09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Oh proshare I thought you were talking about Ricky Rubio my bad.

That's the problem we don't know if margarito used plaster and every fight or not that's why all his victories are tainted IMO I do know that paulclearly beat him.

And people are really sleeping on Nate if they think Timmy is going to walk right thru him.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

15 round right, Pun would have been tasting the canvas at least...
eek.gif

u better go re watch that.
Paul DOMINATED 11 & 12
thats what won him the fight
He was gettin stronger.
margarito faded and 3 more rounds mighta put him on his back

Maybe I should re-watch it. But from what I remember Paul lost 11 and then dominated 12...I don't think Margs faded I just think Paul was just bombardinghim with shots. Let me save any further comments until after I re-watch.

I feel like that's one of the best late round performances for someone who hadn't been in deep water before. Momentum was all on Tonio's side &Paul went deeeeep *pause*
HBO & da crowd was just waitin for Paul's collapse and he came out Swingin

C'mon Proshares we all know that your love affair with Tonio goes waaayy back
laugh.gif

Let it go bro. (Well you could be right, haven't seen the fight in days).

Anyways... Paul vs Tonio rd 9-12 (edit: Good call. 11 went to Margarito, 12 to Williams)

I feel like that's one of the best late round performances for someone who hadn't been in deep water before. Momentum was all on Tonio's side & Paul went deeeeep *pause*
HBO & da crowd was just waitin for Paul's collapse and he came out Swingin

I'll give you that part. I gained a little bit of respect for Paul with that fight. Don't get me wrong I still think Paul won the fight, it waspretty clear in my eyes after re-watching a few times last year.

C'mon Proshares we all know that your love affair with Tonio goes waaayy back
laugh.gif

Let it go bro. (Well you could be right, haven't seen the fight in days).
laugh.gif
you got me on that one kid. And when him and Cotto havethe rematch next year I'll probably subconsiously be rooting for him. Can't see the vids from this computer gotta get home to the laptop later.

Paul Williams better make this fight with Pavlik. Dude will lose respect if he runs. Its already bad enough that he doesnt generate the revenue. Lets go Paul.Come thru for us boxing fans.

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Paul Williams better make this fight with Pavlik. Dude will lose respect if he runs. Its already bad enough that he doesnt generate the revenue. Lets go Paul. Come thru for us boxing fans.

It's not him running though, it's his promoter being unrealistic with the split. HBO has very little cash left to throw at this fight as it is. Pun's team wants 50/50 when he shouldn't get it. Nothing to do with Paul being scared or running.

[h2]Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin calls out the Middleweight division[/h2]
Sunday, 26 July 2009 00:00 Benny Henderson Jr.

peter_quillin_boxer.jpg

�He is entertaining, young, crafty, hard hitting, undefeated and a contender, and Peter Quillin 20-0 (15) wants� a title shot, and is willing to call out the entire middleweight division to get his gold.

For four years now "Kid Chocolate" has been electrifying the fans with his exciting ring presence, and after beating the likes of David Estrada (1st R. TKO), Antwun Echols (UD) and Sam Hill (10th R. TKO), Quillin wants his shot at a belt. When asked by this writer if I was talking to a future champ, Pete eagerly replied, "yes you are"!

In this exclusive interview conducted by Convicted Artist Magazine, Quillin speaks out on his hunger to earn a title, enjoy.

Benny Henderson Jr.
As always I appreciate the call, and I know you called me for a reason, so what do you want to say brother?

Peter Quillin
I definitely want to tell people for the most part, for the people that has been following my career, they should know how many rounds I have been scheduled to fight. I had twenty fights, been scheduled one hundred and twenty-six rounds, out of those I went sixty-eight rounds, and only lost only six rounds out of that sixty-eight. All the opponents they put me against have been durable opponents. I have proved that I have a chin, I have proved that I can go the distance and the rounds and be stronger towards the end of the fight. I win and I win big! What more can I do that with then fighting a guy like Kelly Pavlik? I think that would be a good fight that the fans would love to see, I am dying for a title shot. I think I deserve one. I have proved myself so let's get it on!

