[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

Ariza was saying he wasn't going to give a "hometown discount" from the start.. So i'm sure Mitch already knew re-signing Ariza wasn'tgoing to be easy, and very unlikely.

Originally Posted by Grimey

Ariza was saying he wasn't going to give a "hometown discount" from the start.. So i'm sure Mitch already knew re-signing Ariza wasn't going to be easy.

Not for nothing but Ariza is one of those players who plays for a check not for the love..word to Ben Wallace messing up what the Pistons had for an extra 2mil in ChiTown
alien.gif

Originally Posted by tupac003

Mitch called him at 12:01??????

Something doesn't add up. If we liked Ariza so much why are we calling Artest at 12:01?

The divide between Trevor Ariza and the Los Angeles Lakers stemmed not merely from the notion that the Lakers were unwilling to pay him more than the midlevel exception (which will be approximately $5.8 million for the first season) but also from the fact that the Lakers did not make him an offer of any kind. When Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak spoke with Ariza's agent, David Lee, on Wednesday, Kupchak essentially told Lee to go get the best offer he could and bring it back to him, then perhaps L.A. would match it.

The Lakers' decision to treat Ariza like a restricted free agent disappointed and angered him greatly. He was expecting them to offer him something around $7 million, and their unwillingness to even make him an offer made him feel unwanted and as though he was not a priority to the team.

Some suggest L.A. wanted to see whether it could land Ron Artest with the midlevel exception and that's why it was reluctant to commit to Ariza. And Artest is indeed Ariza's replacement.

Chris Broussard wrote that a few days ago

This idiot Bill Plashcke keep asking all these dumb questions

Bigmike23 wrote:
tupac003 wrote:
Mitch called him at 12:01??????

Something doesn't add up. If we liked Ariza so much why are we calling Artest at 12:01?

The divide between Trevor Ariza and the Los Angeles Lakers stemmed not merely from the notion that the Lakers were unwilling to pay him more than the midlevel exception (which will be approximately $5.8 million for the first season) but also from the fact that the Lakers did not make him an offer of any kind. When Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak spoke with Ariza's agent, David Lee, on Wednesday, Kupchak essentially told Lee to go get the best offer he could and bring it back to him, then perhaps L.A. would match it.

The Lakers' decision to treat Ariza like a restricted free agent disappointed and angered him greatly. He was expecting them to offer him something around $7 million, and their unwillingness to even make him an offer made him feel unwanted and as though he was not a priority to the team.

Some suggest L.A. wanted to see whether it could land Ron Artest with the midlevel exception and that's why it was reluctant to commit to Ariza. And Artest is indeed Ariza's replacement.

Chris Broussard wrote that a few days ago

Damn...ok thanks for that.

Looking at it this way I think we may have messed up. Maybe we should have just talked to Ariza a little more. Maybe we should have just said told him that wehave the MLE and we want to give it to you. But I still don't know since his agent is such a head it might not have gotten any where.Sometimes I wish players would just represent themselves.

Wow @ ESPN. Sportscenter been counting down for the press all morning and once it comes they dont even show the whole thing and cut it off..

nwtiger wrote:
tupac003- why is your post count so low?
laugh.gif

Something happened to my account. For a while I couldn't even post. Said I needed a membership. 13k+ post gone...dah well.

lakers need to just pay the man his 10 mil (odom)

u got guys like bargnani and david lee getting 5yr 50 mil extensions and 12 mil demanded LOL.

lamar made 14 mil last year..so 10 mil is a paycut.

CP1708:
Here is what I care about

40 percent 40 percent 43 percent 41 percent 42 percent 42 percent 38 percent 44 percent 45 percent, and 40 percent. for a career of 42 percent. From a "star" that shoots 15 times a game.

How many 40 percents for ENTIRE SEASONS do you need to look at before you see he is a very overrated player? AI shoots 40 percent, and gets 30. Ron shoots 40 percent and gets 15. And we're happy about this?
grin.gif

You said it yourself; he only shoots fifteen times a game! That's 3-4 shots a quarter, man. C'mon.

- Iverson shoots a career 42% on 19 shots, meaning he averages 11 bricks en route to his career 23. His highest scoring year, he averaged 44% of his 21 shots,meaning he bricked 10 times a game.
- Bryant shoots a career 46% on 19 shots, meaning he also averages 11 bricks a game. His highest scoring year, he hit 45% of his 27 shots, giving the teamFIFTEEN bricks a game!
- Artest shoots a career 42% of his 14 shots, giving his teams an average of 8 bricks a game. Not that big of a deal, bro. His highest scoring year, he hit 50%(how come you INTENTIONALLY left that year out of your reply earlier?
laugh.gif
)of his 17 shots, giving the Pacers 11 bricks a game, right there with Iverson's and Bryant's averages.
CP1708:
Plus a guy his size and his strength, and he gets less rebounds then Kobe, a guard.
sick.gif

Kobe's listed at 6'6", 200; Artest is listed at 6'6" 244.

