⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. I’m going to have to digest this more thoroughly and get back to you.

Yea, my stance is human beings are not MORE athletic now than 20 years ago.

The better "raw" athletes are just more skilled and are able to afford trainers at an earlier age.

But that is my opinion and there is no way to really test that.

The best we can do is compare combine stats. :lol:

Yea, my stance is human beings are not MORE athletic now than 20 years ago.

The better "raw" athletes are just more skilled and are able to afford trainers at an earlier age.

But that is my opinion and there is no way to really test that.

The best we can do is compare combine stats. :lol:
Guys from the combine are coming in younger so their bodies arent as developed yet

Players are faster more athletic now cause they are also leaner. Since the game now is more pace and space speed is more important than brute strength and mass
This right here. When people want to get in the discussion about players from different eras, I dead that off top. My go to comparison is : in the 90’s, 6’8 250 got you Karl Malone. In today’s game 6’8 250 is Bron. Two totally different games and body types.

We never saw Karl bringing the ball floor running the offense and we could never see Bron setting screens, pick and popping or getting the bulk of his touches via posting up

Not at all.

EYE am firmly in the camp that believes there is much more to athleticism than just speed and leaping ability.

I think that in 2021, the average NBA players has a superior combination of speed/quickness/agility/dexterity than the average NBA player 30 years ago.

and why is that? for me, I believe it has to do with primarily culture change, popularity and influence. I believe in the past that playing basketball was a god-given natural talent for you to get to that high-level. nowadays, kids can get to atleast that close to that level with certain exposure and training. I remember growing up that NBA basketball is only for the elite kind and you have to be really good to get a chance. it was also the time where training camps were at their infancy and not a lot of kids were that interested yet. the motivation for basketball back then weren't as strong as it is now considering the perks like free education, money, fame, endorsements and all that jazz. the ones that got to that level were physically and fundamentally gifted in their areas for playing basketball. also, forgot that the equipment like shoes, therapy and medical advancement has allowed this generation of players that competitive edge that their predecessors didn't have.

the improvement of players we have now is the result of pampering done. I can only imagine the next big thing that people can come up with with regards to performance. maybe genetic splicing is the next one.

with all the improvements we have with performance, I believe rules should evolve for the better or atleast maintain that level of integrity as far as running the sport is concerned. the prevalent stupid technical calls, flopping, and travelling should go.

But I think this disproves the assumption that the league has gotten bigger/taller over the years. I have heard many people make that claim for a few years now.
That’s only cuz they see a few more bigger cats handling the rock or playing the PG position in their offense...Like Bron, Luka, Harden, Simmons

But then we got more 6’6 power forwards than it’s ever been :lol:

76bddfed428332003d64a976735ce35211fd1aad.gif

Those pacer flavored uniforms should be worn again next season in Indy when hopefully fans in bulk are allowed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom