-

No, they won't let it happen. They make too much money from it being illegal.....

Originally Posted by Jumpshot

No, they won't let it happen. They make too much money from it being illegal.....

maybeeee....
wink.gif

This debate is needed, and more official, across-the board laws need to be known. The laws are changing so fast, but all through the medical aspect of thedrug. I'd be excited to see it legalized through recreational use.

Obama laughed at the idea. He addressed it during a speech and then questioned the logic of the online audience.
eyes.gif

OH GOD PLEASE!!!!

But on the economic side of things, It really could plug huge holes,
then again, the taxation would be hard to regulate and control. I've done
a paper on the topic, and even now, the thought still lingerssssssss.

They might as well do it. Theirs pleanty of ishhhhhh waiting on the drug
cabinets waiting to take us out. Marijuana isn't anything to be afraid of.

Heh.

Originally Posted by digitalO22

Obama laughed at the idea. He addressed it during a speech and then questioned the logic of the online audience.
eyes.gif
Yeah that was pretty ridiculous and made me lose some respect for the guy. He and his administration basically mocked the whole purpose of thatpublic forum by not properly responding to the overwhelmingly most popular question. It just shows how completely separated Washington D.C. is from theAmerican people.

jordanflight510 wrote:
This debate is needed, and more official, across-the board laws need to be known. The laws are changing so fast, but all through the medical aspect of the drug. I'd be excited to see it legalized through recreational use.

Bill Maher's comment was the best, "that sounded like a John McCain response."

Government will eventually wet its beak in pot. Government is Mafia for non Sicilians. Government, especially State level governments, make a lo of money offof gambling, tobacco and alcohol. In other places and at other times, government has obtained revenues from prostitution. It is only naturally, that asattitudes about pot liberalize, government officials who are always looking to get more money to buy more votes, will want to get a cut of this very popularvice.

I think it might not be "legalized for recreation" for a while.

The laws are getting more and more relaxed on the drug, but only if you refer to it as something used for medication purposes. I don't know if this couldbe good or bad in the long run but it seems like Marijuana might end up being as common as Advil or other over the counter drugs.

Because there are few serious side effects to the plant, it might be possible that over time weed will just evolve into something "normal" at leasthere in California obtaining weed with a recommendation is easy.... because it is that "a recommendation NOT A PRESCRIPTION". This makes it very easyfor a person to obtain it because if you describe anything which can be alleviated by marijuana to a doctor he can just say "I recommended he or she totake marijuana if they chose to" basically giving the person the free choice to buy weed or not.

The laws that are in effect in Cali and other states might spread tot he majority of the states.... making it the norm in the U.S.

More education about the plant will bring change, and those who are opposed to it might change their mind. If it were regulated like alcohol I also believeless children will participate in the consumption. More control to get it out of the reach of children is the best bet.... instead of making it look cool byoutlawing it

Originally Posted by Jumpshot

I'm pretty sure it's been stated that a state like California would make billions if marijuana was legalized.

The thing about marijuana as a medicine is that all of its healing powers may or may not be true. Its abilities a palliative medicine, one that masks varioussymptoms like pain, nausea, depression and lack of appetite are beyond question. If highly addictive opiates are allowed for palliative use, than a much lessharmful and addictive substance like marijuana should be legal at least for that purpose.

Speaking more broadly and philosophically though, none of that should matter. Marijuana, cocaine, LSD, heroin and any other drugs should be allowed and not forany medical reason but simply because there is no reason for them not to be legal. We are still a nominally free people and we should be able to drink hemlockif that is what we desire. The war on drugs is a make work scheme for law enforcement, a panacea for the Prison-Industrial complex and it is a mockery of theconcept of the social mores of adulthood and the political ideals of personal liberty and responsibility.

My romantic side says end the drug war now! My pragmatic side says that this Fabian strategy is the best of all options currently available. First we get itlegalized for medical usage, then we get States addicted to the revenues and when people see that the sky does fall when marijuana is legal, we candecriminalize and eventually legalize other drugs.

Damn, Rex. I was reading that and thinking, "wow, this guy actually knows what he's talking about." Then I saw the team Economics sig - gooddeal. I have to co-sign pretty much everything that you said. Marijuana was already the most socially acceptable social drugs out there before the medicalusage. With more "mature/respectable" people (doctors and such) approving of it, it's only a matter of time (and missed tax revenue) before thebenefits of taxation outweigh the benefits (if there are any) of it being illegal. Hell, if the government still wants a war on drugs, they can just place moreemphasis and propoganda on cocaine and heroin.

Back
Top Bottom