There's no way Kobe's only 200 lbs., though. C'mon, man.
laugh.gif

I'm not suggesting they're the same size, but we're not talking about one guy being Earl Boykins status here and the other guy being Shaq.
laugh.gif

Factor in the fact the Kobe averages .2 rebounds more per game, and the point 'He's bigger and gets less boards' really isn't that strong of apoint.
CP1708:
He's been with 4 teams, none of them win anything of merit. A good young Bulls squad, though too young, I know.
A very very very good Pacers team, he wasted them away
A kings team that was good, then no longer was good when he was there.
And a Houston team, that if he wasn't the main guy for the last 4 games, they might have beaten us. All his falling away 27 footers were exactly what the Lakers needed to beat Houston.
- Yes, a young Bulls team.
- Pacers team was a wreck, culminating in the Malice at the Palace. C'mon, man... Stephen Jackson was on that team, too.
laugh.gif
I hate how everyone acts like the team was Grant Hill, Joe Dumars, A.C.Green... and Ron screwed it all up.
- The hell?! That Kings team was good? A 'never was' in Shareef, a 'Our best years have past us. Damn Lakers!' Mike Bibby, an often injuredBrad Miller, combining to NEVER have a winning season in the full seasons played with Artest (oh, that must be all on Artest, right?
laugh.gif
)... and that's a 'good team'?!
- He succeeds in Houston, helping the team to the second best record in the West, and the best you can say about him is 'If he wasn't the main guy,they would have beaten us'?!
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Haha ska coming though with the ETHER...it's almost as if CP DOESN'T want Ron to succeed.

And I'm pretty sure KB isn't any more than 205 lbs, he lost a lot of weight after 06-07 when he was around 220-225 or so.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

CP1708:
Here is what I care about

40 percent 40 percent 43 percent 41 percent 42 percent 42 percent 38 percent 44 percent 45 percent, and 40 percent. for a career of 42 percent. From a "star" that shoots 15 times a game.

How many 40 percents for ENTIRE SEASONS do you need to look at before you see he is a very overrated player? AI shoots 40 percent, and gets 30. Ron shoots 40 percent and gets 15. And we're happy about this?
grin.gif
You said it yourself; he only shoots fifteen times a game! That's 3-4 shots a quarter, man. C'mon.

- Iverson shoots a career 42% on 19 shots, meaning he averages 11 bricks en route to his career 23. His highest scoring year, he averaged 44% of his 21 shots, meaning he bricked 10 times a game.
- Bryant shoots a career 46% on 19 shots, meaning he also averages 11 bricks a game. His highest scoring year, he hit 45% of his 27 shots, giving the team FIFTEEN bricks a game!
- Artest shoots a career 42% of his 14 shots, giving his teams an average of 8 bricks a game. Not that big of a deal, bro. His highest scoring year, he hit 50% (how come you INTENTIONALLY left that year out of your reply earlier?
laugh.gif
) of his 17 shots, giving the Pacers 11 bricks a game, right there with Iverson's and Bryant's averages.
CP1708:
Plus a guy his size and his strength, and he gets less rebounds then Kobe, a guard.
sick.gif

Kobe's listed at 6'6", 200; Artest is listed at 6'6" 244.

There's no way Kobe's only 200 lbs., though. C'mon, man.
laugh.gif

I'm not suggesting they're the same size, but we're not talking about one guy being Earl Boykins status here and the other guy being Shaq.
laugh.gif

Factor in the fact the Kobe averages .2 rebounds more per game, and the point 'He's bigger and gets less boards' really isn't that strong of a point.
CP1708:
He's been with 4 teams, none of them win anything of merit. A good young Bulls squad, though too young, I know.
A very very very good Pacers team, he wasted them away
A kings team that was good, then no longer was good when he was there.
And a Houston team, that if he wasn't the main guy for the last 4 games, they might have beaten us. All his falling away 27 footers were exactly what the Lakers needed to beat Houston.
- Yes, a young Bulls team.
- Pacers team was a wreck, culminating in the Malice at the Palace. C'mon, man... Stephen Jackson was on that team, too.
laugh.gif
I hate how everyone acts like the team was Grant Hill, Joe Dumars, A.C. Green... and Ron screwed it all up.
- The hell?! That Kings team was good? A 'never was' in Shareef, a 'Our best years have past us. Damn Lakers!' Mike Bibby, an often injured Brad Miller, combining to NEVER have a winning season in the full seasons played with Artest (oh, that must be all on Artest, right?
laugh.gif
)... and that's a 'good team'?!
- He succeeds in Houston, helping the team to the second best record in the West, and the best you can say about him is 'If he wasn't the main guy, they would have beaten us'?!
laugh.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
@ 50 percent. Ska, he played SEVEN GAMES that year.
wink.gif
That's why I left it out

I put his full seasons down. I wouldn't do ya'll like that, come on.

