10 Most overrated kicks of 2013

[h3]10. Air Jordan 5 “Fire Red”[/h3]
overrated-kicks-1.jpg
The Air Jordan Fire Red 5 was a great release but had never been seen by some of our younger sneakerheads and therefore they took the hype of the OG colorway to a whole new level. The Fire Reds were definitely a highly anticipated shoe and made many sneakerheads go crazy but us older heads  have seen these before so they are nothing new. Glad to see them come back, but for my enthusiasts that are new to the game don’t make a shoe your grail if it is a re-release.

[h3]9. Nike Basketball Black History Month Collection[/h3]
overrated-kicks-2.jpg

thehoopdoctors

The Black History Month big 3 including the Lebron 10, KD 5 and Kobe 8. Yes, the shoes and their design had a great meaning behind them as Black History Month editions, however, the sneaker world was more impressed with the color combination and print than their actual purpose. If everyone wanted the shoes for their significance they wouldn’t be as overrated but, because almost everyone overlooked the name for the hot design.

[h3]8. Air Jordan  3 Retro ’88[/h3]
overrated-kicks-3.jpg

The Retro 88s took the customer back in time and allowed the sneaker world to experience that iconic “Nike Air” on the heel. Not to say that it wasn’t a shoe to be excited about, but Jordan Brand did not have to do anything but add “Nike Air” (and a few extra dollars to that price tag) to take the shoe from hot to fire in many sneakerheads’ opinions. We really didn’t need this in our collection, it was just to let hypebeats get a taste of owning an OG pair of shoes.

[h3]7. Nike Air Foamposite One “Fighter Jet”[/h3]
overrated-kicks-4.jpg

kickfiends

The Fighter Jet version of the Foamposite One was Nike’s first stab at expanding the ever growing camo phase. It was a success for some disaster for others as there were mixed feelings around the sneaker world about them. However, one thing was for sure hypebeasts let you know that they were going to cop them. Every comment on Instagram and Twitter was “Can’t wait to add these to the collection” or “FIRE!!!” The truth is they weren’t bad shoes at all but everyone making them seem like they were the best thing to happen to Foamposites got played out quick.
[h3]6. Nike Lebron 10 “Cork”
Nike-LeBron-X-Cork11.jpeg
[/h3]
The Cork Lebron 10 bought some crazy attention to Nike as they had everyone asking if these shoes really sported an all-cork upper. It was a unique approach and I think we should all give Nike the thumbs up for the effort put into these (and the other EXT models) but pre-release you could already tell the resale prices were going to be more outrageous than Lebron’s hairline. Sneaker enthusiasts had made the Cork’s more important than even a Yeezy release.

[h3]5. Nike Lebron 11 “Away”
Ho13_BB_LeBron11_616175_001_lat_-630x412.jpg
[/h3]
I honestly didn’t think that any shoe line other than Jordan would make this list more than once. However, Lebron has earned a spot on the overrated sneak list this year not once, but twice. The Black/Red Lebron 11 was the first Lebron to drop and man, oh man were these over hyped. We knew what they would look like, saw him wear them and had a detailed idea of the shoe already but when they came out, we saw babies with them on, being pushed in strollers by a mom with Black/Red Lebrons and dad rocking a pair next to them. Why? Because it’s Lebron. His fame has taken astronomical heights in the past 2 years and his followers will submit to him and anything he does. It’s wild, because there were so many better releases to follow the Black/Red colorway but because it was the first everyone made this shoe highly overrated.

[h3]4. Nike KD 6 “Seat Pleasant”[/h3]
overrated-kicks-7-630x421.jpg

The Seat Pleasant colorway of the KD 6 was hot. This release took sneakerheads to a place many have never gone and won’t ever go. A little city in Prince George’s County Maryland called Seat Pleasant. Not bashing Durant for his hometown pride. (I live 15 minutes from Seat Pleasant) but I can definitely attest that the Seat Pleasant KD 6 was made a huge release for its isolation. The Seat Pleasant was released on a Wednesday, and in some places quickly scooped off of shelves while others waited for the Hazelnut Lebron X’s that released that coming Saturday. The shoe was blown out of proportion upon it’s release with crazy high resale prices that had dropped in the next week or two.

[h3]3. Nike Air Max 95 “Doernbecher”[/h3]
overrated-kicks-8.jpg

The Doernbecher Air Max 95 was one of the silhouettes dropped by Nike inspired by patients in the Oregon hospital. However, just as my take on the Black History Month versions of the Nike Basketball franchise I believe the message was overlooked by the design. The public saw a cool colorway of the Nike Air Max 95 while, in reality this was the expression of the creativity of a child that had an ailment taking away their ability to enjoy their adolescent years. There is nothing wrong with appreciating the design but pay homage to the message behind the shoe too.

