[::2009 Champion LAKERS OFF-SEASON THREAD Vol. Boring Non-News Days Causing In-Thread Tension::]

--See all these fools havin Bob Sugar type agents when we want them to have some Jerry Maguire type of agents. Hahhaha
--It is a business at the end of the day though. Hopefully Lamar does the right thing. And stays.

Originally Posted by anygivensunday

I saw on ESPN Kobe was on some radio station saying he wants LO back

No disrespect, but so what?, if every single laker was the same question I'm pretty sure they'd all say the same thing

8c136554498222690cc4525100ff4ba2421c6629.pjpg

eek.gif
i never knew odom met megan fox
mad.gif

why would he wanna go somewhere else?
id stay just for megan fox
pimp.gif
f#%^ the $$$$$
i wonder if he smashed

If he's wanting four years for 36, give it to him. That's a really fair offer for both sides.
It seems like they may have already made this offer. A Hoopshype article I read stated that it was tough getting the Lakers from two to threeyears so, four years was a huge stretch and five has to be impossible. As much as the Lakers want to compete in the now, they also want to be able to competein the future.

I believe Kobe still has a player option after this season and Pau's contract expires in two years. Bynum's contract expires in three or four (teamoption). The Lakers need to have flexibility in order to remain competetive.
what if maybe lamar has problems with kobe and does not want to play with him ?? have you guys ever though about that??
laugh.gif
If Lamar didn't want to play with him, he'd havealready signed with a different team long ago. He wouldn't wait 'til the only teams left with money don't want to use it on him. His agent wouldbe pursuing sign-and-trade options instead of more years on a contract.
eyes.gif
So, no, I've never given it any thought.
The guy gathers info and just speculates just like we do.
Bucher know as much as you or I, that dude has lost so much credibility on here over the past couple of years , I take his "predictions" with a grain of salt

he has said he has agreed on the money buss has offered, but hed rather have a longer contract..so the money offered isnt the issue..look at ric bucher's recent tweets
LO is over-valuing himself.
It's all relative in the NBA. While some might point out that Ginobili makes less, he had more security. Marion was given security and hehasn't helped his teams win jack. Same with Bargnani. Same with Turkoglu. Same with Varejao. Same with Gortat. Same with Millsap. Same withVillanueva, Gordon, and even Artest.

It isn't just about money, security is also important.

Who knows the specifics and what the hang up(s) is (are)? Maybe Odom wants five years and a trade kicker? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

athletes really piss me off sometimes

you have doctors, teachers, cops, firemen making nowhere near what these athletes are making

arguing over 9 mill or 10 mill when people are getting laid off left and right and struggling to pay their mortgages is asinine

they put a ball in a hoop for 6 months......it really upsets me when they talk about "taking care of their families"

LO is a good guy, but come on man, you should feel honored to make 9 mill a year to play basketball
That LO wants five years doesn't mean he isn't humbled by making millions playing basketball.

He isn't taking any money out of my pockets so why should I or anyone else be upset?

He's doing what's best for him and his family by trying to get more money and/or security and doing so without causing harm to anyone else.
Instead we got Artest, and kept Brown (giving him a player option no less to be right back in this spot with him again next year) and nothing else now.
Brown took less money to stay with the Lakers so they probably had to give him the option in order to be able to re-sign him. Regardless, I doubtwe're going to see anyone get paid big $ at the other guard spot while Kobe, Pau, and Bynum are on the team. If it isn't Brown, it'll be someother second tier guy.
Morrison's stats in this summer league against some decent talent, I think he is going to have his best season in the coming yearimage.
laugh.gif
Considering that his best season was when he scored 12PPG on 38% shooting in 30 MPG, it isn't saying much for him. For him to have a good season with theLakers:

- LO would have to go to Miami
- Walton would have to be injured

or

- Walton would have to be injured
- the Lakers have to blow teams out on a historic level

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

^^^uhhm no...his agents the problem

this gets me every time like some one said a couple pages back if lo wanted to sign he would sign

if im a athlete ill be damned if my agent tells me what contract to sign

hes on my payroll i cut him checks

if lamar wanted to be a laker he would be a laker
so all this talk about agents is crazy

He's stupid if he takes that deal in Miami, but it is south beach, there goes that advantage.

He figures with him, Wade, Booz, and maybe even JO, they could compete at least in the East

If our contract isn't close enough, i could see him walking.

But 7 mil per? 5 years for 34? And we can offer him 4 for 36?
ohwell.gif

Come on Lamar, wake up, take the deal. Try to go back to back brother.
pimp.gif

The think that gets me about this whole negotaion with LO is if the # of years is the main hold up. Why doesn't Dr. Buss or LO and his agent offer a 4 yearcontract with the 5th year being a player option.

