09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

My boy bout to put in WORK

pimp.gif

The Love Child.

HBO actin' like Kirkland is gonna swallow him up...watch Joel cut into those plans.

Speakin' of HBO, you really gotta give them some credit...seems like they've finally realized what us fans want. 2009 is really shaping up to the best year for Boxing in recent memory...and I love how they are going back to the roots of Boxing After Dark and giving us prospects. The best thing?

Berto/Collazo
JMM/Diaz
Mosley/Margarito

Free TV FTW!

Outside of last week's Top Rank card and Pac-Man/Hatton...how many cards are on PPV?

EDIT: Can somebody hook me up with a Team Boxing Sig?

I don't think it's HBO just being nice by giving these great cards that aren't on PPV, it's that they don't have a choicebecause of the economy. Hopkins-Pavlik did 190K and even with the 24/7 series Calzaghe-Jones only did 225K when they projected 500K.

Originally Posted by BCF06

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Originally Posted by BCF06

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

Great night of fights. 2009 is off to a rockin start.

I thought Chris John won that first fight. I can live with a draw, but thats about as far towards Rocky that i could see it. I liked the way John controlled the fight and showed superior ring generalship, and landed some decent shots in there as well. Hopefully John isn't discouraged and runs back home for the rest of his career ala Felix Sturm.

As for Marquez, what can you say at this point? The stuff he's doing is absolutely insane. I have to think about it more once the adrenaline from this performance has died down, but i might have to put him over Barrera and Morales now all-time. If he moves up to 140 and wins the title their as well, Marquez may have to go down as the best Mexican fighter of the last, i dunno, 25-30 years? The resume Marquez is creating at his age is absolutely astonishing. I can't believe how his power just keeps on carrying up the scale. Its ridiculous.
Woah Woah there a minute. JMM is a great fighter and when it is all said and done he could be better than Morales and Barrera but no Mexican fighter so far will ever match the great Julio Ceasar Chavez.
In popularity no doubt. But IF JMM wins a title at 140, he'd be the first Mexican ever to win a title in 4 weight classes. And if its the Hatton-Manny winner, he'd be the Ring Mag champ in 4 weight classes. Not to mention he's doing that at such an advanced age. Again, i wouldn't put him there yet, but a win over Hatton or Manny at 140 would give him one HELL of a resume. I was never a huge JCC fan so i dunno.

Well thats you opinion and its cool but I tell you JCC did some awesome things those that followed his career know that. However JMM can be right up there I just hope Manny gives him that opportunity again which I doubt because he has said he doesn't want to fight him again.
O I know JCC did some great things. I am aware of his accomplishments, i was never a huge fan of the fighter himself, but i respect everything hedid. I just think what Marquez has done, especially in recent years is historic. And he has a great opportunity to add to it in the near future. Starting at126 and potentially beating the Lineal World Champ at 140 pounds is a great accomplishment, and something never been done by a mexican fighter. If he pullsthat off Marquez needs to at least be in the discussion with JCC.

I just watched the fight again. I'll just say that the mental toughness of Marquez is unbelievable. Whether it's being knocked down 3 times in thefirst round against Pac or tonight when the pressure early on seemed to make him uncomfortable, he's displayed an iron will and absolutely refuses to bebroken. I had a lot of respect for him before tonight but now it's even greater.

[h1]Marquez wins another classic[/h1]
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 36 minutes ago

• Buzz up! 0 votes
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Kevin Iole

HOUSTON - Juan Diaz joked after being stopped in the ninth round of a brilliant battle with Juan Manuel Marquez at the Toyota Center on Saturday that hemight become mayor of his hometown one day.

If Diaz had been able to get past Marquez, he might have been able to bypass the mayor of Houston and gotten himself elected governor of Texas.

But Marquez shattered Diaz's dreams of a career-defining victory on a night that showed what boxing at its best can be.

Marquez capped a special night of boxing by outslicking a fighter who nearly was his equal in every area, knocking down Diaz twice in the ninth round andgetting the win when referee Rafael Ramos stopped the lightweight title fight at 2:40 of the round.

