2009 Concacaf Gold Cup Final: Mexico Champions. Vol. Aug 12 just got serious.

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

Wow I leave come back for work and see Nt23 STILL TALKING???

I guess you root for Mexico only when they win, cause every other time you post like once or twice.

Get over it people. Have your 5 Gold Cups+ your Home Confed Cup.

Let's talk about the real tournament which is the WC.

How many championships??? for Mexico 0

SAME AS US. Yet you folks been playing soccer for how long now????

How many top 3 finishes in WC???? Mexico 0

US??? 1 back in the day but hey Mexico never did that.

But I know. They will bring out the U-17 WC championship they have again, because that's like a REAL WORLD CUP to them.

Mexican fans stay salty. I will see how much crap you talk after the 12th.
eek.gif
[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]LOL... That World Cup had only 13 countries participating. There was 4 Groups, only Group 1had 4 teams (U.S was Group 4) the rest 3... U.S made it out of the group stages and went straight to semis, there they were murdered 6-1 by Argentina... thatis how they got 3rd place[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]Compare that to the modern, 32 team, 8 group ---- > Quarter Finals ---- >Semi Final ---- > Third Place/Final match, there is now[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]Yugoslavia I think didn't even get a chance to play vs U.S for the 3rd spotin 1930, at least there is no written record they did... but check this...:[/color]

However, some sources, notably a FIFA Bulletin from 1984, imply that a third-place match occurred and was won 3-1 by Yugoslavia.[sup][31][/sup] This information has never officially been confirmed.

Originally Posted by CruzAzul9

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

Wow I leave come back for work and see Nt23 STILL TALKING???

I guess you root for Mexico only when they win, cause every other time you post like once or twice.

Get over it people. Have your 5 Gold Cups+ your Home Confed Cup.

Let's talk about the real tournament which is the WC.

How many championships??? for Mexico 0

SAME AS US. Yet you folks been playing soccer for how long now????

How many top 3 finishes in WC???? Mexico 0

US??? 1 back in the day but hey Mexico never did that.

But I know. They will bring out the U-17 WC championship they have again, because that's like a REAL WORLD CUP to them.

Mexican fans stay salty. I will see how much crap you talk after the 12th.
eek.gif
[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]LOL... That World Cup had only 13 countries participating. There was 4 Groups, only Group 1 had 4 teams (U.S was Group 4) the rest 3... U.S made it out of the group stages and went straight to semis, there they were murdered 6-1 by Argentina... that is how they got 3rd place[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]Compare that to the modern, 32 team, 8 group ---- > Quarter Finals ---- > Semi Final ---- > Third Place/Final match, there is now[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]Yugoslavia I think didn't even get a chance to play vs U.S for the 3rd spot in 1930, at least there is no written record they did... but check this...:[/color]

However, some sources, notably a FIFA Bulletin from 1984, imply that a third-place match occurred and was won 3-1 by Yugoslavia.[sup][31][/sup]This information has never officially been confirmed.

One thing this game shows is how badly the MLS and US Soccer is at developing players. How do you expect to win ANYTHING with these type of players the MLS is producing.
interesting..how long has the Primera Division been in existence 50-60 years? right and the MLS has been around 15 years..you can't reallycount the NASL because that was basically to promote the game with foreign players...anyway, here are just a coupleplayers that have gone from the MLS and currently play overseas: Dempsey, Howard, Jozy, Beasley, Bocanegra, Bradley, Maurice Edu, Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu,Brad Guzan etc, the list goes on and thats just recent years...you ask how we intend on winning anything with the players we're producing? these are someof the same players that have helped dominate El Tri for the last decade....if the MLS is so bad at developing players, what does that say about your domesticleague? in 15 years of having one, the US has reached the same stage of the WC as your best showing in '86, in 1/4 the time...the problem for you guys isthat soccer is only really starting to catch on in the States, there's nowhere to go but up...whats going to happen when more of our best young athletessee a future in soccer besides basketball, football and baseball?

say what you want about the team Bob fielded for this Gold Cup but the fact of the matter is, for many of them, this was their first taste of int'l playand still they reached the final...granted it was against Concacaf competition and you guys destroyed us, but no one ever expected this US team to win...manyof them will probably never wear the jersey again, but some of these MLS players (Holden, Rogers) will be the future of the USNT and more than likely end upplaying in top leagues across Europe...not to mention continue the dominance over your beloved team

^^^speaks the truth. Anyways congrats to all the Mexico fans. You guys won the tournament no matter who played. Let get ready for the 12th. It should be agreat game. Especially If we can somehow score first. It aint going to be easy, but a great game it will be.

Congrats to the Mexico national team.

Regardless what teams were sent, Mexico won period.

I don't have any problems losing but the way these kids gave up is just sad.

Aug.12 is coming, I hope our players saw this game and will put on a show and not just rely on the counterattack.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Seems like people haven't done their homework on Mexico's situation. Be better than this C- team vs. JV team nonsense. It makes no sense. They just hired a new coach. This was a very important tournament for them to see who's got what. Gio and Vela didn't even start in last month's WC qualifiers. Aguirre was like "nope, yall too young. put those cellphones away, kids." They had to earn their place in next month's squad with their performance in this tournament. For USMNT, they are in a stable period right now coming off a great performance in Confed. Cup. At best, maybe a few players from this Gold Cup team get a call-up next month. Otherwise it was a pretty crap pool of players. That doesn't mean Mexico's team should be critiqued the same! Players like Franco, Medina, Torrado, Gringo Castro were out of the national team and now are getting looked at again with the new coach. New players like Sabah, Juarez, Valenzuela are getting looks, we don't know where their rank is right now. Magallon is different because he was coming off an injury and was using this tourney to get back into fitness. He is probably a first teamer but will have to compete with Galindo and Maza Rodriguez. So how do we decipher A, B, C team? We can't. It's nonsense. Every player is fighting for a spot on the first team. That's all there is to it.

Other than Guardado, Marquez (if he is healthy), and Torrado, I don't think anyone could guess what Mexico's starting XI will be on Aug. 12. Lots of toss-ups at several positions. USMNT's is pretty much set, give or take a few tactical moves. Good for them. But don't start breaking down Mexico's team by this A,B,C, JV crap when they are in the midst of a transitional period.
Great Insight...

Originally Posted by amarusgear

Congrats to the Mexico national team.

Regardless what teams were sent, Mexico won period.

I don't have any problems losing but the way these kids gave up is just sad.

Aug.12 is coming, I hope our players saw this game and will put on a show and not just rely on the counterattack.

that right there is what matters.

i am a huge US supporter as well... but to say that this tournament didn't mean anything is kind of ignorant to say. this tournament, like EVERYinternational competition, is a chance to play your heart out and represent your country. The way the US played that 2nd half was a terrible. Not only werethey beat physically (5-0 is an #*# kickin), but mentally and emotionally as well. It was embarassing to wear a USA shirt that day. A 1 or 2-0 defeat wouldhave been acceptable... but 5-0? that's ridiculous.

For those people saying that this didn't mean anything, that's a little naive. Not only does it give Mexico confidence, but it gives the presssomething to talk about. In 5 years, no one is going to say "the US sent a B or C team in 2009." The ONLY thing that will matter is 5-0. The factthat Mexico hadn't beat the US in the USA in 10 years is no longer the case. Regardless of what anyone says here, that does something to the psyche to theplayers... and just as important... to the fans.

With that said, a real measure of what FULL nat'l team is better will be Tuesday. If USA win, every FMF fan will have to accept that USA is better. Even a1-1 result will do... because playing in that environment will not be easy.

Originally Posted by tru2theegame

Seems like people haven't done their homework on Mexico's situation. Be better than this C- team vs. JV team nonsense. It makes no sense. They just hired a new coach. This was a very important tournament for them to see who's got what. Gio and Vela didn't even start in last month's WC qualifiers. Aguirre was like "nope, yall too young. put those cellphones away, kids." They had to earn their place in next month's squad with their performance in this tournament. For USMNT, they are in a stable period right now coming off a great performance in Confed. Cup. At best, maybe a few players from this Gold Cup team get a call-up next month. Otherwise it was a pretty crap pool of players. That doesn't mean Mexico's team should be critiqued the same! Players like Franco, Medina, Torrado, Gringo Castro were out of the national team and now are getting looked at again with the new coach. New players like Sabah, Juarez, Valenzuela are getting looks, we don't know where their rank is right now. Magallon is different because he was coming off an injury and was using this tourney to get back into fitness. He is probably a first teamer but will have to compete with Galindo and Maza Rodriguez. So how do we decipher A, B, C team? We can't. It's nonsense. Every player is fighting for a spot on the first team. That's all there is to it.

Other than Guardado, Marquez (if he is healthy), and Torrado, I don't think anyone could guess what Mexico's starting XI will be on Aug. 12. Lots of toss-ups at several positions. USMNT's is pretty much set, give or take a few tactical moves. Good for them. But don't start breaking down Mexico's team by this A,B,C, JV crap when they are in the midst of a transitional period.
Great Insight...

