šŸ¦‰The Official Drake Thread6ļøāƒ£ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

art is subjective. if joe really knew ā€œartā€ he wouldnā€™t have been a failure in the music industry.

reminds me of marco pierre giving up his 3 michelin stars.

ā€œiā€™m being judged by people who know less than meā€

By that logic, Michael Jordan should be the greatest general manager of all time.

He's not tho, he's terrible.
Being good a craft =/= evaluating what makes a craft good.

it's two related but different skills sets.

art is subjective.

it's not. art must have objective criteria, otherwise it is not art.

art is subjective. if joe really knew ā€œartā€ he wouldnā€™t have been a failure in the music industry.

reminds me of marco pierre giving up his 3 michelin stars.

ā€œiā€™m being judged by people who know less than meā€
Then maybe we should all shut up as well since we arenā€™t as successful

Music is art thatā€™s 100% correct

But we are consumers of music we should be able to critique it regardless

Joe hit a nerve

I wonder if ****** was mad at Michael Jackson for doing New Jack Swing in 92.

Like dammit Mike, why you not on Disco instrumentation anymore.

And we want your thoughts on this governor from Arkansas |l

Before we get into an argument of semantics.... Failure is being used in a relative sense.

I mean it's really just a goal post shift. because Joe Buden is only failure relative to Drake.

if we are judging based on the amount of people who attempt music as a career and the amount of people who reach Joe Budden's level.
Joe Budden is a massive success relative to 99% of musicians.

20231007_165533.jpg

Oh you KNOW Joe hit a nerve.

The funny thing is Joe defended Drakeā€™s last 2 projects :lol:. Itā€™s hard to argue with the number though because if any of us got offered $500 MILLION, then weā€™d be doing the same thing as Drake.

Isn't Drake succeeding in the objective sense? In such a manner that it can't be questioned?

But IDC. He's still making music I like that's all I care about. It's all good that people are starting to get turned off from it. Affects me in no way.

We have about two albums left I'd say. The last album will be 10 tracks of just him rapping with no hooks over looped samples

I mean it's really just a goal post shift. because Joe Buden is only failure relative to Drake.

if we are judging based on the amount of people who attempt music as a career and the amount of people who reach Joe Budden's level.
Joe Budden is a massive success relative to 99% of musicians.
It's not a goal post shift. It's setting a baseline of comparison but yeah. I'm sorry you didn't care for it

By that logic, Michael Jordan should be the greatest general manager of all time.

He's not tho, he's terrible.
Being good a craft =/= evaluating what makes a craft good.

it's two related but different skills sets.

it's not. art must have objective criteria, otherwise it is not art.

that comparison is flawed because it assumes MJ had the resources to build a team he 100% envisioned.

thereā€™s are rules to the NBA.

Then maybe we should all shut up as well since we arenā€™t as successful

Music is art thatā€™s 100% correct

But we are consumers of music we should be able to critique it regardless

Joe hit a nerve

who said you canā€™t critique? the point is no matter what our opinions are, Drake knows whatā€™s gonna sell and what wont. drake knows better than us what kind of music the majority of people want.

and itā€™s clear because millions of people still listen to drakes new stuff.

that comparison is flawed because it assumes MJ had the resources to build a team he 100% envisioned.

who said you canā€™t critique? the point is no matter what our opinions are, Drake knows whatā€™s gonna sell and what wont. drake knows better than us what kind of music the majority of people want.

You would have to
Listen to it to critique it (so saying the people that listen to Drakes new stuff isnā€™t fitting in this situation)
And itā€™s obvious the word is out this **** is getting tired pretty fast

This critique stuff is madness cause more people like it than don't. Let's not pretend like that isn't true regardless of how YOU feel about it.

I despise a bunch of rappers that people like. I say nothing about it cause I am the minority it doesn't matter.

it's a salary capped league? :lol:

and ignoring MJ this is a very consistent pattern, the best coaches, gm's, teachers, tend to be mid to low level players.
Genius tend to make the worst coaches because their genius allows them to utilize shortcuts not availible to 99% of people.

Hakeem post up camp is useless to most players, because most player can't hit contested fadeaways like Hakeem.

Drake can probabaly wake up and stumble into a booth and put together a song that will chart higher than something Joe Budden spends 1000 hours on. Thats's genius level talent.

But Joe is probably better positioned to tell you why something is great, because he's spent more time than Drake actually thinking about it and struggling with it.

Joe Budden didn't say "this won't sell" in fact he basically says the opposite.
He was making an artistic criticism.

and I think the retreat to pointing at charts or career success is Drake effectively conceding the point.

This is the equivalent of LeBron writing 3 paragraphs about Rashad McCants. Bro, what's understood doesn't need to be explained. He doesn't realize that people like budden and ctg feed on negativity, every phrase you utter will get spun into another argument.

It might be the old man in me. But agree w joe.
Drake may be the biggest musical artist since elvis/mj.

But this is def not no dawg ish.

Just something small to criticize him on. Implying that he's too old for them "young girls".

Na, I don't think that's what people are criticizing/laughing at. He can do whatever he wants, but you messing with these young IG girls and then complain about them on a song as a 37 year old is tiresome. I think that's the complaint. What did you expect messing with an early 20 year old IG influencer.

But that's where he is at life and he's just speaking from his perspective. But it's not unfair to think he's corny for crying about a early to mid 20 year old girl doing early to mid 20 year old things.

Last edited:
thereā€™s really nothing j cole can do to be looked at in the same light as drake

that seems to be the way drake sees it with kendrick and cole

he has all the popularity and accolades, theyā€™re playing different games at this point

years ago this may have been a issue to drake like when big sean bested him on ā€˜all meā€™

today it doesnā€™t seem like he cares

Agreed. Years ago, we got Jodeci Back and THAT version of Drake wasnā€™t about to let Cole mop him up.

Drake definitely overreacted and made it very petty/personal

Budden did get a little personal though by repeatedly saying Drake needs to hang out with people his own age. Saying that's the reason the music wasn't connecting. I find that critique to be a little stupid because he's made all types of music recently that are way different than the album

But with that said, yeah Drake went off the deep end trying to ether that man's soul when all he really said was "yeah I wish he would make more adult rap"

The reaction was probably one to Budden's repeated critique

Na, I don't think that's what people are criticizing/laughing at. He can do whatever he wants, but you messing with these young IG girls and then complain about them on a song as a 37 year old is tiresome. I think that's the complaint. What did you expect messing with an early 20 year old IG influencer.

But that's where he is at life and he's just speaking from his perspective. But it's not unfair to think he's corny for crying about a early to mid 20 year old girl doing early to mid 20 year old things.

Bingo,

he sounds ridiculous complaining about immature bird behavoir but you exclusively mess with immature birds.

it's like what if Leo Dicaprio was writing sad boy moody rnb about 21 year old blonde models being immature"

I didnā€™t get Joeā€™s criticism of either of those records for that EXACT reason :lol:.

Yeah I mean IMO the album has a few tracks that should appeal to everyone. Thatā€™s what Drake does. Away From Home and 8 AM in Charlotte appeal to the rap crowd while the Sexxy Red, SZA and Bad Bunny tracks are clearly for the women. Itā€™s almost like dudes wanted him to put out a straight rap album, but I get what Joe is saying.

Yeah I mean IMO the album has a few tracks that should appeal to everyone. Thatā€™s what Drake does. Away From Home and 8 AM in Charlotte appeal to the rap crowd while the Sexxy Red, SZA and Bad Bunny tracks are clearly for the women. Itā€™s almost like dudes wanted him to put out a straight rap album, but I get what Joe is saying.

I disagree. I like all Drake. Pop drake, rapper drake, spanish Drake, girl song drake. ect.

When Drake was in peak form he could do all of these thinga at an incredibly high level but also synthesize them into a cohesive package.

The best Drake records don't feel like here's the girl songs, the rapper song, the pop song. It all felt like a cohesive whole.

I think everything has fallen off, the beats, production, the quality of song writing has fallen way off so the album's feel way more disjointed and cynical.

Tbh I think honestly nevermind is the only recent exception.

While it's still sloppier than prime Drake, it atleast feels like he has a bit of inspiration playing in a new genere.

I disagree. I like all Drake. Pop drake, rapper drake, spanish Drake, girl song drake. ect.

When Drake was in peak form he could do all of these thinga at an incredibly high level but also synthesize them into a cohesive package.

The best Drake records don't feel like here's the girl songs, the rapper song, the pop song. It all felt like a cohesive whole.

I think everything has fallen off, the beats, production, the quality of song writing has fallen way off so the album's feel way more disjointed and cynical.

Tbh I think honestly nevermind is the only recent exception.

While it's still sloppier than prime Drake, it atleast feels like he has a bit of inspiration playing in a new genere.

Thatā€™s a fair critique. The album does feel disjointed. Some of the bars are lazy and that Cole record really exposed that, but at the end of the day I could still vibe with it.

Itā€™s not his best work but I donā€™t think itā€™s trash. I also think that if he cut it down to the best 12-13 tracks people would be reacting a lot differently. Itā€™s hard for most artists to put out a cohesive album when itā€™s 23 tracks long :lol:

Back
Top Bottom