"That guy might very well be the best fighter, pound-for-pound, in the world," former middleweight champion, Bernard Hopkins, one of thecard's promoters, said of Marquez.

Chris John and Rocky Juarez had opened the HBO-televised card with an outstanding battle for a featherweight title that wound up in a draw. Opinion amongmedia varied widely - Yahoo! Sports had it 116-112 for John - but the consensus in the crowd was that it was a special fight.

As good as it was, though, it paled in comparison to the main event, which had the near-sellout crowd of 14,571 on its feet and roaring from the firstpunch. Diaz was true to his prefight promise and attacked Marquez, firing hooks that sent Marquez in retreat.

Marquez, though, has a long history of weathering a firestorm early and coming back to win. His counterpunching took its toll on Diaz, who grew increasinglyreckless and opened himself for withering shots that Marquez began to deliver.

"I didn't underestimate him at all because I knew he was very good, but he showed me something tonight," Diaz said. "Marquez is a greatchampion."

The fight was so close that the each judge scored it differently. Duane Ford had it 77-75 for Marquez. Max DeLuca had it 77-75 for Diaz, and Levi Martinezhad it 76-76. Yahoo! Sports had it 77-75 for Diaz at the time of the stoppage.

Diaz was beating Marquez to the punch in most of the early rounds, but Marquez rarely let Diaz throw the final blow of an exchange. No matter what Diaz hithim with - and it was a lot - Marquez came back firing.

"He was landing those sneaky right hands in there when Diaz was throwing them wide left hooks," Hopkins said. "Hehurt him two times in the fight, I think. Then he started sitting down on his punches a little more. And listen, these guys were using a lot of energy, andthat made a big difference.

"You can be smart when you have all your energy, but the thing that separates the good fighters from the great ones is ifyou can be smart when you're tired. That's when your punches have to be accurate and you can't afford to waste anything. And that's whereMarquez is professional and [experience] came into play."

After the fight, Marquez said he'd like to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., who was rated the No. 1 fighter in the world when he unexpectedly retired inJune. Mayweather has a large tax debt and is widely expected to return, though it's not likely he'd have much interest in fighting Marquez.

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya said he fully expected Mayweather to return and said he'd work to arrange a Mayweather-Marquez fight or a Mayweather-ShaneMosley match. But he took a little jab at the man who defeated him in 2007 and said he doubted Mayweather would be up to the challenge.

"He will be back, absolutely," De La Hoya said of Mayweather. "He will be back. If he wants to fight a Shane Mosley or a Juan Manuel Marquez,or any of our other fighters, they're right here waiting for him.

"Juan Manuel is a dangerous, dangerous fighter for Mayweather, and I don't see him taking it because he is so dangerous. Just like he won'ttake Mosley. Absolutely, I have no doubt he is [looking for safe fights]."

The ring wasn't a safe place to be Saturday, which hasn't always been the case in recent years. But executives at HBO,which televises the lion's share of the sport's major matches, insist they no longer are interested in giving stars easy victories.

About eight hours before the broadcast kicked off on Saturday, HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said he had learned his lessonand that the company was going to insist that the promoters provide only quality, competitive matches.

"We're standing firm," said Greenburg, who has come under heavy media attack in recent years because of the largenumber of mismatches that have appeared on the network.

But all three HBO shows in 2009 have been compelling, and next week's "Boxing After Dark" show in San Jose, Calif.,headlined by James Kirkland and Joel Julio, is another quality card.

Marquez, one of the most entertaining fighters of his generation, said he's happy to oblige with those kinds of shows.

"I only want to fight the best guys," Marquez said. "Mayweather, [Ricky] Hatton, [Manny] Pacquiao, whoever it is,those are the fights I want. These are the kinds of fights the people want. You heard them tonight. These are the kinds of fights we should givethem."

Greenburg might win Man of the Year if he can fill the final 10 months of the year with the kinds of shows HBO has aired already. And if Diaz keeps fightingthe way he has, he may yet fulfill his dream of getting elected to a political office.http://

Marquez may not win any elections or popularity contests, but all he does is put on compelling shows and, more often than not, comes out on top.

He said he wants to fight at least two more times in 2009, if not more, which is only great news for the sport.

It's looking like 2009 is going to be the sport's best year in a long time.

If u just want the "team boxing" part, just copy it straight out my sig. If u want diff. colors and listof fighters and a quote orsomethin, let me know. I'll make u one, it takes like 10 seconds

Might have to holla at that sig
pimp.gif

Just wanted to add that JMM is gawddamn sniper. Like B-Hop said, dude was landing some sneaky +#$ punches.

edit:
Might sound crazy but ppl have already suggested Pac/Hatton vs. Shane but..

What about JMM vs. Shane, I'd give him a better shot than Margarito? GBP could get this done easy.
Hell, even JMM vs. Cotto sounds nice to me.

Eagle on that would be a bit too much JMM is a regular sized 135 Shane and Cotto would be way too big for him , Hatton and Manny are closer in size .

I just watched the fight again and WOW the accuracy is just crazy and the uppercut in slo-mo was crazy Diaz just collapsing

Just finished watching the replay on HBO...wow...mad I missed out on that one live...it was one helluva fight...JMM jus took over towards the end...greatperformance from Juan Diaz tho...he gave it his all....jus came up short...JMM v. Mayweather....
laugh.gif
sounds like one I'd def. Pay to see but I don'tkno if Floyd would come out...maybe...

Re-watching the replay...

That first knockdown...
eek.gif
4 punch combo...Marquez is just so damn accurate.

This def has to hurt Diaz a bit, he was on his way to a decision...

Not having punching power ruined his chances because he hit Marquez with shots that should've put him on his %%%. He also caught Kadsidis with some flushshots...but again no pop. Also, him and Ronnie Shelds have to find a way to get him adjusted to dealing with cuts
mad.gif

While it may hurt him, it should make him stronger in future fights. Diaz fought an excellent fight against a future HOF'er...there's no shame in that.

If u just want the "team boxing" part, just copy it straight out my sig. If u want diff. colors and listof fighters and a quote or somethin, let me know. I'll make u one, it takes like 10 seconds
If you don't mind, i'd appreciate that. I just want Team Boxing in Red, White, & Blue. And the list offighters....Miguel Cotto, Paul Williams, Juan Diaz, Victor Ortiz, & Juan Manuel Lopez

Originally Posted by mextra45

Eagle on that would be a bit too much JMM is a regular sized 135 Shane and Cotto would be way too big for him , Hatton and Manny are closer in size .

I just watched the fight again and WOW the accuracy is just crazy and the uppercut in slo-mo was crazy Diaz just collapsing

Oh yah, I def. agree that JMM would be too small for Shane. Personally, I think he would match up well against Cotto.

Guess I'm trying to say, if JMM is gonna throw his hat in the PBF sweepstakes I don't think he'd shy away from some of the other top dogs in thewelterweight division. In short JMM has alot of options for big $$$ fights.

JMM aint too small for any welterweight.
maybe Shane because he has expeerience all the way up to Jr Middle.

His punching power will be as effective.
135-147 is splitting hairs.

Les, just copy & past

TEAMBOXING
Miguel Cotto/Paul Williams/Juan Diaz/Victor Ortiz/Juan Manuel Lopez

I just watched it again for a 3rd time and listenin to the HBO crew terrible "{ they were terrible. Its like they were rooting for Diaz.
They werent callign anything JMM was landing
laugh.gif
it was all "oo owhat a left hook from Diaz" in the middle of JMM landing 2 huge rights

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

My boy bout to put in WORK

pimp.gif

The Love Child.

HBO actin' like Kirkland is gonna swallow him up...watch Joel cut into those plans.

Speakin' of HBO, you really gotta give them some credit...seems like they've finally realized what us fans want. 2009 is really shaping up to the best year for Boxing in recent memory...and I love how they are going back to the roots of Boxing After Dark and giving us prospects. The best thing?

Berto/Collazo
JMM/Diaz
Mosley/Margarito

Free TV FTW!

