1/2 Cent Sole-Swap...pt. 1

Just want to say this was a labour of love and was definitely not easy! But, for those of you who have both and were even considering it, it is possible,albeit a lot of work!
Special thanks to MAYHEMGATZ for all the tips/support throughout the process.

So, how to do it? You'll need a few things:
1. heat gun (preferred) or strong hair dryer
2. acetone
3. nail file/butter knife
4. gloves (protection from heat) *optional

Start at the carbon fiber middle and apply heat until you can work your nail file in. Once you've started to loosen up, continue heating up towards thetoe area and slowly work the sole off. The adhesive will start to break down as you continue applying heat. As you lift more of the sole off, begin applyingacetone with Q-tip. This will help to weaken the adhesive more and make things a little easier as you go.

*WARNING*!!! Once you get to the heel area, THIS IS THE MOST DIFFICULT AREA TO WORK AROUND!!!. YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT APPLY TOO MUCH HEAT OR YOU WILL DAMAGETHE AIR BAG. You have to apply a little heat, then acetone and work slowly and methodically. Plus, because the heel area has a spongy layer underneath it,it'll be that much harder to peel off. Continue using your nail file until you're through.

Once you've removed all four soles, be sure to clean off the surfaces of the underpart of the shoe to ensure proper adhesion once you re-glue the solesback.

MAYHEMGATZ used ShoeGoo I believe and applied a thin layer to a section of the sole at a time in order to hold it in place. This will probably take time persole in order to ensure it holds well. You'll want to let it set for at least 48 hrs. before you start to wear them.

Anyways, I'll have the silvers up sometime next week:

Before:
379847234.jpg

During:
379847416.jpg
379847354.jpg

379847359.jpg
379847237.jpg

379847239.jpg

After:
379847343.jpg

379847243.jpg
379847349.jpg

379847718.jpg

IMOP, these would have flown out of the stores had Nike put a clear sole on the blacks.

peace

good work , might try these on my 1/2 cents, gonna scoop another black pair for cheap and see whats good

Thought about it but I like the royals just the way they are. No need to swap out perfection!

Silvers on the way!!
peace

Dope!

I can see cats on the street now scratching their heads saying "why do his look so different from my pair?......".

"THIS IS THE MOST DIFFICULT AREA TO WORK AROUND!!!. YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT APPLY TOO MUCH HEAT OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE AIR BAG"
did you mess up the silver pair?

they came out pretty good. I think after all these "sole-swapping" threads, Nike should just give us what we want (my grails), all black foam oneswith an icy sole.

IMO the blacks look better with the black translucent

And at $190, no sneaker is going to fly as a GR

Back
Top Bottom