Other Laker news instead of that LO contract crap BS:
Adam Morrison rides a hot hand in Las Vegas

48090820.jpg

Reporting from Las Vegas -- Reading the reviews might have been the first mistake for the Lakers' Adam Morrison.

"I had a lot of criticism after my first year," Morrison said of his rookie season with the Charlotte Bobcats in 2006-07, having been the third overall pick in the NBA draft.

"I remember one website saying I was the worst player in the NBA. All that stuff."

The 6-foot-8 forward is trying to find himself in Las Vegas -- along with his shot -- in the friendlier, light-on-defense confines of the NBA Summer League, at the wise suggestion of Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

Keeping it in perspective because, after all, this is summer league, not the heart of the NBA season, things are going well. He has averaged 20.8 points in four games. He scored 20 points against the Clippers on Monday, and had 17 points the next night against Oklahoma City.

"He's a shot maker . . . and it looks to me like he's playing with confidence," Kupchak said during Monday's game.

Said Clippers General Manager and Coach Mike Dunleavy: "I think he's made a good recovery from his knee injury. He has the ability to score. He's the main focal point of their [summer] team, but I still think he's doing a lot of good things that show separation. Potentially, he can create himself a role with the Lakers."

Morrison was less pleased with his performance after the Thunder game but opened up to reporters about his struggles since his Gonzaga days, when he was the go-to guy and Wooden Award finalist.

He stood in the hallway outside the locker room at Thomas & Mack Center and answered questions about his confidence (improved) and his knee (better) and helpfully repeated his answers if a newcomer joined the scrum.

Morrison realizes there is much on the line, starting in Las Vegas. He will turn 25 on Sunday, but this represents a career juncture for him.

"Yeah, it's my contract year," he said. "If I don't perform well, I might not be in the league. It's definitely a big year."

In Charlotte, it got worse for Morrison before it would get any better. He suffered a torn ligament in his left knee in an exhibition game against the Lakers in October 2007 that required surgery.

"It was terrible," he said.

Not only because of the pain and career-threatening nature of the injury, but Morrison felt a chance to correct the pro record had been wrested away, pulled out of his control.

He was jokingly asked whether the critical website in question had asked him for an interview after he was traded to the Lakers in February along with Shannon Brown for Vladimir Radmanovic.

"Not really," he said. "A lot of people thought I was terrible and done for good and one of the worst picks of all time," he said. "I heard all of that. It was tough to swallow.

"Like I said, to come back and get hurt and not get the chance to prove myself was probably the worst."

He praised the Lakers for giving him this opportunity, saying he felt his confidence soaring even in practice, and even though he was on the bench in their run to the title.

The message? Well, his career is not six feet under.

"A lot of people left me for dead," Morrison said. "A lot of people said I couldn't play. And [the Lakers] gave me a chance to get healthy, and I'll get a chance hopefully to prove I can play."

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-adam-morrison16-2009jul16,0,7135503.story

i said this when the trade happened. Adam Morrison can be a very very good player on this team.
He can do everything Luke Walton can do but soooo much better, he can create his own shot and is a natural scorer.
if he gets minutes at the 3 spot when the bench comes in he will do very well

and Odom is pissing me off btw.
mad.gif

I can respect what Odom has been doing to an extent, this is gonna be his last big contract, possibly leading to retirement after....

You can't let another key piece of the championship team walk away, you already put a bandage over the 1st piece lost, but there's no other versatileplayer like Lamar to replace him in this system.

Why did you want Mitch to let Brown walk?

He was vital to that playoff run.. even if they overpaid, it's all good since Mitch used the Bi Annual Exception

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

He was vital to that playoff run.. even if they overpaid, it's all good since Mitch used the Bi Annual Exception

I don't think anybody wanted brown to walk. I think most people thought his asking price would be too much. 2 mil wasn't a bad deal and he can opt outafter the season if he has a break out year.

Time keeps ticking. Sooner or later we will hear something.

[h1]SHELBURNE: Odom's dealings with Lakers sound too familiar[/h1]
By Ramona Shelburne, Columnist

Updated: 07/15/2009 11:23:59 PM PDT

Haven't we heard all of this before?

Pulled offers? Angry owners? Hurt feelings on both sides?

A breathless fan base hanging on every blog post and tweet?

It's like a game of free agent negotiating Mad Libs.

Take all the stories written about Manny Ramirez about five months ago. Replace Ramirez with Lamar Odom, replace agent Scott Boras with agent Jeff Schwartz, Dodgers with Lakers ... and continue with the story.

It all seems rather dramatic right now, with Lakers owner Jerry Buss angrily withdrawing his contract offers to Odom just five days after general manager Mitch Kupchak told an L.A. radio station that "there is no replacement for Lamar Odom" and sources on both sides of the negotiations acting like the only thing left to decide was which day the news conference would be held.

