Yay or Nay: My cousin told me to become a Librarian

tnisatard

Banned
sounds kinda dumb, but he says you make 90k a year, low stress job

the only thing i worry about is that its going to be really boring and unfulfulling, also id probably be embarassed to tell people i work at the library

Yeah, it's a good job - regular hours and a decent environment.

I could imagine it would get a bit boring though. There's probably a lot more to it than you think so it would be worth speaking to some actual librarians(at big libraries too) to see what the job can entail - you also want there to be some prospects so you're not doing the same thing for the next40 years.

you actually get a masters in library science or something like that. it's legit with great pay from what i hear.

It's a great job.

One of my friends is becoming a high school librarian with an English major. Imagine all the benefits, days off, etc..

Make sure its something you want to do, don't do it just for the pay and days off. One of the librarians at my university constantly complains about thelittle things that she hates, including major collection moves to and from other schools/libraries, old computer systems and just general lack offunding/support for the library. She also said there's a lot of down time depending on where you're stationed...so def talk to some people before yousee the paycheck and sign up..

haha wow, i didnt think they made THAT much money a year.
but yea like everyone said, find out what you wanna do.. you dont wanna waste your life being bored, even though the money is good

being a librarian is THEE easiest job in the world..
and they get guap..
it's not as boring as you think it is

i have a friend that works in the library..she likes it..its like an office job..but better

nah def depends on where ya at. EVERY librarian does not make 90k. NT is funny yea Garbagemen make 80k year too according to this messageboard. nah it alldepends.

From what I understand this "industry" has absolutely no future. I think google is trying to scan every book from the Library of Congress. As soon asthat becomes reality, some programmer computer geek is gonna have your job
laugh.gif
I wouldadvise gettin into that field

I work in the library as a page shelving the books. i see what the librarians do and its very easy however i would never take the job in my life, it isextremely boring and they look miserable. i would seriously end my life if i had to do that everyday
tired.gif
but if thats what you want do it
laugh.gif

i feel like it depends on where you work. my job has a little library with 3 people working (2 full time and 1 student). obviously the money must be good cuzit's been the same lady for 10 years now.

Originally Posted by Ocks

From what I understand this "industry" has absolutely no future. I think google is trying to scan every book from the Library of Congress. As soon as that becomes reality, some programmer computer geek is gonna have your job
laugh.gif
I would advise gettin into that field

didnt even think about that. another good reason not to do this job besides it bein super boring. Serioiusly what chick is gonna wanna talk to you? j/k butnah maybe not

Don't do it because of the perks. The eprks should be added bonuses to something you will already enojoy.

how about a legal librarian?

I work at a law firm and legal librarians make pretty good money here... and all they do is research case law on the computer all day... my coworker librariandoesn't stress at all...

This is from my wife, who is actually a real librarian (Master's and all):

Being a librarian is not a glamorouscareer choice, but it can be incredibly rewarding. There are so many things you can do in a library, but it is important to remember that you need to have apassion for customer service, not just books. Every job in the library is to serve the library's customers. Even if you become a cataloger (the personwho decides where the books go on the shelves) and never see a customer, your job is extremely customer service oriented ('cause the customers need to beable to FIND the books). So, don't become a librarian just because you like to read or you like the idea that you're surrounded by books. Don'tbecome a librarian if you think that it's going to be a quiet, stress-free job (especially if you plan to work with the public.) Don't become alibrarian if you want an easy job either. There is very little that is "easy" about being a librarian. Become a librarian if you have a passion forteaching or for getting vital (to the customer) and accurate information to the public who needs it most. That's what we do as librarians. We giveinformation away for free. The way we do it varies depending on the setting (special, academic, public or school), but that is our most important job--to makeaccurate information available to anyone and everyone who needs it.

Next week, I will reach the 1 year mark on being the Teen Librarian at my medium-sized Missouri public library (which means my salary is in the mid 30s). Sofar, this has been the most challenging job I've ever had and by far and away the most rewarding. There is nothing that makes my day better than having adepartment full of rowdy teens. I get to be a teacher (a well respected teacher, even) without the homework. There is no better career choice forme.

90K sounds a little high to me, but itwould depend on your experience, your education, and what kind of librarian you want to be. Check out that American Library Association's website to dosome research (www.ala.org).

Definitely take a look at theprofessional tools section (http://www.ala.org/ala/proftools/professional.htm) and go down tothe "type of professional" link. This will give you all kinds of info.

For specific information about thecareer including salary information go to: http://www.ala.org/ala/education/educationcareers.htm

For information on library schoolscheck out: http://www.ala.org/ala/accreditation/lisdirb/lisdirectory.cfm.

Check out the "I loveLibraries" site too: www.ilovelibraries.org

For some librarian humor: http://www.unshelved.com/. Not only is it funny, but for the most part, it's true to life.

Good luck!

Cari

Teen Librarian
FYI - TeenLibrarian = Head of the Teen Department. She's 27.

i didn't know librarians made that much for base salary. but i would imagine it to be boring. who am i to speak though, my declared major is accounting.bah.

Originally Posted by prerat

FYI - Teen Librarian = Head of the Teen Department. She's 27.

Awww, that sounded like a cool detective name
frown.gif

Anyway, the job of librarian is quite descent from people I know in the profession and from what I've read it can be pretty fun too

i was contemplating a library sciences degree for a while but im quite content working on a poly sci degree. my school doesnt even offer a library sciencedegree but we are a top 5 poly sci program. maybe ill try to get one in the future though.

I think google is trying to scan every book from the Library of Congress
i currently work at meyer library at stanford university doing tech support...but for 4 years before my current job, i used to work at differentlibraries all throughout working on projects (huge shifts, book moves, etc). google is indeed working on a project right now here at stanford, collecting booksand scanning them onto their databases. however, to my understanding, they are still stuck in a legal battle with book companies concerning copyright issues,so they are only scanning the really old books right now that dont have any copyrights or something like that.

but as far as being a librarian....they do make money. and all the bosses that ive worked for have all been cool and chill, to where i wouldnt mind havingtheir job later on. i know some lady here at stanford got promoted to become the head librarian at some other university where the salary was through the roof.if all else fails for me, im gonna stick it through here and move my way on up the ranks!

Originally Posted by prerat

90K sounds a little high to me, but it would depend on your experience, your education, and what kind of librarian you want to be. Check out that American Library Association's website to do some research (www.ala.org).

like i said, geez NT be too general with topics like this sometimes. word to 80k a year garbagemen.

^true....but even with the fresh outta school librarians, their salary is something to smile about. i mean dudes are well off being a librarian.

90k? c'mon now.......just cause you heard one librarian makes that does not mean that is the average salary for one.

do more research about it.

I work at a library, and the HEAD librarian makes 68K a year. It all depends on the city you work for.

90k wow never expected it yay..only if you don't have any dreams or any real passion or plans with your future maybe you could use this road until you findsomething you really want to do the extra money won't hurt

Back
Top Bottom