BH
Why Kelly Pavlik?

PQ
He is the champion, why not Kelly Pavlik? Arthur Abraham moved up in� weight, Felix Strum is in Germany, he won't come to the United States and fight. I'll go out there and fight Strum in Germany! I want a shot at the IBF title, I would like to fight for any title. But most importantly, what do the people want to see? That is what I want to give them. I am an entertainer, when you are a boxer, we are entertainers, we have to give the fans what they want. SO let's see what the fans think. That is why I am reaching out to you Benny Henderson and let you know I want to further my career. I am twenty-six years old, I feel like I am in the best shape of my life, I have learned so much about boxing within the last few years, I think I am ready for an opportunity like that to come along.

BH
It is funny that you call me wanting a fight with Kelly Pavlik, today I interviewed Sergio Mora, who has a contract to fight Pavlik. What are your thoughts on that fight?

PQ
Let the best man win, but I know what I want, I want a shot at the titles. But I want to ask you a question, out of all the guys you see fighting, who is the most energetic, who is the one you like most talking too? Kid Chocolate, a guy who is always active, I am a fighter that people love to talk about, I gave people this analogy, I am a light and I attract the moths, the fans are the moths, they are attracted to me. They are dying for a superstar, at the middleweight division, I am a star that needs to be there.

BH
You kind of answered my question for me there Pete.

PQ
(Laughs) You know me, the kids love me, I am every fighter's worst nightmare, and the ladies love me, you know how I am. I bring my bag of chocolates to the fights, they expect chocolate after the fights.

BH
See, now you are just trying to win my heart over since I am a big guy.

PQ
Hey baby we can cheat every now and then just run an extra mile.

BH
Let's just say that the Pavlik doesn't answer the call, who would you fight?

PQ
Felix Strum, I want whoever who is fighting for the IBF title, I want to fight for something.

BH
What does Peter Quillin bring to the 160-pound division?

PQ
I bring the excitement, when people see me fight they like the way I fight, I am a crowd favorite. I am a person they want to see fight, or outside the ring they want to know how I am doing. That is what I bring to the table, you dig me, like a shovel! I please the fans.

BH
Don't you have a fight coming up?

PQ
August 19th yes, but I am not over looking this opponent, I never over look anybody, I am coming to do what I do, I am trying to make a statement, I am going to win big, that is what I am training to do now. I am ready to fight, I am here to fight. My team has me in the best of mind. I am ready for whoever.

BH
Anything in closing?

PQ
I want to thank you Benny for letting me speak, and I want to thank my team, I want to thank everybody. And if you don't have Jesus Christ in your life, you need to.

I want to thank Peter Quillin for choosing Convicted Artist Magazine to speak his mind, and check out Quillin on his My Space, and Face Book page, he loves to hear from the fans.

Lets Get It....
pimp.gif

that boi cold....

Originally Posted by Proshares

Paul Williams better make this fight with Pavlik. Dude will lose respect if he runs. Its already bad enough that he doesnt generate the revenue. Lets go Paul. Come thru for us boxing fans.

It's not him running though, it's his promoter being unrealistic with the split. HBO has very little cash left to throw at this fight as it is. Pun's team wants 50/50 when he shouldn't get it. Nothing to do with Paul being scared or running.
He may not be scared, but he STILL can make a fight if he wants to.

at some point, a Fighter who really wants to fight, can be like *@%+ what yall say, I wanna fight

smh.gif
doesnt Paul have enough business sense to realize, he MAY just pick up some hardcore fans who would be willing to pay $$$ t osee him in the future, if hegoes in there and whups up Kelly in front of a hyped packed crowd.

Originally Posted by Proshares

at some point, a Fighter who really wants to fight, can be like *@%+ what yall say, I wanna fight

smh.gif
doesnt Paul have enough business sense to realize, he MAY just pick up some hardcore fans who would be willing to pay $$$ t osee him in the future, if he goes in there and whups up Kelly in front of a hyped packed crowd.

