04-05 Phoenix Suns team should have never split

I was reading an article published by Dime, and made me wonder what if this team stayed together.. 
tired.gif
  Makes me wanna slap Sarver..

[h2]http://dimemag.com/2011/07/the-best-team-that-never-was/[/h2]
[h2]The Best Team That Never Was[/h2]
Imagine what could’ve been. Imagine all that would’ve been different in the NBA. San Antonio’s run could’ve easily ended three or four years ago. The Lakers might still be fighting to get back on top. Would New York basketball have ever come back?

Things would be so different. Everything would be different. Maybe Dirk and Dallas would’ve never needed this spring to redefine their image because their initial 2006 playoff collapse would’ve never happened. The Celtics probably still would’ve come together but who knows if even their vaunted defense could’ve stopped this juggernaut?

Back in 2005, the Phoenix Suns changed the game with their “Seven Seconds or Less

Wow....never thought of that. Great read.

Always thought they should have made atleast one finals

Joe Johnson asks for a $50 million extension before the 04-05 season which gets declined by Robert Sarver, Johnson then has a very good season and then Sarver offers $50 million to Johnson in free agency. 
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

I still would've matched an offer sheet for Johnson if I were Sarver and the Suns though.

Crazy how a team can suck in an instant.  We're lucky Nash hasn't asked out.  He's probably goin to go down as my favorite Sun of all time... on court, and off court.  More athletes need to be like him.

Originally Posted by DesertDunk 34

But bottom line is that our owner is cheap and we just have to live with it

tired.gif
It's not just cheap. It's irrationally cheap. The Suns will trade their picks for cash and then sign Josh Childress.

It doesn't make any sense and I'd hate to be a fan of that team.

but the suns did not play defense though....

i still think they should have won 1 championship.

They played decent defense given the number of possessions that occurred in the games they played.

this discussion comes up from time to time with my basketball buddies.

this team

also that clippers team from the early 2000s

Brand, Dooling, Maggette, Miles, Odom and Q-Rich.

what couldve been
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

nash is my second favorite player of all time behind pippen
hope to see him get one while hes still the leader

Even though the author basically says the Suns lucked out on Diaw's production after the big contract, I still think he's giving them too much credit.

Diaw's production in over 35:00 of playing time every game wasn't even that impressive.

great team, but like people said up there, the owner is cheap..

and joe johnson had a heck of a year ..

and Q rich from 3 was like automatic

Originally Posted by JPZx

Even though the author basically says the Suns lucked out on Diaw's production after the big contract, I still think he's giving them too much credit.

Diaw's production in over 35:00 of playing time every game wasn't even that impressive.

We'll never know, the 05-06 Suns didn't have Stat the entire year! I remember that's when the critics said Nash had inflated numbers due to Amare and that when he was out Nash's production would drop. Well, it didn't. we knew then that Nash as MVP was no fluke. And the 05-06 team didn't face the Spurs in the playoffs, Dallas did. Phoenix would've won it all that year with a healthy Stoudemire.

But again, like the Kings of 02-03, we can only imagine what could've been.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Originally Posted by JPZx

We'll never know, the 05-06 Suns didn't have Stat the entire year! I remember that's when the critics said Nash had inflated numbers due to Amare and that when he was out Nash's production would drop. Well, it didn't. we knew then that Nash as MVP was no fluke. And the 05-06 team didn't face the Spurs in the playoffs, Dallas did. Phoenix would've won it all that year with a healthy Stoudemire.

But again, like the Kings of 02-03, we can only imagine what could've been.
Kinda nitpicking here but how does Dime Mag mess up that article by saying the Suns played the Mavs in the WCF in 2005 
grin.gif

Looking back though, I'll have to say the 05-06 Suns were pretty impressive considering they made it to the WCF w/o Amare. I've always wondered why the Suns kept trading all those draft picks away for no legit reason
30t6p3b.gif

A damn shame the way things panned out gradually after the 04-05 season with the lost season by Amare in 05-06, the controversial playoff series with the Spurs in 06-07 that left ppl feeling the Suns got cheated, the 07-08 season that turned into a lost season/transition yr after they traded for Shaq, the 08-09 which was another lost season when they started off with Terry Porter preaching defense and the team struggling, then firing Porter before the all-star break, going back to run and gun with Gentry, then 09-10's surprising run to the WCF where they came up just short vs the Lakers. 

Back
Top Bottom