10-15 years from now....Drake, top 10 DOA?

Originally Posted by jc619er

Which SFG are we talking about, the mixtape or the EP. Because in my eyes a mixtape or EP cannot be considered a classic. TML is a really good album and serves as something that can hopefully take him to the next level but that has to be proven. Documentary was a really good album and we have now seen where Game's career has gone four albums later, still no classic. So time is definitely going to tell with Drake. And Nas, Biggie and Snoop all put out bonafied classics with their repsective full length debuts, not mixtapes or EPs. 

Strongly disagree with the bolded statement, especially in today's climate.

Nowadays mixtapes are arguably more important than official releases. Where would Jeezy be without Streets is Watching and more importantly Trap or Die? Wiz? Currensy? Drake? Wayne? Fab? Mixtapes made most current acts careers.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

Originally Posted by jc619er

Which SFG are we talking about, the mixtape or the EP. Because in my eyes a mixtape or EP cannot be considered a classic. TML is a really good album and serves as something that can hopefully take him to the next level but that has to be proven. Documentary was a really good album and we have now seen where Game's career has gone four albums later, still no classic. So time is definitely going to tell with Drake. And Nas, Biggie and Snoop all put out bonafied classics with their repsective full length debuts, not mixtapes or EPs. 

Strongly disagree with the bolded statement, especially in today's climate.

Nowadays mixtapes are arguably more important than official releases. Where would Jeezy be without Streets is Watching and more importantly Trap or Die? Wiz? Currensy? Drake? Wayne? Fab? Mixtapes made most current acts careers.
Mixtapes are nothing but the new demo tape and that's what gets people on, I 100% agree with that. It can no doubt start careers. But to say that it's something that qualifies as a debut or even classic for that matter, no way. It's like saying this day in age there's such thing as a remix. The last true remix I heard was the "Moon and the Sky" remix. The beat was completely different and they added another artist to it. Just solely adding more rappers to an already popular song does not make it a remix. And putting yourself out trying to get a deal is not an album. Because last I checked J. Cole still don't have an album but has about a million songs.

EPs can and have been classic.

Mixtapes on the other hand...no. They can be classic mixtapes that define a period (i.e the summer Drought 3 came out). Put it like this Drought 3 is a classic mixtape but no one is gonna bang his Upgrade You remix 10 years from now. I just don't think you can have classics over other people's beats

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Oh yea it sells no doubt, I was just talking about how the singles catch on, and the rate they are played and stuff. DJ Khaled is actually
notorious for constantly spinning songs on the radio that may not have naturally caught on otherwise. You play something enough, whether
good or bad, people will eventually like it (for the most part).

Well again, "good" or "bad is subjective and people as a whole are gonna play a good part in deciding what song is hot at the time. Most artists can't simply play music into the ground for radio play, unless they got the funds for it.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

How the hell would we know? There's alot of things that could happen within 15 years from now OP.

C'mon , you know better...

Truth.

Only thing I unequivocally know: you're going to be here to bump this thread 10 and 15 years from now.

roll.gif
 Ether'd 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by red mpls

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING.  PERIOD.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.
Came in to post this, but it was already said. This thread is laughable...

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

EPs can and have been classic.

Mixtapes on the other hand...no. They can be classic mixtapes that define a period (i.e the summer Drought 3 came out). Put it like this Drought 3 is a classic mixtape but no one is gonna bang his Upgrade You remix 10 years from now. I just don't think you can have classics over other people's beats
speak for yourself bro thats my $%%!. as far as this topic goes drakes corniness automatically disqualifies him 

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

roll.gif

I mean, do you guys understand all of the MCs Drake would have to "surpass" that don't even generally get mentioned on people's Top 10 lists?  Artists like Redman, Common, Black Thought, LL Cool J, Q-Tip, Ghostface, Andre 3000, DMX, Snoop, Big L, Jadakiss, Eightball, Fabolous, Big Pun, Missy Elliott, Ludacris, Cam'Ron, Bun B, Guru, Raekwon, AZ, Kurupt, Cee-Lo, Beanie Sigel, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DJ Quik, GZA, Juvenile, Lil' Fame, Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, etc.

Not to mention he'll have to beat out his contemporaries, including Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, The Game, TI, Pusha-T, and Jeezy, all of whom I would take over Drake right now and three of whom will almost certainly end up "ranked" higher than Drake when all is said and done.