Beat me to it Gunna.

I don't know about that. Unfortunately the way things are fighters work for the promoters instead of the other way around so I don'tthink either guy is in a position to be calling the shots.

Kelly Pavlik vs. Paul Williams: Progress Being Made
Posted by: Rick Reeno on 07-28-2009.

By Rick Reeno

After the two sides hit a serious roadblock, BoxingScene.com was informed that progress is being made in the ongoing negotiations to finalize a middleweight fight between WBC/WBO champion Kelly Pavlik and challenger Paul "The Punisher" Williams. The fight would take place on September 26 with Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City as the most likely venue. As previously reported, HBO is offering $3.75 million for the fight. Pavlik would get $1.75 [plus a piece of gate, etc.], Williams to get $1.55 and Top Rank would get $500K.

According to several sources, Top Rank has raised their offer to Williams. Two different numbers are being thrown around I've yet to confirm, at the present, the actual new number. From what I know, the offer still appears to be a straight buyout - with Williams and his promoter Dan Goossen receiving no percentage of the gate and/or sponsorship money [estimated at a few million between the two]. And that is the major obstacle to overcome in finalizing the deal. Obviously Goossen would like his side to get a piece of the gate and other sources of revenue generated from the fight.

Both sides have strong arguments but Williams' side is holding an ace up their sleeve. I'll get to the ace later. Top Rank argues that Pavlik is the draw, will sell the majority of the tickets and their fighter is the champion. Williams does bring a lot to table. What he brings is nearly $2 million more than HBO was willing to pay [$2 million] for Pavlik vs. Felix Sturm.

The ace in Williams' corner is more or less a guaranteed date on HBO. If Pavlik-Williams crumbles, Williams is probably going to fight on October 3, on HBO, against WBO junior middleweight champion Sergei Dzinziruk [or another HBO approved opponent]. Pavlik on the other hand is backed against a wall because there is no guarantee that he gets a date on HBO, at least in 2009. That gives Williams and Goossen an advantage in the negotiations because Pavlik has not appeared on HBO since last year's decision loss to Bernard Hopkins, and he needs to get back in the spotlight with a strong win over a strong opponent to erase the stench of the Hopkins loss. On the other side, Williams' career would reach new heights if he were to beat the number one middleweight in the world. That would open up some heavy opportunities for Williams in the future.

Pavlik-Williams is a very strong fight and both of these guys need this kind of fight. The fact that both sides are still talking and trying to work things out is a good sign. Hopefully they sit down; both sides budge a little bit, HBO gets involved and they finalize the deal.

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Oh proshare I thought you were talking about Ricky Rubio my bad.

That's the problem we don't know if margarito used plaster and every fight or not that's why all his victories are tainted IMO I do know that paul clearly beat him.

And people are really sleeping on Nate if they think Timmy is going to walk right thru him.

Margarito always cheated and needs to be banned for life. He possibly derailed some people by cheating. Cotto, Cintron and Clottey. Williamschin>>>>>>>>>>>>>He breeze through Pavlik

I don't know why it would be so shocking for Nate to get KO'd. He was knocked COLD by Robbie Peden, he of the 14 career knockouts in 25 victories at130 lbs. Anyway, i predicted a Bradley win back when this fight was first announced in here somewhere. I think Nate got too overrated for the performance of alifetime against Juan Diaz and not doing much else in the last few years. Moving up to 140, i think he'll be out of his element. I like Bradley controllingthe last half of the fight and winning an 8-4 or 9-3 decision or possibly a late stoppage.

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

I don't know about that. Unfortunately the way things are fighters work for the promoters instead of the other way around so I don't think either guy is in a position to be calling the shots.

Yea and there's only a little less than $4 million for the fight so the promoters want to make sure they get a decent cut too. But I guess we can see itfrom both sides.

And I re-watched the clips now that I'm on my laptop.

$%@@ you guys
laugh.gif

Pacquiao-Cotto Pressure Raised, WBO Title at Stake

Filipino boxing hero and world pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao has insisted that his "Fire Power" showdown with Miguel Cotto on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas be for Cotto's welterweight title and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says he "has no problem with that, let's have it done."

Pacquiao's lawyer Franklin "Jeng" Gacal told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that he had spoken to both Arum and WBO president Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel and told them that Pacquiao wants the Cotto fight where the Puerto Rican had agreed to a catch-weight of 145 pounds to be a title fight and that both men had agreed.

Arum had earlier been quoted as saying the Pacquiao-Cotto fight would not be for the WBO 147 pound belt because apparently the fighters , particularly Cotto, wanted to save on the WBO sanction fees. At the same time boxing writer Michael Marley quoted Arum as saying "no one cares in the US about the belt." But after Gacal conveyed Pacquiao's demands to Arum, the Top Rank promoter told Gacal he was ready to make it a battle for Cotto's belt.

Gacal quoted Valcarcel as s aying "all or nothing" in reference to the fight, insisting that Cotto's title be on the line. Well known ring physician Dr. Allan Recto told us he had spoken to the WBO president Valcarcel who informed him that the sanction fee Pacquiao would have to pay amounts to $150,000 but gave no indication of how much the champion, Cotto, would be assessed.

Valcarcel also told Dr. Recto that Arum had told him before that "he was willing to pay the whole amount - for everybody. The WBO president said Pacquiao has "to write the WBO a letter of request. Then he talks to Bob Arum and Bob will inform me. Arum is willing to do it, you know. Now after that we can push Miguel Cotto to do it. We can both (Arum and Valcarcel) pressure Cotto to do it."

A victory over Cotto in a WBO world welterweight title fight will reinforce Pacquiao's incredible legacy and establish the certified Philippine hero and a hero of Asia as perhaps the greatest fighter of all-time with an incredible seven world titles.

smh.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Pacquiao-Cotto Pressure Raised, WBO Title at Stake

Filipino boxing hero and world pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao has insisted that his "Fire Power" showdown with Miguel Cotto on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas be for Cotto's welterweight title and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says he "has no problem with that, let's have it done."

Pacquiao's lawyer Franklin "Jeng" Gacal told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that he had spoken to both Arum and WBO president Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel and told them that Pacquiao wants the Cotto fight where the Puerto Rican had agreed to a catch-weight of 145 pounds to be a title fight and that both men had agreed.

Arum had earlier been quoted as saying the Pacquiao-Cotto fight would not be for the WBO 147 pound belt because apparently the fighters , particularly Cotto, wanted to save on the WBO sanction fees. At the same time boxing writer Michael Marley quoted Arum as saying "no one cares in the US about the belt." But after Gacal conveyed Pacquiao's demands to Arum, the Top Rank promoter told Gacal he was ready to make it a battle for Cotto's belt.

Gacal quoted Valcarcel as s aying "all or nothing" in reference to the fight, insisting that Cotto's title be on the line. Well known ring physician Dr. Allan Recto told us he had spoken to the WBO president Valcarcel who informed him that the sanction fee Pacquiao would have to pay amounts to $150,000 but gave no indication of how much the champion, Cotto, would be assessed.

Valcarcel also told Dr. Recto that Arum had told him before that "he was willing to pay the whole amount - for everybody. The WBO president said Pacquiao has "to write the WBO a letter of request. Then he talks to Bob Arum and Bob will inform me. Arum is willing to do it, you know. Now after that we can push Miguel Cotto to do it. We can both (Arum and Valcarcel) pressure Cotto to do it."

A victory over Cotto in a WBO world welterweight title fight will reinforce Pacquiao's incredible legacy and establish the certified Philippine hero and a hero of Asia as perhaps the greatest fighter of all-time with an incredible seven world titles.

smh.gif

Agreed. Very lame.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

lol... so now the belt is on the line? Lets make the limit 147 lbs then

God forbid they bring that up for a real 147 belt. I'm enjoying the regulars in here don't invite trouble
laugh.gif

Why would the belt be at stake if their not fight at the welterweight limit? Cotto should have never fell for this catchweight nonsense.