[h3]2. Air Jordan 4 “Toro Bravo”[/h3]
overrated-kicks-9-630x420.jpg

The Toro Bravo release was like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert. The shoes were definitely a different look; the all-red nubuck upper was beautiful on the shoe. However, the release being the same day as Sneakercon NY led to a wild outcome. People were selling their pairs of Toro Bravo’s for double and almost triple retail at Sneakercon, and the sneaker thirst was too real, as others didn’t mind paying those prices. Many people got away with it that day to see the resale value drop right after they got them. This being the first we have seen of this colorway mixed with the fact that this seemed like a hybrid of a Air Jordan 5 colorway on a pair of 4′s gave a brand new meaning to the word “hype.”
[h3]1. Air Jordan 11 “Gamma Blue”
air-jordan-11-gamma-blue-official-images-00.jpg
[/h3]
I know I am going to get chewed out on Twitter for this but the Gamma Blue 11′s were overrated. The shoe was never worn on court by Michael Jordan, has no story behind it as many Jordan’s do but was influenced by the random popularity of the Gamma Blue colorway. Sneaker heads left work and school early to line up for the shoe almost 24 hours early. I hadn’t seen camping so real since, well the Yeezy’s. Nobody trusted getting them online everyone started hitting their sneaker connect up in October.

I clearly don't agree with #10 & #2 being overrated

Corks overrated? Overhyped yes...overrated? Nah...those are fire.

Dont agree with Seat Pleasants being overrated either. I dont even think they had a huge buzz.

Corks overrated? Overhyped yes...overrated? Nah...those are fire.

Dont agree with Seat Pleasants being overrated either. I dont even think they had a huge buzz.
Agreed. The Seat Pleasants sat for a long time. I thought the colorway was nice too. I don't know how any OG colorways can be overrated. The Toro 4 was one of the better retro plus colorway to me.

I think the list was poorly assembled and written. Someone should've re read prior to posting.

The Fear Pack, Green Glow 4 should have made the list.

Last edited:
:lol: @ fire red 5's and white cement 3's being over rated

i can tell who ever made that list only started buying retros recently :smh:

Why these Gamma's keep popping up .....

they are instant classic - they instantly sold out!

Just saying!

I think the Gammas with the sole being a smokey black would have been better.

They would of have been the never were's ... lmao

Last edited:
Dude said don't make a re-release your grail. TF does that even mean? I hate when dudes rack up a few years in "the game" and suddenly believe their word is the gospel when it comes to shoes.

Last edited:

Why these Gamma's keep popping up .....

they are instant classic - they instantly sold out!

Just saying!

I think the Gammas with the sole being a smokey black would have been better.

They would of have been the never were's ... lmao
Gamma 11's are super overrated IMO.

Anything with the 11 silhouette tends to be either extra overrated or VERY lackluster. No middle ground at all with that model.

This list SUCKS. How are OG colorway 5's and 3's overrated...

If you ask me, the two most overrated shoes this year are the Gamma's (they got that right) and the NB 1600 RF Daytona's. Hell, even the Sneaker Freaker Shark Bait Puma's that straight up bit Foot Patrol's Le Coq Sportiff Macaron are super overrated. 

Edit - Lebron's entire 11 line is way overrated IMO. Hands down his worst sig shoe.

Last edited:

This list SUCKS. How are OG colorway 5's and 3's overrated...

If you ask me, the two most overrated shoes this year are the Gamma's (they got that right) and the NB 1600 RF Daytona's. Hell, even the Sneaker Freaker Shark Bait Puma's that straight up bit Foot Patrol's Le Coq Sportiff Macaron are super overrated. 

Edit - Lebron's entire 11 line is way overrated IMO. Hands down his worst sig shoe.
I can see how the 3's are overrated. They got the retro treatment like 3 times the past 3-4 years. Add the Nike Air and people went bananas on a pair they probably had a couples of anyway, JUST cause of that heel tab.

RF's are always dope, the colors of their shoe compliment the other colors really well IMO.

10's were probably more overrated than the 11's. A lot of people still feel mixed about the 11 model in general. Kings Pride were hyped but I think they lived up to the hype well. 

I dont know how Roshe's didnt end up on this list.

The list is trash.
It bashes the OG 3 and 5 colorways(that were worn on the court by MJ)
and then turns around and bashes the gamma for NOT being an OG colorway that was worn by MJ.

Plus I was lookin at my Gammas today, and IDGAF, IDGAF,IDGAF,IDGAF,IDGAF, the Gammas are fire.
Its a beautiful shoe that will be durable for years to come. Plus no yellowing (i hope anyway)

person who wrote this was wearing the weatherman foams 
sick.gif

I'm not into jordans but aside the gammas every JB release this year was decent IMO.

I can see how the 3's are overrated. They got the retro treatment like 3 times the past 3-4 years. Add the Nike Air and people went bananas on a pair they probably had a couples of anyway, JUST cause of that heel tab.

RF's are always dope, the colors of their shoe compliment the other colors really well IMO.

10's were probably more overrated than the 11's. A lot of people still feel mixed about the 11 model in general. Kings Pride were hyped but I think they lived up to the hype well. 

I dont know how Roshe's didnt end up on this list.
1. Valid. I'd still say 3's can't really be overrated. 

2. Wrong. Most RF's are dope as F, but he still fails on occasion, and those 1600's were one of those occasions. 

3. Personally 10's are way more aesthetically appealing than 11's, and according to reports, LBJ feels they were better on the court as well. 

4. True. Roshe's are buns. 

Back
Top Bottom