But the world hasn't turned upside down in the past five days. It only seems that way because both sides are hard at work leveraging their respective positions.

The only constant in the talks is the only thing that should ultimately matter: the Lakers and Odom need each other more than anyone else does.

Which was the same constant in Ramirez' protracted negotiations with the Dodgers last winter.

The Lakers can offer Odom more money than anyone else.

The Lakers don't have the money to go after anyone else of comparable talent without making a trade.

Which means everything in between is cosmetic.

It just might get a bit dramatic and scary before it's all resolved.

So what are the next moves?

The Lakers made their power play Tuesday by publicly confirming they had pulled their offers to Odom and revealing the financial specifics of those offers so fans and sports-talk radio hosts around the country could dissect the situation for the next few days.

Odom's camp did not return messages. So with just one side of the story out there, it certainly seemed hard to understand why they'd pass on a three-year, $30 million offer or a four-year, $36 million offer when the best anyone else in the NBA could do was five years and $34 million via the mid-level exception.

After their statements Monday and Tuesday, the Lakers seem content to let Odom make the next move.

Kupchak said Wednesday he had nothing to add to what the team had said Tuesday night and would not reveal whether he had any new discussions with Schwartz.

"I think what (public-relations director) John Black said Tuesday pretty much characterizes our position," Kupchak said.

Schwartz once again did not return messages left on his cellphone and Odom made no public statements.

But that's understandable because the only plays Odom and Schwartz have left to get the Lakers to raise their offer or extend it to five years (what Odom cares most about) is by waiting.

The three teams to keep an eye on are Utah, Portland and Miami.

Utah because it has until Friday to match the offer sheet Portland signed Paul Millsap to, as is widely expected around the league.

Portland because if Utah matches the Millsap offer, the Blazers will have enough cap space to meet Odom's asking price.

The Heat because sources in Miami confirmed the team is willing to pay Odom five years and $34 million, but probably only if it can also trade for Utah's Carlos Boozer.

All three of these scenarios will likely take until at least Friday to be resolved, which means Odom has to decide how long he's willing to twist in the wind for that fifth year.

Give the Lakers credit for putting the pressure on Odom. If Odom does indeed decide to wait and see how those other moves around the league play out, it will be an uncomfortable wait.

The only gauge on Odom's personal feelings about the situation came Monday, when he attended the premiere of the Lakers championship DVD at Club Nokia.

"Negotiations take time and we'll hopefully be able to reach an agreement," he said. "That's how negotiations are. Sometimes you're right on the same page and sometimes you're way off, that's just part of it."

Several times, Odom mentioned he did not want to antagonize the Lakers with his comments, a clear indication he wants to return to the club.

But at 29, with a birthday coming up in November, he also wants to sign as long of a contract as he can.

A league executive said Schwartz is determined to land his client a deal better than the five-year, $38.6 million contract Dallas agreed to with Shawn Marion.

If you look at their careers, abilities and statistics head-to-head, that seems more than fair.

But fair is a word both sides use in the news conference after a deal has been reached, not when they're still sitting across the table from each other.

And so a breathless city waits along the rails as the Lakers and Odom go heads-up.

The good news is, it hasn't been that long since we watched all this play out with Ramirez and the Dodgers.

So get out your Mad Libs, sit back and wait. There should be a few good chuckles along the way.

So Lamar wants a better deal then what Marion got. Let's see what happens.

I looked at Brown as if we can keep Ariza and Odom, then I'd be ok if Brown walked.

Keep all 3, hey great.

But to keep Brown, and potentially lose out BOTH Ariza and Odom, this was option 8,943 I wanted to have happen.

8,944 was lose all 3 of them.

8,945 involved signing Artest.

You don't want to know what 8.946 was

Originally Posted by Long Beach Vincey

I figured Shannon was going to ask for more than he was worth.

Glad he stayed though
pimp.gif

5/40 is better then what Marion got, he gets his 5th year, we save roughly 2 mil per for a couple seasons. Fair enough by me.

Come on Odom, you know you want to come back.

Someone open up a new candy store next to LO's house quick!

So Lamar wants a better deal then what Marion got. Let's see what happens.

was interested in their exact age difference. Marion is almost 1.5 yrs older than Lamar. May 78/Nov 79

I know marion has made the allstar team more than lamar has(i'm sure this is what agents present when going to the table too).
laugh.gif

but I'm sure Lamar would have made a few if he was with D'Antoni.

Originally Posted by ledafuture36

^^Artest is gonna make you eat CROW bro... Remember all this bashing of Artest when he get us another ring....

You need not worry about me going ghost if Artest succeeds at a high level for my team. I would LOVE to eat championship crow. Seconds please. Thirds even.

I'm more worried about which of you will disapear should he do what he always does.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom