'09 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFF-SEASON THREAD-recruiting/Coaching Changes/Transfers

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

I don't think this talk will hurt us that much for this recruiting year.
It's hurting already. 2 of the top WR's in the state aren't looking at y'all anymore.
Gotta give it a few more years. I don't like to compare other spread offenses against ours simply because Urban is getting the creme of the crop, and the ideal fast twitch spread type wrs, to come play in his spread at Florida.
I would compare y'all spread to everyone else spread for the simple fact that none of y'all prepare WR's for the L. Regardless of thepre-existing talent.
Though, I've been telling Florida guys that Percy's first year in the L is going to be huge on our recruiting. It is all on him imo. Nobody believes me on this. But if he has a down year then we are in big trouble - the negative recruiting about the spread will have more impact and undeniable proof. #1 recruit in the nation, ideal spread wr, turning into an nfl bust will destroy us....
That's the thing though. Who really wants to be a spread WR? All these kids know that the spreadisn't ran in the L. They all WANT to be NFL receivers. They don't WANT to be spread WR's. They play in the spread b/c they know they can put upgood stats and get exposure. And for some of them, those are the only types of schools/teams that want them. But that doesn't mean they WANT to be SpreadWR's. Plus add in the fact that UF is killing right now and Urban is one of the best coaches in college. And some kids just LOVE Florida.
Though I think Percy will be great.
grin.gif

Me too.
nerd.gif

It's hurting already. 2 of the top WR's in the state aren't looking at y'all anymore.
Could care less about losing Johnson, and I think we still have a good chance with James Louis. We will get our fair share from Kadron Boone,Louis, Dunkley, Patton, McCay, C Green, D White - if we get less than 3 of these then I will say these spread labels hurt us this year.

I would compare y'all spread to everyone else spread for the simple fact that none of y'all prepare WR's for the L. Regardless of the pre-existing talent.
No top tier football program has implemented the spread. Florida is the first to do so. So it is tough to compare us with other spread school wrsand their history of nfl production. The athletes the Gators recruit and land are in a completely different talent level than the other schools which use thespread. So it will take a few years until we know how Florida's spread type wrs do in the L.

That's the thing though. Who really wants to be a spread WR? All these kids know that the spread isn't ran in the L. They all WANT to be NFL receivers. They don't WANT to be spread WR's. They play in the spread b/c they know they can put up good stats and get exposure.
I think the tag on wanting to be labeled a spread receiver is blown out of proportion. That's just negative recruiting. The spread label hasbecome much more discussed recently since, again, the Gators started using the spread. Where you are drafted and production in the L >> labels. Obviouslyit is more difficult for us to land wrs like Ruben Randle and Julio Jones who may not be as well suited for the spread. I won't say these guyscan't be successful in our offense until we land one and see where they get drafted. Carl Moore, though not very fast, may be our first trial.
And in recent years, you are seeing more of the 'spread' type wr be successful in the L. As more nfl teams (pats, dolphins) are starting to use more ofthe spread in their offense and draft players specifically to use for 'spread' plays....
... we should just start a new thread on the spread
grin.gif

which college is consistently putting out nfl receivers? is there a WR U like SC has become QB U? (nothing sarcastic just asking)

Someone help me out here...

I saw a little bit of Marve when he was at Miami, but is he really that good? He's leaning towards walking on at UT in 10, and I assume he's going tobe an upgrade over the patsies theyve got already.

Are the headaches mostly from his father, or he is a troublemaker too?

Originally Posted by raw120

which college is consistently putting out nfl receivers? is there a WR U like SC has become QB U? (nothing sarcastic just asking)
Miami USED to be

Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
Reggie Wayne.

They used to have the TE game on lock too.

Some Ole Miss fan is arguing with me on the ESPN SEC Blog telling me that you can compare McCluster & Purrrcyyy

May 13, 2009
TI Commentary: SEC's TV deal a big deal to ACC [h1]TI Commentary: SEC's TV deal a big deal to ACC[/h1]
Larry Williams
TigerIllustrated.com

Talk about it in The Tribal Council
Never miss breaking news on Clemson sports and recruiting.
wireless.gif
Sign-up for Tiger Illustrated Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

CLEMSON - A lot of topics were broached this week at the ACC spring meetings in Amelia Island, Fla.

Conference officials, athletics directors and coaches discussed ways to trim expenses during these perilous economic times.

[table][tr][td]
793814.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]AP[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]John Swofford, former athletics director at the University of North Carolina, has been the ACC commissioner since July of 1997.[/td] [/tr][/table]They talked about expanding conference schedules in men's basketball from 16 to 18 games.

They talked about an early signing date in football.

They talked about a lot of important things.

But by far the most monumental issue facing the ACC right now was a mere footnote at the meetings, if the media coverage of said meetings provides any indication.

Last August, the Southeastern Conference signed long-term television deals with ESPN and CBS for unfathomable amounts of money. The kind of money that will inflict large-scale and long-lasting repercussions for the ACC and other conferences.

Evidently, the ACC and its member schools aren't fretting much about this publicly. But rest assured that lots of folks - including folks here at Clemson - are privately bracing themselves for the seismic impact of this development.

The SEC's new contracts, which take effect this year, will bring $3 billion to the conference's coffers over a 15-year stretch.

Yes, billion.

That translates into about $205 million per year that'll be divvied up among the SEC's 12 schools.

Do the math, and each school could get $17 million per year from the SEC in TV money alone.

That's about $6 million more than the schools were raking in under the previous deal. And we all know they weren't exactly slumming it before last August's blockbuster agreements came along.

"You obviously have some concern about someone having more access to resources than you do," said Katie Hill, Clemson's senior associate athletics director in charge of finances.

Hill estimates Clemson gets $6.5 million per year from the ACC's broadcast contract.

Doesn't take much number-crunching to spot the vast chasm in revenue.

And it doesn't take much deduction to realize that the SEC, which has long enjoyed a status as the superpower of college sports, is on the verge of lapping the competition.

This is resoundingly important to Clemson because the Tigers, like Georgia Tech and Florida State, have an in-state SEC rival to deal with.

Clemson has wiped the Gamecocks off the floor in football, claiming 10 of the past 12 meetings. The same dominance has unfolded on the basketball court of late, with the Tigers on a five-game winning streak.

But you'd better believe the folks in the Jervey and McFadden buildings are wary of what could happen if the hated Gamecocks have that much more cash to play around with.

To put the SEC's numbers into perspective, Notre Dame gets $9 million annually from the deal that made NBC the Irish's official network.

So teams like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and, yes, South Carolina, are now going to be bringing in dough that makes Notre Dame's deal look like chump change.

The repercussions are evident already, even though the SEC's deal doesn't take effect until the coming football season.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
793821.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]AP[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Since 1992, the ACC has expanded to include Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College.[/td] [/tr][/table]Tennessee is shelling out the cash to football coach Lane Kiffin and his staff. Kiffin's assistants are making $3.25 million, including $1.2 million for defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Heck, the salary of defensive line coach Ed Orgeron ($650,000) isn't far behind that of Clemson's head coach ($800,000).

Don't think the coming windfall didn't play a role in Kentucky's willingness to commit $4 million a year to new basketball coach John Calipari.

And don't think it wasn't a factor in Georgia and Alabama throwing out some gaudy numbers -- $2 million, according to reports - in their searches to land big-name basketball coaches.

Remember John Chavis? He was Dabo Swinney's top candidate to replace defensive coordinator Vic Koenning, and Clemson was willing to pay him a salary ($400,000) that far eclipsed Koenning's deal ($260,000).

LSU's Les Miles swooped in and offered Chavis even more money.

How about facilities? Think SEC schools will be able to take this so-called arms race to another level with millions more rolling in?

The SEC's TV deal will have an impact on recruiting, too. When you can say that every single one of your conference games will be televised by CBS or one of ESPN's various platforms, it tends to leave an impression.

