2 Cases of Swine Flu in Virginia

SMITHFIELD - Swine flu has made it to Virginia. Two patients tested positive, the state Department of Health announced late Thursday.

An eastern Virginia man and a central Virginia woman were the first two to be confirmed for the virus in the state. Neither of them were students.

That likely won't be the end of it, State Health Commissioner Karen Remley said in a news release.

She expects there will be more cases, given the state's large population, seasonal travel patterns and how easily the flu virus is spread.

[h4]Related links[/h4] Both patients had traveled to Mexico, had mild illnesses and are recovering well. They didn't require hospitalization.

The outbreak is being called H1N1 influenza. It's made up of a mix of human, avian and swine flu types. It was first detected in Mexico and has sincespread to the U.S. So far, it has claimed about 160 lives in Mexico and one in the U.S.

Smithfield Foods, which operates a joint-venture hog operation in Veracruz, Mexico, has come under fire since the outbreak came to light.Some reports pinpointed the initial outbreak to a little boy in La Gloria, a town close to the farm. Mexican health authorities, working with U.S. healthofficials, found no evidence of swine flu in pigs at the farm, the company's president and CEO, C. Larry Pope, said in a letter to employees.

Pope said the Smithfield-based company has since run additional tests on pigs in Veracruz, and those results should be availablein a few days.

A lot about the virus remains a mystery, including whether it's deadlier than seasonal flu.

"It's early to know what exactly this virus is going to look like in its severity," said Dr. Mark Levine, state Department of Health deputycommissioner of emergency preparedness. "We're preparing just in case it gets worse."

The Virginia Department of Health launched an information line Thursday to answer questions about swine flu. The phone lines helped about 750 callers Thursdayand will be open Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The number is 1-877-ASK-VDH3 (1-877-275-8343).

The state will have about 1 million courses - or five-day supplies - of antiviral medications once all federal shipments are in. The anti-virals will shortenthe duration of infection by a day or two and alleviate symptoms, Levine said.

In his letter to Smithfield Foods employees, Pope sought to quell speculation by media outlets and bloggers who have "sensationalized a seriousillness."

Pope said that all of the company's herds, including joint ventures in Mexico and elsewhere, are regularly tested for influenza and other diseases androutinely vaccinated against flu. Monthly tests look for the presence and identity of different flu strains, he said.

"At no point have any of these tests revealed this strain of the influenza virus in our herds in any country where our company operates," Pope said.

Smithfield Foods is "cooperating fully" with health officials and "have allowed exhaustive testing" voluntarily to ensure the virus has notaffected its farms, Pope said.

my cousin use to work there in the Smithfield meat plant but was fired a couple months ago
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_swineflu_0501may01,0,6321387.story

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

my cousin use to work there in the Smithfield meat plant but was fired a couple months ago
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

grin.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

idk why thats funny tho few

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT VA
mad.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

1 death in the US?

folk actin like it's the andromeda strain and #%%
smh.gif
i wanna say the same thing but the media keeps blowing it up like its really a concern...that only death i think was a baby...i means its sad thebaby died but what would you expect from the immune system of a baby
ohwell.gif

Im starting to think this swine flu isnt as bad as advertised. I mean I know people have died but folks are treating it like its the plaugue (sp?).

"90 people get the swine flu everybody wants to wear a mask. A million people have aids and no one wants to wear a condom."

Originally Posted by Chrisqo

I live near Langley Park
frown.gif
RIP to me

Not sure how to take this comment? If its a small joke its all fine, nothing serious.

Just to inform and enlighten you though, most people in this area (especially Langley Park) are not Mexican. The demographic you speak of is indeed Hispanicbut mainly composed of people of Salvadorian heritage and/or nationality. While not all of the Hispanic population you speak of is of this decent the rest isa mix mainly composed of Central American decent/heritage/nationality, very few of which are actually Mexican (in numbers compared to other Hispanicsinhabiting this area).

All this is besides the point though because it is irrelevant whether you indeed live in a community where the population was 70%+ Mexican or not it hasnothing to do with the way this virus spreads and infects its host.

While your comment might be a small joke, in my humble opinion, it is of poor taste.

Ignorance breeds more ignorance.

Just my .02

oh wow so someone has the FLU in VA...

This is all a joke.. its just a seasonal flu. everyone is going crazy cuz some county got the flu (or "swine" whatever you wanna call it) becausethey got a poor health care system.

anyways... they got cured

Back
Top Bottom