And like I said before there's a reason Kelly hasn't fought in a while his spirit is broken I wouldnt be suprised if Paul steamrolls him.

They could technically fight anywhere from 141 to 147, 147 is just the limit but I agree the catchweight is tomfoolery.

Kelly did beat Rubio, not anyone of significance but someone who he could build some confidence out of.

You're killing me Cheato.
Margarito still running with wrong crowd

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 | Print Entry

Your weekly random thoughts …

• If Antonio Margarito wants to get his boxing license back in the United States, he sure is going about it the wrong way. While I was watching Top Rank's "Latin Fury 10" pay-per-view Saturday night, I saw Javier Capetillo in the dressing room preparing junior flyweight titlist Giovani Segura, who would go on to successfully defend his belt in the co-feature. Capetillo, of course, is the disgraced trainer banned in the United States because he loaded Margarito's hand wraps with an illegal, plaster-like substance before a January fight with Shane Mosley in Los Angeles. The cheating was caught before the fight started and Margarito was forced to have his hands re-wrapped. Later, Margarito and Capetillo both had their licenses revoked in California for the egregious infraction.

Segura's fight took place in Mexico, where Capetillo is allowed to work because Mexican officials wrongly do not recognize license revocations in the U.S. I can't blame Capetillo for continuing to work where he is allowed. But what was really disconcerting was that Margarito was with Capetillo in Segura's dressing room. He was also with the trainer and boxer in the ring before and after the fight. Margarito hopes to reapply for a license when he is allowed to early next year, and will have to go before the California commission at that point for another hearing.

If Margarito truly didn't know that Capetillo had loaded his hand wraps, as he claims, wouldn't he be angry at Capetillo? Don't you think he'd be keeping his distance? Don't you think he would have dumped him by now for trying to cheat, causing his license to be revoked and severely damaging his career?

Instead, Margarito is still with Capetillo, making it even more difficult to believe his weak story that he didn't know what the trainer was doing. If I'm on the California commission and responsible for deciding whether Margarito gets his license back, the scene of him being so chummy with Capetillo certainly disappoints me, erodes any shred of credibility his story has and makes it difficult for me to vote in favor of relicensing him. By hanging around with Capetillo, Margarito is sending the wrong message to California regulators, as well as many of the folks who would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but find it almost impossible.

• Heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko isn't just sitting around lamenting the fact that David Haye ran from a Sept. 12 fight they had agreed upon. Instead, I'm told by some of the folks involved in the fight that Klitschko is close to a deal to meet Chris Arreola in an HBO fight on Sept. 26 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, the same arena where Klitschko had his classic slugfest with Lennox Lewis and later stopped Corrie Sanders to win a vacant title. I think Klitschko-Arreola is a far more interesting fight than Klitschko-Haye, because I think Arreola has a better chance of winning. I also think the bout could draw a huge crowd given that Arreola is a Mexican-American from Southern California and would be bidding to become the first fighter of Mexican heritage to win a heavyweight title.

• After Haye turned tail and ran from Wladimir Klitschko (June 20) and then Vitali (Sept. 12) to sign for a Nov. 7 fight against Nikolai Valuev, I received a lot of questions from the Fight Freaks during last week's chat asking whether HBO, which Haye blew off by backing out of both fights, would be interested in televising Valuev-Haye. So I asked HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg about it. His answer was short and sweet: "We have no interest in a Valuev versus Haye fight." I don't blame him one iota.

• So HBO isn't interested in Valuev-Haye. But I also hear HBO simply isn't interested in a rematch between cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek and mandatory challenger Steve Cunningham, who waged a tremendous battle in December in one of the best fights of 2008. I think HBO, which hasn't televised the fight of the year since 2004 (Marco Antonio Barrera-Erik Morales III), is missing the boat on this one, big time.