Finally, he would have to knock someone who's a "regular" in Top 10 lists out of their position.  MCs like BIG, Tupac, Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-One, Kane, G Rap, Slick Rick, Eminem, Ice Cube, Chuck D, Scarface, etc.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and all but Drake will NEVER be generally considered a Top 10 DOA rapper.  Ever.
I'm about to set a bombshell with this, and this is coming from someone with a well versed music library...
He's better than A LOT of those dudes you mentioned already. He just hasn't been in the game for nearly as long and doesn't have the album count and accolades that these people have..
This.

Name another Rapper/Artist who's had THIS much buzz and was even CONSIDERED by ANYONE top 10-20 off their FIRST LP......Besides maybe Em'

He has ONLY ONE bar coded album under his belt...and we're debating about this...
Problem is that most of us who have listened to Hip Hop for years don't even think it's debatable. We think it's laughable...
And to whoever said that Drake is the best R&B artist out right now...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I didnt realize that Maxwell stopped making music.

You guys are comparing MCs to Rappers to Singers to Lyricists...gets no where.

He is a great artist...simply said and he makes good songs in my opinion. 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

How the hell would we know? There's alot of things that could happen within 15 years from now OP.

C'mon , you know better...

Truth.

Only thing I unequivocally know: you're going to be here to bump this thread 10 and 15 years from now.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

laugh.gif
at dudes acting like they NEVER could relate to "Marvins room"....

Be real with yourself fam....Seriously

I bet you could relate more to "Marvins room" than "N's in Paris"
Applaud this man.

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

You guys are comparing MCs to Rappers to Singers to Lyricists...gets no where.

He is a great artist...simply said and he makes good songs in my opinion. 

this.
missed most this convo...but its no way it can legitimately pan out that Drake makes it if u ask me. His star appeal well prolly have him bow out early anyway and move on to movies.

He's hot he is that guy right now and he can rap better than Nelly and 50 but at the same time, there will become a point when his sound is old.

Its only a select few that have longevity and consistenty in this game and they are gonna remain at the top. The others will fall in based on how long they held it down, skill level and other intangibles. Tall order for Drake if u ask me.

Not wasting time reading this foolishness.
The answer is no.

Dude has been pigeonholed into the guilty pleasure/novelty act at this young point in his career and he thats what he'll always be remembered as.

Drake is by far the artist who's music I check for most now days. With that said, it is entirely too relevant to give him the crown to anything till he proves himself more.

I def. think its possible for him. He's the best overrall artist in hip hop after Ye. He can hop on any song and make it dope. To me He gotta get back to makin songs like Scriptures and 9am In Dallas cause that Marvins Room and Dream Money Can Buy sound is gettin repetitive as hell. Time will tell.  

SFG is a classic to. Dont give a ##%% what nobody say.

Wow people are really set in their ways......if Drake continues the way he is going for 10 to 15 years with no slow down.....then yes he will be top 10.....hell in 5 years if he keeps going, there will be some new upstart that will be directly influenced by him, whether for better or worse

Top 10 of what tho?
Rap? Hell no, son's rapping has been average at best lately (Comeback Season was nice tho)

R&B? Hell to the F no, his singing is weak as hell.

What ya'll fail to realize is Drake is a slightly above average rapper and below average singer, that's laced with hot beats and is backed by Baby/Wayne. Talent wise he's nothing special

Sometimes it really upsets me i'm apart of this easily fooled generation.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Top 10 of what tho?
Rap? Hell no, son's rapping has been average at best lately (Comeback Season was nice tho)

R&B? Hell to the F no, his singing is weak as hell.

What ya'll fail to realize is Drake is a slightly above average rapper and below average singer, that's laced with hot beats and is backed by Baby/Wayne. Talent wise he's nothing special

Sometimes it really upsets me i'm apart of this easily fooled generation.

Hmmm.

alonzo mourning gif

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

roll.gif

I wouldn even call it laughable....just embarrassing.
lol at ANYONE co-signing this BS.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Mediocre rapper, mediocre singer. Meaningful content? I guess if viewed next to rappers who only rap about money, cars, and girls, which he does too, then yeah, his content is more 'meaningful'. He talks about his feelings
eek.gif
so revolutionary.

Originally Posted by ThaTruth89

Originally Posted by boricuachulo321

roll.gif

I wouldn even call it laughable....just embarrassing.
lol at ANYONE co-signing this BS.

OP, do you honestly think he'll be widely considered "greater" than 41 or more of the MCs listed above (not to mention any others I omitted)?  And if so, how do you see that happening?  Because that's what all of this really boils down to.  Serious questions.

Back
Top Bottom