You Sure You're Working In the Right Field? Vol. 820 U.S. Occupations and their mean annual wages

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/us/lawyer-suicides/

My profession is loaded with seven day cats. It's that big firm life and the personality of a lot of these attys. they are so alpha that having a two year old car is like death. Swear, these people are the most superficial people I've ever met and if you don't play the game, at least at this point in my career, then you're an outkast. These people with rich parents, great internships, good grades etc. are still walking around looking like they'll kill themselves if they don't find a job today.

Working in the public defenders office would be stressful, knowing your innocent clients go in and your guilty ones go free. Besides, the resources are so disproportionate...I want to be a public pretender for a bit, but after five years I gotta bounce. Solo practice, business law maybe...I just don't want to hate the world anymore than I already do, now I'm disappointed but three years as a public defender I may start to just hate the world...well see.

Yep.  I'm doing it all wrong.  :smh:

Or I just live in a crappy area.  Probably both.  

Knew I should've gone into the healthcare field.  
Unless you have a passion for it, you'd be miserable and that misery would probably lead to a plethora of problems in your personal life.

Don't sweat it bro.

Yeah, I feel what you're saying. That said, if I'm going to be miserable, I'd rather be making more money lol.

^ That sounds great and I'd love to be that dude.  Unfortunately, I'm like a lot of 30-something year olds who are at a career crossroads after finding out the field they entered just isn't for them.  If I'm spending the majority of my life at work away from my family, I want to at least enjoy and get some satisfaction from what I do instead of just going through the motions for a paycheck. 

I'd love to do it for the love, but sometimes transforming what you love into a viable career is difficult.  

you didnt know anethesiology paid well?

This chart is suspect, I know for a fact anesthesiologists are not the highest paid physicians. I think they grouped all surgical specialties into one which made it a little skewed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/07/18/the-best-paying-jobs-for-doctors/

Anesthesiology doesn't even break the top 10

every physician report on salaries is different because they are all based on physician's survey responses. cardiologists are definitely not #3. that's just laughable man

This chart is suspect, I know for a fact anesthesiologists are not the highest paid physicians. I think they grouped all surgical specialties into one which made it a little skewed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/07/18/the-best-paying-jobs-for-doctors/

i was just thinking, one of my friends from hs' dad was a neurosurgeon and dude is a mutlimillionaire

i mean he has saved, but he made a lil more than a mill annual

every physician report on salaries is different because they are all based on physician's survey responses. cardiologists are definitely not #3. that's just laughable man

also these numbers are not solely salary but also include incentives and benefits from vendors that many other specialties are not privy to.

Seeing charts like this in HS made me want to go for the medical field. Luckily I realized I had zilch passion for medicine whatsoever. Props though to everyone grinding through

Last edited:

I know for a fact anesthesia isn't number 1.

Orthopaedic surgeons, Plastic surgeons, Pediatric surgeons, neurosurgeons, cardiothoracic surgeons, Dermatologists, Urologists, Radiologists, Gastroenterologists make more. And yes interventional cardiologists are up there.

http://healthcareers.about.com/od/compensationinformation/f/TopPayDoctors.htm

http://healthcare.dmagazine.com/2013/08/15/cath-lab-cardiologists-top-highest-paid-physicians-list/

I mean there are multiple lists out there anesthesia is not number 1 on any of them.

i can google and find just as many lists that show the contrary. all i'm trying to say is these types of reports are always skewed based on physician response and many other variables that are unaccounted for. i personally couldn't care less if my field was #1 or #99

one more point lol. there is often a huge difference between physician base salary and gross pay wages. we're talking often hundreds of thousands

one more point lol. there is often a huge difference between physician base salary and gross pay wages. we're talking often hundreds of thousands

Ok? How does this factor into anesthesiologists being the highest paid doctors?

i'm not saying anesthesiologists are definitively #1. all i am saying is that these lists are highly subjective for numerous reasons. the difference between base salary and gross pay varies for almost all specialties in medicine, especially in fields that are procedurally based, be it anesthesia, GI, nuerosurgery, cosmetic surgery, IR, EP, etc.

the pay for surgeons also varies greatly. general surgery does not pay very well, especially for the time they put in for training. $200k for a "butt and gut" surgeon is really not that far off

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my wife works for one of the more known plastic surgeons in our state and in the southeast and he pulls in around 200k per month AFTER expenses. And that's just from his practice--doesn't include the surgeries he does at the local hospital.

For what it's worth, my wife works for one of the more known plastic surgeons in our state and in the southeast and he pulls in around 200k per month AFTER expenses. And that's just from his practice--doesn't include the surgeries he does at the local hospital.
sick.gif

I heard plastic surgery isn't as lucrative as it used to be because of the economy, but people are still paying out of pocket for breast augmentations.
Yeah I think that across the board it isn't as lucrative as it once was.  But this guy has been practicing in the area for 40+ years, so he charges a premium price.  Folks travel from other states to have him do their work.

He's also doing a TON of injectables now too, as things have trended that way in that industry.  Botox has given him CRAZY business and the profit from it is ridiculous due to it being such a simple procedure.  

dont they take a hit tho with the insurance they pay?

i heard theyre always ****** up so their insurance is high
This hasn't been true for decades. Malpractice has been going down and anesthesiology is the only field that has shown to make significant improvements in patient safety over the past few years. We have so many checks and alarms it is difficult to make serious mistakes without being careless

dont they take a hit tho with the insurance they pay?

i heard theyre always ****** up so their insurance is high
This hasn't been true for decades. Malpractice has been going down and anesthesiology is the only field that has shown to make significant improvements in patient safety over the past few years. We have so many checks and alarms it is difficult to make serious mistakes without being careless
decades tho? 

i remember when this movie dropped

Awakeposter07.jpg

and that whole situation became a hot topic, mainly because it happened pretty often

and that movie was in 2007 

Let me tell you guys something. The reason anesthesia is usually number 1 on those list is because most anesthesiologist get paid via W-2 as it's a hospital based specialty. It's easy to track that money. If you're in another branch of medicine and you have an office with employees, etc..you are a 1099 earner and can hide your loot. As far as the list lionblood produced stating anesthesiologist weren't in the top ten, I know anesthesiologist who make 300k annually. I also know an anesthesiologist who makes 3 million annually. It's all who you ask and what they're willing to tell you :lol:

Hide your money...that's what this thread should be about...or the fact anesthesiologist have access to the best drugs. This is how white folk make money.

Still haven't seen this movie, it's literally my worst nightmare. I've had friends who had surgery who have experienced anesthetic awareness. :x One was getting his ACL repaired and said he felt the whole thing but couldn't move.

Can't argue with what your friend said but the description you gave would indicate he was paralyzed and not anesthetized. He was likely under a general anesthetic with muscle relaxation on board and an insufficient amount of inhaled anesthetic. Now, that being said, his vital signs would have been THROUGH THE ROOF. His elevated vital signs would have at the least led to a search for a cause, which would have led to someone turning the gas up or on. Mistakes are made, but the scenario you described is pretty rare.

Back
Top Bottom