19th inning in Atlanta.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

he might have missed the tag. but the throw beat him by so much your gotta call him out
laugh.gif
This.

Based upon umpiring's completely subjective "close enough" rules, I'd have to say that's one of the most horrible calls ever.

It wasn't even remotely close to being bang-bang. It was just a terrible call.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

he might have missed the tag. but the throw beat him by so much your gotta call him out
laugh.gif
This.

He didn't miss the tag though. This umpire should have been suspended immediately at the LEAST or fired. How can you make that call and consider yourself a major league umpire? If this call was made against the Yanks and I stayed up to watch the game I would've been livid. I feel for the Pirates fans. If this call happened in the playoffs or WS...RIP to that ump

as a pirates fan this is utterly ridiculous, EVERY game matters from this point on, the race is too close to be losing on BS calls like this, one game out of first place now cause of it 
30t6p3b.gif

It looked like the ump even called him safe before he touched the plate....It looks like his heel stopped before the plate and then he walked back on it, because he probably thought he was even out...

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

laugh.gif
This.

He didn't miss the tag though. This umpire should have been suspended immediately at the LEAST or fired. How can you make that call and consider yourself a major league umpire? If this call was made against the Yanks and I stayed up to watch the game I would've been livid. I feel for the Pirates fans. If this call happened in the playoffs or WS...RIP to that ump
I know he tagged him. What I mean is that from the ump's angle you can see how he would not see the tag. But even if he didn't see the tag, it's general ump procedure to call a guy out when the throw beats him by that much.

Don't think this warrants a firing or suspension. Lot of umpires do worse things than miss calls, like say seeking out confrontations with players/managers or having consistently bad (inconsistent) strike zones. Every umpire is gonna miss calls, the timing of it is just by chance, really.

First off, the ump had terrible position to even make a fair call. When you see the replay, the catcher made the swipe at the runner, but IMO, didn't tag him.

Either way, 99.9% of the time, if the throw beats you, the ump will call you out. Weird play.
EDIT:  Looking at the replay, the ump did have good position to make the call  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom