100 year old man runs MARATHON!!! vol. what's your excuse?

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/100-year-old-man-completes-marathon.html

Fauja_Singh_marathon_AP111016041654_620x350.jpg

This past weekend, 100-year old Fauja Singh completed the Toronto Marathon and ran into the record books in the process. Singh, who didn't take up running until he was 89, is the oldest person to officially complete a marathon, which is 26.2 mile (42.1 km) in length.

Singh wasn't exactly setting any speed records, but then again, that's not what this story is all about. It took him about 8 hours, 25 minutes to cover the course, which brought him in dead last, but accomplished his goal of finishing in under nine hours. Event organizers were picking up barricades and banners even as he approached the finish line.

This was Singh's 8th marathon and he doesn't seem ready to quit yet. He hopes to be a part of the Olympic torch relay for the 2012 London Games next year as well.

Pretty inspiring stuff. I hope I'm still running when I hit a century old. Fauja shoots a lot of holes in the excuse that "I'm too old" to start running/exercising. You're never too old to get outside and hit the road.
-----------------------

eek.gif
no more excuses.....

He looks so cool.

I'm telling you, they say the first person that will make it to 150 years old is alive today.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

I hate running. That's my excuse.
me too but i was out working the NYC marathon this weekend and I was inspired. maybe if i coud take up donations for a cause, then I could do it. I do like tittys so maybe Breast Cancer awareness.

More power to him. I have no desire to run marathons. Maybe I will when I'm 100 and just have to kill because it hasn't killed me.

i did track for a year after that really got lazy since i graduated from high school
thats my excuse

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

He looks so cool.

I'm telling you, they say the first person that will make it to 150 years old is alive today.

laugh.gif
 HE does look pretty cool tho..

but 150 thats crazy, don't know if i can believe that..

Trying to train for a marathon, looking to run one next year, though haven't really been running due to an injury, it's healed now though now it's just me being lazy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

He looks so cool.

laugh.gif

he lying their no such thing as an 150 years old man on earth

Originally Posted by FourReal

He looks so cool.

laugh.gif

What he means is someone who is alive now will live to 150 years old. There is some 7o year old doing big things that'll live to see 2100. I swear on it too. i'll be glad to live 10 years beyond retirement. Knowing the way things are now, it'll be when i'm 90. smh

Originally Posted by FourReal

He looks so cool.

laugh.gif

lol at yall. he not sayin that. hes sayin (for instance) that a 25 year old right now will /can possibly live to the age of 150

i want to do a marathon but i dont even know how to start training so i havent done any training at all
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i want to do a marathon but i dont even know how to start training so i havent done any training at all
laugh.gif

>doesn't go running at a local park
>doesn't join a gym and hit them treadmills 

>doesn't look up how to start a routine to get in shape for a marathon

yooooo, c'mon. Just go online yo
laugh.gif

also, pics of you... in running gear
devil.gif
nerd.gif

FYI Guinness didn't recognized this feat due to lack of a birth certificate: http://www.thestar.com/ne...old-marathon-runner?bn=1
A damn shame, still quite an accomplishment though. A friend who ran the half-marathon that day met him in line too.

As far myself, I'll start training for my second marathon this Jan (first was back in 2009, 3:42:47). Gonna seriously try to qualify for Boston this time around.

Back
Top Bottom