Outside of last week's Top Rank card and Pac-Man/Hatton...how many cards are on PPV?

I don't think it's HBO just being nice by giving these great cards that aren't on PPV, it's that they don't have a choice because of the economy. Hopkins-Pavlik did 190K and even with the 24/7 series Calzaghe-Jones only did 225K when they projected 500K.

True, it also seems like they're trying to make "stars" and actually show young, talented, hungry boxers (anyone rembmer kellerman had somelong segment where he went over all the top young fighters signed to HBO?)....I think they know that the days of going to the well and making a match of De LaHoya/Hopkins/RJ/Mayweather/Barerra/Morales are over, they need to make good matchups, have the best young fighters fight the best, and hope that when the dustsettles those who come out on top can become the new ppv "stars"...i think its more bc all the big moneymakers for HBO are retiring/old and they needto make new ones by making good fights happen

But this fight and Berto/Collazo were great fights, and they're definetly doing a good job so far

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

I just watched it again for a 3rd time and listenin to the HBO crew terrible "{ they were terrible. Its like they were rooting for Diaz.
They werent callign anything JMM was landing
laugh.gif
it was all "oo owhat a left hook from Diaz" in the middle of JMM landing 2 huge rights

I think that was mainly just Lampley. Steward seemed to be cheerleading a little for Diaz as well but he at least acknowledged that Marquez was landing a lotof clean shots and part of the reason JMM wasn't getting as much credit is because he was being backed up when Diaz landed shots and gave the appearance ofthem being more devastating, not to mention the crowd. Kellerman came across as more pro-JMM and also acknowledged that he was landing the more effectivepunches.

O yea Ghost Guerrero is on the card too.
And don't you forget it.

I thought John won that fight but I wasn't that mad with the draw, Gunna already pointed out the fact that Rocky was landing the harder shots. As for themain event, all I can say is wow. JMM impressed the hell out of me. I was screaming all night for him to throw the uppercut and as soon as he did he startedcausing damage. IMO he's jumped to the #1 spot on the P4P list. It was pretty funny that he said something like "Pacquaio doesn't want to fightso I want Mayweather." Hopefully he wasn't serious, I don't even know if I'm sure if he should move up to 140. Manny needs to stop all thisfunny money business and just fight JMM one last time. It's a shame the Prince, Morales and Barrera didn't want to fight JMM in their respectiveprimes, but without the hard road JMM has been on to get this far I don't think he'd be respected in the same light.

Hopefully he wasn't serious, I don't even know if I'm sure if he should move up to 140

I think he was being serious but calling out PBF was more of a subliminal at PacMan.

JMM in 2 fights at lightweight pretty much cleaned out the division. I really don't see a reason for him to stay. Its too bad Nate Cambell couldn'tmake weight because that woulda been helleva fight for the LW crown.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Hopefully he wasn't serious, I don't even know if I'm sure if he should move up to 140

I think he was being serious but calling out PBF was more of a subliminal at PacMan.

JMM in 2 fights at lightweight pretty much cleaned out the division. I really don't see a reason for him to stay. Its too bad Nate Cambell couldn't make weight because that woulda been helleva fight for the LW crown.

I knew I wasnt the only one that peeped that
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

JMM in 2 fights at lightweight pretty much cleaned out the division. I really don't see a reason for him to stay. Its too bad Nate Cambell couldn't make weight because that woulda been helleva fight for the LW crown.

Ehh, maybe

JMM vs Nate woulda been a great fight. and still could be.
Nate fights soo many different styles.
He is so underated cuz he fights how he needs to vs a specific opponent,

what was that site that had old fights on it? someone mentioned it before...
If they got Nate vs Casamayor on there when he was younger, u need to peep it. straight up robbery.

what was that site that had old fights on it? someone mentioned it before...
If they got Nate vs Casamayor on there when he was younger, u need to peep it. straight up robbery.
http://www.saddoboxing.com/Video.html

I remember that fight too...but I can't %+!# on that decision too much because in my mind that was kind of him being squared for getting absolutely robbedin the fight with Popo the year before...Nate was raw back then too.

Back
Top Bottom