09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

PLEASE tell me somebody else saw what came on that justintv stream after the fight was stopped... lmao

nevermind... found an article

Roy Jones Jr. knocks out Lacy
August 15, 2009 · Filed Under Announcements, Newsfeeds · Comment

Associated Press

BILOXI, Miss. - Roy Jones Jr. toyed with the crowd and with Jeff Lacy, stopping Lacy after the 10th round Saturday night to retain the NABO light heavyweightchampionship title.

Jones (54-5, 39 KOs) used a left hook to cut Lacy's right eye in the third round, and both of Lacy's eyes were swelling by the seventh. Lacy didn'tanswer the bell for the 11th round and the referee stopped the bout.

Lacy's strategy for the faster Jones was apparent from the outset. Lacy tried to pin Jones on the ropes throughout the fight. Jones was unaffected by thetactic and seemed more worried about playing to the crowd than about Lacy's punches.

As Lacy tried to tussle with Jones in the corners, Jones told the crowd "Watch this" on several occasions. He followed with lightning fastcombinations that eventually took its toll on Lacy (25-3).

Roy
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

ESPN classic been promoting the hell out of the fight all last week. Thats the only reason I knew they were fighting.

Damn Dako posted like hell the last page. RJJ next fight gonna be in Australia, they better not try charging $49 for that too.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Damn Dako posted like hell the last page. RJJ next fight gonna be in Australia, they better not try charging $49 for that too.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I stopped posting during Nonito's fight because i lost my stream.

RJJ gonna fight Green in Australia right?

^

Yup.

IMO, fight Hopkins...call it a career. Or...just call it quits now.

Damn, i didnt even know Roy was fighting last night, the promoters did a terrible job with this
He was the promoter.
laugh.gif

My question...was Lacy really ever that talented or did Slappy Joe really put the fear of God in him.

If RJJ and Hopkins fight I give up on boxing, that should not happen. Let B-Hop fight Adamek, that's the fight everyone wants to see.

If RJJ and Hopkins fight I give up on boxing, that should not happen. Let B-Hop fight Adamek, that's the fight everyone wants to see.

Trust me, Dako...that's the fight I wanna see. But Hopkins is prob the only man, i'd rather see RJJ fight before hanging it up.

If and prob when he beats Green, something tells me that he's gonna end up fighting the Dawson/Johnson winner. Regardless of age and how much he'sfallen off, Roy is still a name...

Well here's the story:
Pavlik's staph infection postpones bout
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik's Oct. 3 title defense against Paul Williams was postponed Monday because Pavlik is dealing with a nagging staphinfection on the middle of his left hand, promoter Top Rank said.

A news conference in New York city to formally announce the fight was scheduled for Tuesday, but was called off Monday afternoon after a number of peopleinvolved in the fight had already arrived in New York, where they received the news.

The date for the much-anticipated fight -- which took weeks to finalize after a brutal negotiation -- to be rescheduled is up in the air, but the dates underconsideration are Nov. 21 and Dec. 5, Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN.com.

Top Rank and HBO both were OK with Nov. 21, as was host site Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.

However, Dan Goossen, who promotes Williams (37-1, 27 KOs), also promotes super middleweight contender Andre Ward. Goossen is promoting Ward's titleopportunity against Mikkel Kessler on the same night in one of the bouts that is part of HBO rival Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic.

"As you are aware, we've just learned of Pavlik's decision to cancel the press conference and thus the fight and we will evaluate where we go fromhere," Goossen told ESPN.com in an e-mail.

Goossen has yet to agree to Pavlik-Williams for Nov. 21, telling ESPN.com in a separate e-mail that if Pavlik was fighting Nov. 21, "I would be veryinterested in finding out who he's fighting."

Pavlik co-manager Cameron Dunkin, who flew to New York on Monday morning, was headed to Pavlik's hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, Monday afternoon to meetwith Pavlik and his team.

"His knuckle is infected," Dunkin told ESPN.com just before boarding his flight. "It's all infected. It's worse than it was. He has togo on an IV drip starting in the morning and do it for the next couple of weeks to get it cleaned out. It needs medical attention. He can't put a gloveon."

Dunkin said the issue has given Pavlik (35-1, 31 KOs) problems for the past "five or six months." He said Pavlik had stitches removed a few days agoand was due to see his doctor on Monday afternoon to be cleared before flying to New York for the news conference.

"Instead, he goes in there and it's worse," Dunkin said. "The kid missed three doctor's appointments and when he showed up it was worse.I'm going there to get this all straightened out, meet with [trainer] Jack [Loew], his father [co-manager Mike Pavlik] and to talk to the doctor. Thisshould have been healed a week ago."

Top Rank chief Bob Arum was on his way to the airport in Las Vegas when he got a call from Dunkin telling him the fight had to be postponed.

"According to the doctor, Kelly hasn't been making his appointments. So what do you want me to do," Arum said. "They tell me it will healand he'll be cleared in the next few weeks. It is what it is. What am I supposed to do? I have absolutely no emotion."

This isn't the first time Pavlik has had issues with the infection. In May, Top Rank said the infection was the reason a scheduled June 27 defense againstformer junior middleweight titlist Sergio Mora was canceled. Pavlik, who was in a contract dispute with Top Rank at the time, and his team dispute that theinfection was the reason.

Pavlik hasn't fought since a dominant ninth-round knockout of Marco Antonio Rubio in his second title defense on Feb. 21.

Williams, a former two-time welterweight titleholder, owns an interim junior middleweight belt, but fought at middleweight on April 11. He scored anear-shutout decision victory against former undisputed junior middleweight champion Winky Wright.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Back
Top Bottom