12 Years A Slave (Film) - Starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor - 10/18/13

Who's going to support it?

For obvious reasons it wont get made. ANd for Financial reasons nobody would touch it. You dont create product only 17% of the population would be interested in.

That Tuskegee airman movie took forever to get backed thats with George Lucas begging for money. Then guess what? it flopped.

Its not the 90s anymore movies arent making money so we're not going to get as many black niche films anymore.

But when we do. ****** need to support.

Malcolm X got made and flopped but still was recognized as one of the great films that year.

The problem isnt Hollywood its the population. Hollywood is about making money. What hollywood puts out is a reflection of the population.

not true...

one, I think that Tuskegeen airmen movie flopped cuz a) it's already been like TWO OR THREE Tuskegee airmen movie and b) it wasn't that good. Just cuz it's a movie with "us" in it don't make it good by default.

Back in the early "classic" Hollywood era they made a movie about Shaka Zulu---I've never seen it, but they made it. Title is "Zulu." If they did it then when we could barely even sit in movie theaters why not now?? Danny Glover been tryna get a Toussaint movie made since the beginning of time :smh: Doubt that will ever see the light of day.

And yea, that White Savior Complex is kinda played--you can spot it a mile away nowadays. Tell me this when have you EVER seen a movie in which the roles were reversed??? I'm actually curious and would b interested to watch. I'm an avid movie watcher and I've never even heard of such a thing.

Red tails was horrible btw. The acting and accents were so hard to watch. Still wanted it to be good. Hollywood actually didn't want that to be made smh

not true...

one, I think that Tuskegeen airmen movie flopped cuz a) it's already been like TWO OR THREE Tuskegee airmen movie and b) it wasn't that good. Just cuz it's a movie with "us" in it don't make it good by default.

Back in the early "classic" Hollywood era they made a movie about Shaka Zulu---I've never seen it, but they made it. Title is "Zulu." If they did it then when we could barely even sit in movie theaters why not now?? Danny Glover been tryna get a Toussaint movie made since the beginning of time :smh: Doubt that will ever see the light of day.

And yea, that White Savior Complex is kinda played--you can spot it a mile away nowadays. Tell me this when have you EVER seen a movie in which the roles were reversed??? I'm actually curious and would b interested to watch. I'm an avid movie watcher and I've never even heard of such a thing.

The Shaka Zulu movie was a Mini Series like Roots and it was dope.

[COLOR=#red]Steve McQueen accuses film industry of ignoring slavery[/COLOR]
Oscar-tipped 12 Years a Slave director highlights lack of movies about slavery – compared with films on other historical events

View media item 725480'We have to redress that balance and look at that time in history' … Steve McQueen.

Steve McQueen, the British director of Oscar-tipped drama 12 Years a Slave, has criticised Hollywood for a historical paucity of movies on slavery. McQueen, the Turner prize winner turned film-maker, said the industry did not want to tackle the subject.

"The second world war lasted five years and there are hundreds and hundreds of films about the second world war and the Holocaust," he told Sky News. "Slavery lasted 400 years and there are less than 20 [films]. We have to redress that balance and look at that time in history."

McQueen's film stars Britain's Chiwetel Ejiofor as the historical figure Solomon Northup, a New Yorker sold into slavery on the plantations of Louisiana in 1841 after being kidnapped in Washington DC. The film, which also stars Michael Fassbender as a sadistic plantation owner – as well as Brad Pitt, who is also the producer, in a minor role as an abolitionist – is leading the charge for next month's Golden Globes (alongside David O Russell's American Hustle) with seven nominations. It has also been rewarded by a number of other critics' bodies ahead of the Oscars, and is considered a frontrunner for the ceremony at the Dolby theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday 2 March.

The violence depicted in the film has been too much for some cinemagoers, however, prompting them to walk out of screenings. Ejiofor told Sky News: "There were things in the book that we really couldn't translate on to screen, because we couldn't do it in all conscience – you couldn't put people through some of those things.

"If we tried to do a literal interpretation of the book it would, in my opinion, be too much for an audience. But at the same time, to try and avoid the kind of violence that happened at that time would do an incredible disservice to Solomon Northup and the millions of people who went through this experience."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/03/steve-mcqueen-slavery-12-years-a-slave

You mean cultural and institutionalized racism is perpetuating privilege and conceit for certain populations, at the expense of other populations? Noooooooooo!!!...:lol:

Still though, every voice/messenger is essential, so shouts out to him for saying what needs to be said.

Last edited:
Damn. Saw this movie last month and just now finding out Steve McQueen is black
I thought it was that white dude from that movie bullet with the mustang
Smh@me

[COLOR=#red]Saw it for the second time when I was in Europe last week :pimp: .. Aside from wanting to cry, this movie makes me angry :smh:

Anyway, Deuteronomy 28 :wink:[/COLOR]

Last edited:
^^^an appreciation post masking a humble braggerton post...:lol:

"Don't you come in here tellin' us all about yo' fancy European trips. We won't stand for that in Broke Phi Broke, 'cause we aint got it..."

:lol:

I honestly don't see what is so different about this movie than any other movie telling the slavery narrative. It was good but it wasn't anything different than I've known or seen in any other movie. 

I honestly don't see what is so different about this movie than any other movie telling the slavery narrative. It was good but it wasn't anything different than I've known or seen in any other movie. 

Most other movies fail to show how poor whites and plantation class land holding white males as different caste.

They make it seem as if all whites where in on it when that is far from the truth.

Most don't explore the kidnapping and fraudulent business nature of slavery. ( Kidnapping as a means of sustaining the slave economy after slave importing became illegal)

Most don't explore the dynamics of free blacks in America at the time.

The movie was awesome at showing how the ignorant negro was a persona created to rob blacks of their true identity. Whatever prior to having to take on a strange name and being someones boy.

Most other movies fail to show how poor whites and plantation class land holding white males as different caste.

They make it seem as if all whites where in on it when that is far from the truth.

Most don't explore the kidnapping and fraudulent business nature of slavery. ( Kidnapping as a means of sustaining the slave economy after slave importing became illegal)

Most don't explore the dynamics of free blacks in America at the time.

The movie was awesome at showing how the ignorant negro was a persona created to rob blacks of their true identity. Whatever prior to having to take on a strange name and being someones boy.
Ok. I guess to those that didn't know that but I was already aware of everything you described. Whether it be through reading books and learning in general. I'm not taking away from any performance in the movie, because it was good. But hearing people marvel over it just makes me go "really?". Guess it shows who actually has taken a good look at black history. 

Ok. I guess to those that didn't know that but I was already aware of everything you described. Whether it be through reading books and learning in general. I'm not taking away from any performance in the movie, because it was good. But hearing people marvel over it just makes me go "really?". Guess it shows who actually has taken a good look at black history. 

I have to keep this in mind a lot.

While we may have spent time reading and learning about history, there's a large segment of the population that would say all that reading and learning is a waste of time.

People's attention spans are short.

Last edited:

I have to keep this in mind a lot.

While we may have spent time reading and learning about history, there's a large segment of the population that would say all that reading and learning is a waste of time.

People's attention spans are short.
Yup. That being said, the whipping scene with Patsy was still rough. Hell, any graphic whipping scene gets me, even moreso than any gore or horror. That **** was real and never goes away. I remember LeVar Burton describing how he was whipped on the set of Roots and Jamie Foxx talking about it on Django, it's such a heavy aspect to cover. 

Back
Top Bottom