Artest is bigger then Kobe, not taller, but bigger, and he plays a forward postion 100 percent of the time. Kobe plays guard 75 percent of the time mixed inwith some 3.

It's fine to point out flaws on some of the teams he was on, show me the wins. 10 years in the league, 4 teams, where the wins at?

Someone now tell me that his defense is the same today as it was 5 years ago.

Or how comfortable they will feel with 7-18 shooting nights, effectively taking the ball out of Bynum, Pau, and Kobe's hands. (Odom too hopefully)

that was a good press conference and the contract signing video was put together very nicely. You can really tell how happy he is to finally be playing forLA. He just looks so happy & it was nice to see Shannon there too looking just as stoked.

they had champagne there and at the end Mitch was like "Welcome to LA Ron Artest & the next time we'll all be drinking champagne together is ayear from now after the NBA finals"
smokin.gif

WELCOME TO LA RON! You're gonna love it here

#37 will be COPPED

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

u got guys like bargnani and david lee getting 5yr 50 mil extensions and 12 mil demanded LOL.

Do some quick research on the salary cap as well as the Lakers' payroll then post.

Laker fans, stop with these types of posts. We're better than that. It's 2009, the internet is a nice tool for you to do some background.

So im kinda getting a bit gitty cause we have not signed ODOM yet
i know everybody is saying he's not going anywhere but he hasnt signed with us yet!
im scared as hell until we get LO
im not celebrating +%!!

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

Do some quick research on the salary cap as well as the Lakers' payroll then post.

Laker fans, stop with these types of posts. We're better than that. It's 2009, the internet is a nice tool for you to do some background.
sup mitch

CP1708:
laugh.gif
@ 50 percent. Ska, he played SEVEN GAMES that year.
wink.gif
That's why I left it out

I put his full seasons down. I wouldn't do ya'll like that, come on.
That's all me. My fault. I didn't even look at the 'games' column.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

CP1708:
Artest is bigger then Kobe, not taller, but bigger, and he plays a forward postion 100 percent of the time. Kobe plays guard 75 percent of the time mixed in with some 3.

It's fine to point out flaws on some of the teams he was on, show me the wins. 10 years in the league, 4 teams, where the wins at?

Someone now tell me that his defense is the same today as it was 5 years ago.

Or how comfortable they will feel with 7-18 shooting nights, effectively taking the ball out of Bynum, Pau, and Kobe's hands. (Odom too hopefully)
How can I show you wins on teams that had serious flaws? And even if he were on teams that were too young, too injured, or too volatile, but theystill had some semblance of success, you'd say it was Bibby or Brad Miller or Jermaine or Yao or Reggie Miller or even Stephen Jackson before you creditArtest, even if Artest was 2nd or 3rd on the team in points and 1st or 2nd in rebounds.
laugh.gif

But forget all that; that's not what happened. How can I show you wins on teams that had serious flaws?

And how the hell are you going to say he'd go 7-18 (11 bricks, which he has averaged ONE TIME) when his career average is 6-14 and his most recent year was6-15? The closest he ever came to putting up 18 was the one year he averaged 17 shots a game... and that was the season he played 7 games.
wink.gif

Artest's missed shots, by year:
7, 7, 7, 7, 9, 11 (doesn't count), 10, 8, 9, 9
8.1 bricks a game

Kobe's missed shots, by year:
3 (rookie year; I'm not counting it), 7, 9, 10, 12, 11, 13, 10, 11, 15, 12, 11, 11
11 bricks a game

So as of now, it's not that strong of a point, saying that his bricks will hurt us.

As far as shot selection, that's where I have full confidence that he will learn from Phil and Kobe.

Yuku is killing me right now....

Lakers Still Unsure About Odom's Plans
Jul 08, 2009 3:08 PM EST
lal_40.gif

The Lakers are still unsure about what free-agent forward Lamar Odom plans to do.

Odom wants to re-sign with Los Angeles, and the NBA champions want him back as well, but the two sides appear to be far apart on negotiations.
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said he has been in "constant communication" with agent Jeff Schwartz.

"From our point of view, we're still hopeful we can bring him back on board," Kupchak said. "We all try to make good basketball decisions.

"Sometimes you just have to say no and move on, and we've done that in the past.

"I'm hopeful that's not the case here."

Odom is believed to be seeking a contract worth roughly $10 million per year.

Via Los Angeles Daily News

Los Angeles LakersRead the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

We just can't pay the man as some people keep saying. That 10 mil a season contract is 20 mil for us since we are over the luxury tax.

If the cap drops next year we are in even worse trouble...

Back
Top Bottom