All valid points.

to add to my comments earlier, it says a lot about the development of the USA's best, highest soccer league. Mexico just beat the best players (that areeligible to wear a USMNT shirt) that the MLS has to offer. Someone made a good point earlier about the time the league has been around. You're right, butregardless, 5-0? that's humiliation at any level, regardless of how long someone's league has been around.

Hopefully USA will get a positive result in 2 weeks time. that would ease my 5-0 heartache.

to add to my comments earlier, it says a lot about the development of the USA's best, highest soccer league. Mexico just beat the best players (that are eligible to wear a USMNT shirt) that the MLS has to offer. Someone made a good point earlier about the time the league has been around. You're right, but regardless, 5-0?
i guess what i was getting at was people were questioning the development of MLS, but the best players it has produced have gone on to playEuropean soccer...not necessarily the players that exist in the league right now...but yeah 5-0 is a horrible scoreline either way and a team full of MLSplayers should not lose like this

At best, maybe a few players from this Gold Cup team get a call-up next month.
this is true...and for mexico it looks like 12 Gold Cup players have made the roster

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9868206/Mexico-leans-on-Gold-Cup-champs

[h1]Mexico leans on Gold Cup champs[/h1]
1 hour, 26 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY (AP)-More than half of the Mexico team that won the Gold Cup will face the United States again on Aug. 12 in a critical World Cup qualifier at Azteca Stadium.

Coach Javier Aguirre chose 12 players from the Gold Cup team that beat the United States 5-0 in Sunday's final. None of those Americans is likely to start against Mexico next month as the top U.S. players return to the squad. The Americans have never won at Azteca.

Mexico desperately needs a victory in a struggle to qualify for next year's World Cup in South Africa. It stands fourth in CONCACAF qualifying, and only the top three teams are guaranteed advancement. The Americans are in second place.

The 12 players from the Gold Cup team are goalkeepers Guillermo Ochoa and Jose de Jesus Corona; defenders Efrain Juarez, Jose Antonio Castro and Jonny Magallon; midfielders Israel Castro, Gerardo Torrado and Alberto Medina; and forwards Miguel Sabah, Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela and Guillermo Franco.

Aguirre added five defenders: Ricardo Osorio, Carlos Salcido, Rafael Marquez, Oscar Rojas and Aaron Galindo. Also called up were midfielders Andres Guardado and Cuauhtemoc Blanco, and forward Nery Castillo.

Midway through qualifying, Costa Rica leads the North and Central America and Caribbean region with 12 points. The United States has 10, followed by Honduras (7), Mexico (6), El Salvador (5) and Trinidad and Tobago (2). While the top three advance to South Africa, the No. 4 team plays off with the No. 5 club from South America for another berth.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (America), Jose de Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul).

Defenders: Efrain Juarez (Pumas), Jose Antonio Castro (Tigres), Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart), Carlos Salcido (PSV Eindhoven), Oscar Rojas (America), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona), Jonny Magallon (Chivas), Aaron Galindo (Chivas).

Midfielders: Israel Castro (Pumas), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Cuautemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Andres Guardado (Deportivo La Coruna), Alberto Medina (Chivas).

Forwards: Miguel Sabah (Morelia), Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham), Carlos Vela (Arsenal), Guillermo Franco (no team), Nery Castillo (Shakhtar Donetsk).

This game is going to be huge if we can pull it out. This will also ease my pain for now.

Luis-I still can't believe the US Supporters will be sitting in the upper deck. Can't wait for the game! My vacation officially starts onMonday!!!!!

Anyone going to the Barca vs Galaxy?

More than half of the Mexico team that won the Gold Cup will face the United States again on Aug. 12 in a critical World Cup qualifier at Azteca Stadium. Coach Javier Aguirre chose 12 players from the Gold Cup team that beat the United States 5-0 in Sunday's final.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

yep... both teams sure played the same caliber of players.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

More than half of the Mexico team that won the Gold Cup will face the United States again on Aug. 12 in a critical World Cup qualifier at Azteca Stadium. Coach Javier Aguirre chose 12 players from the Gold Cup team that beat the United States 5-0 in Sunday's final.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
Seriously. I wonder how much burn Rasta Beckerman is gonna get in thequalifier...

Originally Posted by amarusgear

[h1]Mexico leans on Gold Cup champs[/h1]
1 hour, 26 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY (AP)-More than half of the Mexico team that won the Gold Cup will face the United States again on Aug. 12 in a critical World Cup qualifier at Azteca Stadium.