• You have to give a little credit to "Friday Night Fights" programmer Doug Loughery, who makes due with a miniscule budget for the ESPN2 series: The Aug. 28 season finale should send the show out with a bang this year. It features two title bouts that seem competitive: Juan Urango will defend his junior welterweight belt against Randall Bailey, and Tavoris Cloud will face Clinton Woods for a vacant light heavyweight title. There have been plenty of good fights on FNF over the years, but not cards with two title bouts that both appear interesting. It's easily the best card the series has had in years.

• Only 11 weeks until Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic starts. Let's hope that Mikkel Kessler and Andre Ward both make it through supposed tune-up fights in September so that the tournament isn't wrecked before it begins.

• Even when the abominable WBA does something that makes sense, it screws up. In this case, it finally stripped heavyweight Ruslan Chagaev of his ludicrous "champion in recess" title. After all, he was no longer in recess, having fought twice in six months (in February and June). There was also the little matter of Wladimir Klitschko beating the stuffing out of him in a brutally one-sided shellacking June 20, even though the silly "recess" title was not at stake. But just when you want to try to give the WBA a sliver of credit, you can't. The reason: The WBA made Chagaev its No. 1 contender, which is mind-blowing in its stupidity. Maybe I need to send a DVD of the Klitschko fight to the geniuses at the WBA offices. Those who run that circus need to view it again and see the joke of a No. 1 contender get absolutely laid to waste. If the WBA wanted to leave him in the top 10, fine. No. 1? Just another day in the WBA's bizarro world.

• And while I'm on the subject of the onerous WBA, how about this one: For no apparent reason, featherweight titleholder Chris John was promoted to "super champion," even though he hasn't unified a title, as is the WBA's rule for crowning a "super champion." It also promoted "interim champion" Yuriorkis Gamboa to "regular champion." Swine flu is more appealing than the WBA.

• Let's hope sanity prevails and Paul Williams and his team don't blow the fight with Kelly Pavlik because of their outrageous demands.

• I've been following junior welterweight Devon Alexander since he turned pro. I'm really looking forward to seeing if he can beat former titleholder Junior Witter in a Showtime fight Saturday night and win the vacant title. Since day one I've believed Alexander would win one someday, and I love his chances this weekend.

• I enjoyed the first installment of Golden Boy's "Fight Night Club" on Versus, and now it's back for the second of four scheduled monthly episodes from Club Nokia at L.A. Live on Thursday night (10 ET). The series is designed to bring boxing back to downtown Los Angeles while giving younger fighters a chance to make a big impression in evenly matched bouts. There are three fighters -- all of whom had solid amateur careers and are managed by Frank Espinoza -- to watch out for on this week's card: lightweight Luis Ramos Jr. (11-0, 6 KOs), lightweight Carlos Molina (7-0, 3 KOs) and featherweight Ronny Rios (5-0, 2 KOs). Golden Boy recently signed all three.

• Contrary to reports, there are no plans for cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek to move up to heavyweight to fight Polish countryman Andrew Golota, according to Adamek promoter Main Events. I have only two words: Thank goodness.

DVD pick of the week: Another week, another passing of a former champion. In this case, it was former welterweight and junior middleweight champ Vernon Forrest, who was murdered Saturday night in an apparent robbery attempt. Naturally, I was compelled to go into my archive for a Forrest fight, and I picked his first meeting with Mosley -- then the recognized welterweight champ and No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter. It was Jan. 26, 2002, at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York, where the former amateur rivals finally met as professionals. Forrest had upset Mosley in the Olympic trials to seal a spot on the 1992 team and had his number in the pros as well, beating him twice. But it is their first professional bout that stands out. Mosley had never been knocked down until Forrest floored him twice in the second round (following a nasty accidental headbutt that Mosley got the worst of). Forrest almost knocked him out again in the 10th round and cruised to the lopsided unanimous decision. The inspired performance was the high point of a career and life cut far too short by needless violence.

Back
Top Bottom