1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed - Yahoo! News

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Hope everyone in college developed relationships that they can build upon after school. If not, at least search for internships and find ways to add to the resume while being underemployed.
Even these are not guaranteed methods for finding employment.

Also, name recognition still holds a good of value at least in the job market I'm in (I can only speak for DC area, one of the strongest markets in the nation). There are a lot of people here with degrees from well-known schools. A lot of employers will show more interest in big name universities than small schools.

Yesterday I visited Bain and Co, a management consulting firm I'm interested in, however I'm not getting my degree from one of the few schools they heavily recruit at. Anyways, I ran into a straight up consultant who works there in the elevator on the way out, he's like "I only know one person here who didn't go to one of our core schools, but he's a Pan Am Rower." If you didn't go to one of the schools they like, you have to be "top of your class" he said and have extracurriculars. Bain is a very prestigious place though, I think they are only interested in you if your a super child whose a student athlete with an amazing GPA, or if your not an athlete, you need some serious extracurriculars and work experience. He told me to get my MBA from one of the school's in my city that they recruit at, and try to apply after that. I haven't talked to the recruiting lady yet though, Imma do that soon. 
Yup, thats your only chance when it comes to management consulting. Good luck to you though, maybe you can be that 1 out of 100

Technology is changing the world. As long as money rules most people need to realize there isn't so much time for fun and games. Lots of competition and the jobs aren't coming back. The elites knew this stage in evolution would come and that's why they're going for all the marbles in this period of time.

I may have said this before, but I'll say it again, if you choose to go to college (even if you don't finish) pick a major or classes that teach you specific, employable skills.

I have to put this is in bold because it's a concept so many people can't grasp when they pick their major at 19, 20 years old.  All these mass. comm, english, poli sci., and history majors are out here unemployed and salty.  They have very few specific skills that make them a better candidate for a "real job" than somebody with a high school diploma.  Yeah you read a lot of books and yeah you had a 3.5 gpa, and yeah you wrote 20 page papers overnight, but what the #%+% can you actually DO that adds value to a business? Oh...nothing...exactly.

Meanwhile people who barely scraped by in the Engineering and IT related majors are getting jobs left and right.  Why? Because what they learned in school (even if it was very little) they can actually apply to something.

And this is coming from somebody who just graduated with a broad, pointless major (business management) and can't find a job. Now, I'm going back to school in the fall to learn IT Security and get my certificate.

But heed my warning young bucks, seriously.  Yeah I know people say you should major in what you "love", but there's nothing to love about being unemployed with Sallie Mae hawkin your #*% down.  College is not a vacation, it is a business decision. You should aim for the HIGHEST return on your (or your parents') investment as possible.

Peace.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

I may have said this before, but I'll say it again, if you choose to go to college (even if you don't finish) pick a major or classes that teach you specific, employable skills.

I have to put this is in bold because it's a concept so many people can't grasp when they pick their major at 19, 20 years old.  All these mass. comm, english, poli sci., and history majors are out here unemployed and salty.  They have very few specific skills that make them a better candidate for a "real job" than somebody with a high school diploma.  Yeah you read a lot of books and yeah had a 3.5 gpa, yeah you wrote a 20 page paper overnight, but what the !+#* can you actually DO that adds value to an employer? Oh...nothing...exactly.

Meanwhile people who barely scraped by in the Engineering and IT related majors are getting jobs left and right.  Why? Because what they learned in school they can actually apply to something.

And this is coming from somebody who just graduated with a broad, pointless major (business management) and can't find a job. Now, I'm going back to school in the fall to learn IT Security and get my certificate.

But heed my warning young bucks, seriously.  Yeah I know people say you should major in what you "love", but there's nothing to love about being unemployed with Sallie Mae hawkin your @#% down.  College is not a vacation, it is a business decision. You should aim for the HIGHEST return on your (or your parents) investment as possible.

Peace.
There is lots of truth to this.
My undergrad was Specialization in Economics; Minor in Political Science. My Masters was in Public and International Affairs (multidisciplinary program with three fields of study: 1) Public Policy, 2) International Afairs, and 3) Development Studies). I live in the capital city, and my career goal was to get into the government in the policy field. Well, JUST my luck, budget cuts and government is downsizing. Luge lay-offs and work adjustment. So, no luck for externals to get in. All my contracts have been experience in the federal government too. So, I am trying it out now in the private sector. 

Right now, Engineering, IT, Marketing, and even Business/Accounting, I always see job posts for in the private sector in this city. However, they demand specialized degrees, certifications, and sometimes years and years of experience. So F that, I am not going back to school for that. But, the health sector is a huge one to look out for as the article pointed. That is why I am trying my luck in the health policy field in the private sector. 

Good luck to all in your future endeavours!

Back
Top Bottom