Coach Javier Aguirre chose 12 players from the Gold Cup team that beat the United States 5-0 in Sunday's final. None of those Americans is likely to start against Mexico next month as the top U.S. players return to the squad. The Americans have never won at Azteca.

Mexico desperately needs a victory in a struggle to qualify for next year's World Cup in South Africa. It stands fourth in CONCACAF qualifying, and only the top three teams are guaranteed advancement. The Americans are in second place.

The 12 players from the Gold Cup team are goalkeepers Guillermo Ochoa and Jose de Jesus Corona; defenders Efrain Juarez, Jose Antonio Castro and Jonny Magallon; midfielders Israel Castro, Gerardo Torrado and Alberto Medina; and forwards Miguel Sabah, Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela and Guillermo Franco.

Aguirre added five defenders: Ricardo Osorio, Carlos Salcido, Rafael Marquez, Oscar Rojas and Aaron Galindo. Also called up were midfielders Andres Guardado and Cuauhtemoc Blanco, and forward Nery Castillo.

Midway through qualifying, Costa Rica leads the North and Central America and Caribbean region with 12 points. The United States has 10, followed by Honduras (7), Mexico (6), El Salvador (5) and Trinidad and Tobago (2). While the top three advance to South Africa, the No. 4 team plays off with the No. 5 club from South America for another berth.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (America), Jose de Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul).

Defenders: Efrain Juarez (Pumas), Jose Antonio Castro (Tigres), Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart), Carlos Salcido (PSV Eindhoven), Oscar Rojas (America), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona), Jonny Magallon (Chivas), Aaron Galindo (Chivas).

Midfielders: Israel Castro (Pumas), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul), Cuautemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Andres Guardado (Deportivo La Coruna), Alberto Medina (Chivas).

Forwards: Miguel Sabah (Morelia), Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham), Carlos Vela (Arsenal), Guillermo Franco (no team), Nery Castillo (Shakhtar Donetsk).

This game is going to be huge if we can pull it out. This will also ease my pain for now.

Luis-I still can't believe the US Supporters will be sitting in the upper deck. Can't wait for the game! My vacation officially starts on Monday!!!!!

Anyone going to the Barca vs Galaxy?

Yeah from the looks of it we will be up there for sure. My vacation starts Saturday but I don't leave to Mexico til the 9th. I looked at the calendar todayand realized how freaking close this is. I can't wait either

And yeah I'll be at the Barca game Saturday.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

These players "earned" their way to the main Mex team is the next excuse
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DC1323

Originally Posted by tru2theegame

Great Insight...

All valid points.

to add to my comments earlier, it says a lot about the development of the USA's best, highest soccer league. Mexico just beat the best players (that are eligible to wear a USMNT shirt) that the MLS has to offer. Someone made a good point earlier about the time the league has been around. You're right, but regardless, 5-0? that's humiliation at any level, regardless of how long someone's league has been around.

Hopefully USA will get a positive result in 2 weeks time. that would ease my 5-0 heartache.

I don't know about "best MLS has to offer." Hypothetically, if there were no club commitments, Bradley could've added Donovan, Clark,Bornstein, Hejduk, Wynne, Kljestan, Casey to the Gold Cup roster. I wouldn't go as far as guaranteeing a US win if that were the case, but it'ddefinitely be a very different lineup out there.

We'll see how it goes on Aug 12.

Gonna be a very dangerous atmosphere for U.S. supporters at the Azteca. Considering how the U.S. has owned Mexico for a decade(not including the gold cup matchon sunday).

Originally Posted by Fuser86

We'll see how it goes on Aug 12.

Gonna be a very dangerous atmosphere for U.S. supporters at the Azteca. Considering how the U.S. has owned Mexico for a decade(not including the gold cup match on sunday).
I'm expecting the worse but I think they normally put security around the traveling section anyways. We'll see.

According to this article, no Howard for Aug 12.

[h1]Everton beats MLS All-Stars on penalty kicks[/h1]
By DOUG ALDEN, AP Sports Writer 54 minutes ago

SANDY, Utah (AP)-Landon Donovan is looking forward to playing with Tim Howard behind him again.

Facing Howard was a frustrating reminder of how good the U.S. national goaltender is.

Howard made six saves in regulation and stopped three shots on penalty kicks to lead Everton past the Major League Soccer team in the MLS All-Star game 4-3 in penalty kicks on Wednesday night. Howard kept the MLS club out of the goal time after time and forced the 1-1 game into two extra rounds of penalty kicks to decide it, before Seattle Sounders star Freddie Ljungberg was taken to hospital for a migraine headache.