The ACC's seven-year, $258 million broadcast deal was signed in 2004 and is up after the 2010-11 season. Commissioner John Swofford has reportedly said negotiations will commence next spring, at the latest.

The SEC, which has claimed three consecutive BCS title games, has more leverage when it comes to these things.

As CBS executive Mike Aresco said in August after the deal was completed: "The SEC is the gold standard in college athletics."

The ACC, which was 1-9 in BCS games before Virginia Tech's Orange Bowl win over Cincinnati last season, desperately needs some bargaining power.

No one will be pulling harder than Swofford for the economy to turn around (The SEC, by the way, hit the jackpot by inking its deal before the worst of the economic plummet).

No one will be pulling harder for the ACC to follow through on its predicted resurgence on the gridiron. Some prognosticators have Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and North Carolina in the top 15 of their early polls.

But still…

You thought the SEC enjoyed an advantage already? This is akin to a 20-handicapper squaring off with Tiger Woods … and giving Woods strokes.

The ACC and other conferences need the round of their lives just to stay in this game.

Can't wait for the Deerfield Beach kids to get on campus. Shoelace and Witty will more than likely see the field as true frosh. Witty is a blazer and I amso happy people bailed on him when he got that ACL. Shoelace is just a damn good football player. Him at QB should be fun to watch. Kid seems to have a MAJORchip on his shoulder for the Florida schools slow playing him. Plus, the kids from The Muck are already making an impact. Turner is going to be a very goodplayer here. Rich Rod might have more of his players playing than the incumbents, which might be a good thing. I just pray for one thing: Good OL play.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by raw120

Miami USED to be

Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
Reggie Wayne.

They used to have the TE game on lock too.

Yep, but now all they've got is the dome game on lock.

dorseystretch.jpeg

In regards to the Spread, did anyone else see where Michael Crabtree was drafted? How about Percy Harvin? Also, I recall Steve Slaton having a pretty damn goodseason last year. Seems like the whole "spread is not gonna get you to the league or make you worse in the league" argument doesn't really holdtoo much weight.

Originally Posted by rawjs

In regards to the Spread, did anyone else see where Michael Crabtree was drafted? How about Percy Harvin? Also, I recall Steve Slaton having a pretty damn good season last year. Seems like the whole "spread is not gonna get you to the league or make you worse in the league" argument doesn't really hold too much weight.
Crabtree went lower than expected.

Percy is a top 5-10 talent in the draft and he fell to 20-21.

Slaton fell to the 3rd round.

So why did you even mention the draft?

No one said the spread made you WORSE. Just unprepared. Besides Kool-Aid and First-Aid, name all the spread backs that came in the L and did work.

Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich, the ACC's Defensive Player of the Year, revealed Thursday that he is battling cancer.

[h4]ACC blog[/h4]
dinich_heather_m.jpg

ESPN.com's Heather Dinich writes about all things ACC in her conference blog.

Blog network

Herzlich, a senior, was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, which is a tumor most often found in bone or soft tissue.

"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do," Herzlich said in a statement released by the school.

Herzlich has returned to his native Pennsylvania to be near his family and undergo tests to determine a course of treatment.

Herzlich was a finalist for the Butkus Award, given to the nation's top linebacker, last season. He led the Eagles with 110 tackles, six interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

"When people think of Mark Herzlich, they think of a fearless individual who is always ready to take on a tough opponent. His integrity, determination and focus are unmatched. I know he will face this challenge with that same attitude," BC coach Frank Spaziani said.

Herzlich said he was unsure what his illness meant for his football future.

"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on," he said. "Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."

frown.gif

wow had no idea, hope he gets better
dude is
eek.gif
a beast "110 tackles, six interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries."
tired.gif

Jose Jose is a OL signing. he will get a Look but the entire coaching staff Liked him best out of all unsigned OL. wow (thats high praise) . he will be anearly enrollee also so maybe he will be a 4 yr started candidate.

Back
Top Bottom