12 month long drop in world temp. wipes out a century of warming

Twelve-month long drop in world temperatures wipes out a century of warming

Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on.
No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe out nearly all the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.

Scientists quoted in a past DailyTech articlelink the cooling to reduced solar activity which they claim is a much larger driver of climate change than man-made greenhouse gases. The dramatic cooling seen in just 12 months time seems to bear that out. While the data doesn't itself disprove that carbon dioxide is acting to warm the planet, it does demonstrate clearly that more powerful factors are now cooling it.

Let's hope those factors stop fast. Cold is more damaging than heat. The mean temperature of the planet is about 54 degrees. Humans -- and most of the crops and animals we depend on -- prefer a temperature closer to 70.

Historically, the warm periods such as the Medieval Climate Optimum were beneficial for civilization. Corresponding cooling events such as the Little Ice Age, though, were uniformly bad news.

LOL, I'm sure this wont change some peoples "faith" in global warming.

It seems like we learn every year that things we thought are facts were just conjecture and theory.

is this a good or a bad thing? i mean, clearly in the long run if it keeps getting colder we are gonna have some problems. As it stands now, does this hurtor help the planet?

i wish it got colder in frickin california....
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Looks like planet earth has taken a major L..It has to step its planet game up..
You're speaking the truth bro! Planet Earth's a bust..

I'm not 100% sold on "global warming" in the simplified sense, but I definitely think we are throwing its climate out of wack. Maybe"temperature fluctuations" are a more accurate depiction of what's to come rather than "global warming" in the sense that they willcontinually climb.

Even if it's not even true, as many believe, and it has no effect on the worldwide climate, I think for pollution's sake the "green" movementis a huge deal.

I think the planet is so messed up that extremities for both cooling and warming are happening.

The planet is always in flux. THe problem when it comes to discussing this stuff is that so many people today like to focus on trends favoring one side. Youcould find trends that support both arguments, which, in the end prove that earth's climate is always fluctuating and humans have little to do with it.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

i wish it got colder in frickin california....
ohwell.gif
Thats what makes cali CALI. u feel? the good %@@ weather. I would rather be wearing shorts and tank tops than big ol jackets and sweats all thetime.
pimp.gif

That's not how it works, and you have referenced an oft debunked opinion article based on quack science.

maybe its colder other places but down here in the south we havent even had a winter.I could count how many times i had to put on a hoody or a jacket

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

That's not how it works, and you have referenced an oft debunked opinion article based on quack science.

Talk about quack science.

Taking less than 100 years (in most cases 50 years when it comes to detailed worldwide data) of climate data and extrapolating a theory of apocalypticproportions on a planet that is billions of years old sounds more quack to me.

Fact of the matter is you'd need data for tens of thousands of years in order to come to a hypothesis regarding climate change and what factors play asignificant role. Not a year or 50 years.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

Taking less than 100 years (in most cases 50 years when it comes to detailed worldwide data) of climate data and extrapolating a theory of apocalyptic proportions on a planet that is billions of years old sounds more quack to me.

Fact of the matter is you'd need data for tens of thousands of years in order to come to a hypothesis regarding climate change and what factors play a significant role. Not a year or 50 years.
Scientists have an accurate measurement of global temperatures in relation to atmospheric conditions dating back hundreds of thousands of years.Through ice-core sampling in the Antarctic and reconstruction of primordial protiens we can accurately guage temperature and climate change spanning nearly theEarth's entire climate history.
IceCores1.gif
It does not matterhow sophisticated and elucidating modern science is getting... people still defer to either religious/political/cultural sources and consciously reject thefindings of the scientific community in regards to climate change.

At least you're in good company with the other members of society who blithely cling to non-scientific conclusions about our planet in the Flat EarthSociety.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

KingLouisXIV wrote:

Taking less than 100 years (in most cases 50 years when it comes to detailed worldwide data) of climate data and extrapolating a theory of apocalyptic
proportions on a planet that is billions of years old sounds more quack to me.

Fact of the matter is you'd need data for tens of thousands of years in order to come to a hypothesis regarding climate change and what factors play a
significant role. Not a year or 50 years.

any reputable study/source looks at way more than that so i don't know what you're talking about with that. looking at ancient trees alonegives you insight into thousands of years of climate. also ice sheets like KLXIV said

i cannot believe the whole rest of the world has moved on to creating new technologies to fight human-induced climate change yet we americans are stilldebating whether it even exists
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom