will lead players to compete at NXT, WWE’s developmental system for rising young talent, where they will continue with matches and new objectives. At NXT, they will encounter a roster of new and future WWE Superstars, including Rusev, Bo Dallas, Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn and Corey Graves, all of whom will also be available as playable characters.
31043.jpg
After mastering their skills in NXT, players will move up to WWE’s main roster, where General Manager Vickie Guerrero will set matches and keep her Superstars focused through ultimatums designed to gain bonus rewards. Players will develop alliances and rivalries while competing to win spots on WWE pay-per-view events and flagship shows like Monday Night Raw[emoji]174[/emoji] and SmackDown[emoji]174[/emoji]. They will also compete for the United States Championship and Intercontinental Championship. Successful players will make their way to SummerSlam[emoji]174[/emoji] and WrestleMania[emoji]174[/emoji], where the WWE World Heavyweight Championship will be on the line as the top MyCareer prize.

Decisions made throughout the WWE developmental process, including alliances, rivalries and social media interactions, will impact player personality traits and crowd reactions. As players progress throughout the mode, they will also have opportunities in-game to upgrade their attributes, acquire new abilities, skills and moves, earn new clothing and unlock managers. These decisions, along with a player’s win/loss record, will lead to multiple branching storylines, surprises, twists and turns that offer significant replay value to explore different career paths.

MyCareer is a mode beloved by our NBA 2K fans and is a perfect fit for WWE 2K15,” said Greg Thomas, President at Visual Concepts. “We are eager to deliver a comprehensive career mode experience for the first time and consider its inclusion a critical step forward for the franchise.”

Developed collaboratively by Yuke’s and Visual Concepts, a 2K studio, WWE 2K15 is rated T for Teen by the ESRB. WWE 2K15 is scheduled for release on the PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft on October 28, 2014  in North America and October 31, 2014  internationally. In addition, releases for the PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, are currently scheduled for release on November 18, 2014 in North America and November 21, 2014 internationally. Fans who pre-order WWE 2K15 at any participating retailer will receive two playable Sting characters at no extra cost on launch day.

These are the only three belts that matter to me so far, but I'm really liking the current belt too. Do you guys think it'll change before Devitt and those guys win it?

These are the only three belts that matter to me so far, but I'm really liking the current belt too. Do you guys think it'll change before Devitt and those guys win it?

Yeah I'm not nearly as down on the current belt like most are. Looks clean IMO.

That belt at the top tho. :pimp:

And Attitude Era Belt > Winged Eagle *puts on flame suit*

WWE_Championship_(Attitude_Era).jpg

the Undisputed belt is underrated imo.

WWE_Undisputed_Championship_Belt.jpg

Always looked clean IMO, especially when Brock & Eddie held it.

Ditto DFly, need to get a PS4 ASAP.

Hopefully by year end.

Yeah. I'm thinking about copping the white PS3 Destiny bundle and put it on layaway @ Walmart, then just pay it off in chunks before the holidays get here.

PS4 or XBOX 1 fellas? Got a Gamestop card thats been burning my pocket for a minute. May even cop 2k14 today.

jaypesoz jaypesoz , what did you think of Eagles game on Sunday? (minor threadjack peeps, my bad)

I remember those belts.

have your secret santa buy it for you Brother D Fly.

Buy it for me Frank

PS4 or XBOX 1 fellas? Got a Gamestop card thats been burning my pocket for a minute. May even cop 2k14 today.

jaypesoz jaypesoz , what did you think of Eagles game on Sunday? (minor threadjack peeps, my bad)

We'll bounce back. Worried about Foles though, bad o-line or not.

Last edited:
Great Great Great read

McDonalization of Pro-wrestling

During my U-30 IWGP Champion reign (2003-2005), I used to criticize wrestling styles that involve excessive use of moves as “McDonalization of Wrestling”. Here, I'm talking about wrestling that you can readily enjoy like fast-food. Type of wrestling where you throw in moves after moves, and make spots that will make the crowd on their feet as much as possible, so that the fans can enjoy them conveniently and efficiently.

As a result, wrestlers and matches start to lack in their color or individuality. In the end, there will be more wrestlers with same moves resulting in same kind of matches.

