¨Every Noise at Once¨: a technology thread

let´s have a quick chat about one of the good things technology has enabled.

this site is a comprehensive, algorithmically-enabled database of practically every known musical genre.

not like ¨46 different kinds of rock¨ or some generic ¨world music¨ bs.

like, every noise. at once.

not only does it serve as a compendium of musical dialects, it also functions as a history of the medium´s development...the search feature allows you to enter your favorite artist, band, or musical type and see a web of influences both predating and stemming from the individual contributor.

each entry is accompanied with a short clip from the genre.

seems like a good time to find some new music, and these are some initial findings from my personal search:

[literally checks notes]

jams:
future funk
new French touch
psychill

hilarious:
catstep
deathgrass
fake (yes, just ¨fake¨)

kinda interesting:
deep funk ostentation(!)
punk blues
Christian afrobeat

4 buttcheeks:
trap metal italiana
intelligent dance music??
rhythm game

that´s not even music bruh:
japanoise
abstract
electroacoustic composition

in my opinion, this is an accomplishment on the level of something like the Dewey decimal system or Pantone color matching.

humans are amazing, and there are plenty of reasons to live, that is all.

be honest, I was paralyzed for a minute, then I just scrolled down until I saw something I was familiar with...¨hip-hop¨ yields a sample of A Tribe Called Quest´s ¨´Can I Kick It?¨

from there I just started clicking on stuff that looked weird, which is how I found (and hated) japanoise.

I also tested out the search feature by typing ¨Jimi Hendrix¨ to find his musical classifications, which I was then able to click to find the web of directly and indirectly associated acts...from Chuck Berry to the White Stripes.

Last edited:
Just funny where my mind goes. So you are essentially given a buffet with ANY food you could think of and nobody is placing any restrictions on you. What are you running to first?

This is where I started. : Every Noise at Once - west coast rap http://everynoise.com/engenremap-westcoastrap.html

I can dig it...went with something easily recognizable for the same reason I usually get something relatively basic the first time I go to a new restaurant: if this is ****ed up, there´s no chance you got anything else right.

Back
Top Bottom