"I wasn't surprised. I've seen it a lot of times in training and in games," said Donovan, who had a chip shot punched over the crossbar by Howard in the second half.

Fortunately for Donovan, he and Howard should be teammates again Sept. 5 in a World Cup qualifier when the U.S. team plays El Salvador at Rio Tinto Stadium, where Howard shined Wednesday night.

"He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world and he showed that again," Donovan said. "Hopefully he won't get many chances against him again, but if he plays like that we're going to get through qualifying relatively easily and we can do big things in the World Cup."

Howard was voted the most valuable player after stopping Ljungberg on the final penalty kick.

Seattle's Swedish midfielder, who played the entire game, was carted off the field after the final kick due to the migraine. He was taken to a hospital for evaluation, according to MLS.

Ljungberg has been bothered by migraines periodically during his first months with the Sounders.

Jack Rodwell opened the sixth round of penalty kicks, after the teams were tied 3-3 through the regulation five rounds, with a goal. Ljungberg, needing to score to keep the game alive, tried to fake Howard with a soft chip shot to the middle. Howard lunged in time for the winning stop.

"There's always a bit of luck involved," Howard said. "He had me for the most part. I was just able to get a little piece of it."

Everton is the only international club to beat the MLS All-Stars, who had been 5-0 in this format including four wins over Premier League teams.

The Toffees were wrapping up a preseason North American tour as they prepare for the Premier League opener Aug. 15 at home against Arsenal.

Everton captain Phil Neville was happy that Howard was making the return trip to Liverpool with the rest of the English club.

"That was just a normal performance for him. He's a top-class keeper-one of the best in the Premiership," Neville said. "The USA have obviously got to be glad that he's their keeper."

Louis Saha scored the only regulation goal for Everton in the 12th minute. Brad Davis of the Houston Dynamo scored for the MLS stars, who held a 21-11 shots advantage.

Everton had only one shot in the second half, and none on goal. At the other end, the MLS players had Howard diving and leaping to keep Everton from falling behind. Donovan nearly got a chip shot over Howard in the 68th minute but the goalkeeper punched it over the crossbar.

Donovan had another great chance in the 75th minute, but bounced a shot hard off the left post. Howard got a little help in the 84th minute from teammate Jose Baxter, who corralled Connor Casey's shot with both feet just before it reached the goal line.

The MLS club made another push during stoppage time, but Howard was there again to stop a header by Davy Arnaud.

Everton was clearly the team that had experience playing together. The Toffees controlled play for most of the opening 20 minutes and only allowed one ball to reach Howard-a botched clearing attempt that sailed high and backward.

Everton took a 1-0 lead late in the 12th minute when Houston's Stuart Holden tried a soft crossing pass that went right to Saha 15 yards outside the net. Saha had an easy time knocking it past Seattle goalkeeper Kasey Keller, the veteran American who joined MLS this year after a long career in Europe.

MLS tied it in the 26th minute when Davis tapped a shot just inside the left post. Casey started the play from the other side with a pass in front to Holden, who couldn't control it for the shot but accidentally tipped it to Davis.

The goal seemed to loosen up both sides, but especially the MLS players.

"It gave them confidence," Neville said. "They gave us a real tough game after that. It was a good learning curve."
Howard made four saves in the half, including two diving stops that prevented the MLS team from taking a lead.

Damn well it's a mistake. Howard was a beast today at the all star game, he better be there.

Originally Posted by socluis90

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

That's not an excuse, it's the truth which is why you were quick to say it. Unlike the U.S. who's had their coach and his players and system inplace for a while, Mexico has had to go through 4 coaches the past few years. Hugo/Chucho/Sven/Aguirre have all had a different core of players called up toplay for the NT. Different coaches have tried difference systems with different players and nothing has seemed to work out for the better until this gold cup.Mexico played decent with what was considered their B team and Aguirre seems to want to go with the flow and keep the same core together since they have allworked together and had success (which is something that hasn't happened in a few years). People who were expected to get called up didn't and a lot ofplayers from the Gold Cup squad who weren't expected to called up did based on their performance. I don't blame Aguirre since he's going with whathas worked and added major pieces. Hopefully it works out.

Originally Posted by socluis90

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Man, I've been sitting here reading this whole thread and trying to look at this with an unbiased point of view, but you're just saltyman. Just drop it already, it's in the past, Mexico won. You can't do anything about that, and to bring it back up everytime with a new excuse makesyou look childish. August 12th is the date we are all waiting for.

Back
Top Bottom