When you think of fast-food, it has its benefit for being simple, but in the long run, it has its downside as well.
As opposed to the “McDonalization of wrestling”, I tried to make every move matter… and constructed matches in style that has “introduction, development, turn and conclusion”. That may be one of the reasons why I looked out of place during that period in NJPW.

And at that time, I didn’t have what it takes to convey my intention to the crowd. Yet I had the ideal of “What a match should look like” from long ago, so I never had a doubt in what I was doing.

I wanted to give attention to the “space” in between my moves. If I throw in moves after moves, the crowd will be deprived of their opportunity to enjoy those “space” between the moves. The kind of “space” that the famous Ric Flair created in his matches. And when they are lost, you fail to give audience the aftertaste of each move. The beauty of pro-wrestling will be lost forever.

Pro-wrestling is about dealing with mannerism. As the chairman of BUSHIROAD (owner of NJPW) Takaaki Kidani always say, “Entertainment is done for when people are bored with the product”. And I agree with that. The more progress “McDonalization of wrestling” make, the faster fans will lose interest in the product. The fans will lose their expectation for the coming product in the future.

As for mannerism, there is a case when a certain move is sublimated from an ordinary “cliché” to a level of “art”. For example, I consider moves like Inoki’s Enzugiri and sequence where Ric Flair is thrown off the top rope, to be art.

It’s a test of endurance with the fans until it is established as their favorite routine. You have to keep on doing it to a point where the fans beg “I want to see Flair thrown off the top rope!”
When you perform a new move, people will be confused or not react at all at first. But you can’t just give up there. You must be patient until it is established. I underwent an emotional conflict, but I kept on going with the style I believed in.

Why I chose High Fly Flow as my finisher

In 2006, I started using a new finisher, which is now known as High Fly Flow. The reason I started using this move has a lot to do with getting booed day in day out at the time. I knew I had to change the way I think. Critics are going to criticize me for whatever I do. Then I should care less about the critics and care more about spreading pro-wrestling to people who has never seen it before.
“Wrestling that the first-timers can enjoy.”

And when that theme was set in my mind, I thought
“I need a finisher that leaves impact to the first timers. A move that you can imagine the pain.”
A flying move will do. If a 220lbs man flies off from the top rope and throws his weight on the opponent with speed, it would be easier to imagine the “pain”.
This comprehensibility was important.

From a core fan’s perspective, the move might lack in impact compared to “head-first suplex” or “kicking or punching someone in the face”. But I set a high value on my finisher being “Painful move that connects to people”.

Why wrestlers turned to dangerous moves

What stood in the way when I think about “Wrestling that women and kids can enjoy” is an exchange of dangerous moves.
I have long been claiming that “Pro-wrestling is a competition of winning three counts from the opponent, and it is by no means a ‘stunning contest’ where you stir up the crowd with series of dangerous moves.”
When I had the chance to fight in other promotions, I got worried watching exchange of dangerous moves on the apron and head-first moves outside the ring, which even seemed way too dangerous from a wrestler’s perspective. And since then, I’ve been raising an alarm at these actions.

When wrestlers turn to dangerous moves, the fans will be immune to them. An exchange of normal moves wouldn’t be enough to excite the fans, and wrestlers will turn to even more dangerous moves. Both the wrestlers and the viewers will be desensitized, leading the former to be driven in to the corner. Exchange of dangerous moves just keeps on escalating.

Punching the opponent until he coughs up blood, dropping the opponent head-first with a suplex he can’t take bump to… You must put an end to the never-ending spiral of dangerous moves.
And they are usually babyface vs babyface matches that tend to have no theme and result in exchange of dangerous moves for the sake of getting crowd reaction. And the rise of MMA also had effect on excessive use of dangerous moves. Wrestlers thought they had to appeal to the fans that wrestling is as intense as MMA.

But wrestling is supposed to be exciting in more other ways. From the viewer’s perspective, you can’t tell which to root for if you see two men in the same black pants with same black hair on the ring. The matchup is an un-friendly one for the first-timers.

And if you look at matches where I face Toru Yano and Iizuka, the crowd reacts really well in any venue. They can tell at first glance that I’m the good guy and that they’re the bad guys. The comprehensibility of appearance is really important, and pro-wrestling must value those points.

Back
Top Bottom