2009 NL Cy Young Winner: Tim Lincecum

[h1]Back to Back: Timmy Wins Cy Again[/h1]

[img]http://www.csnbayarea.com/common/global_images/icons/utility/recommends.png[/img] Recommend
comment.png
Comment(1) [img]http://www.csnbayarea.com/common/global_images/icons/share/share_animation.gif[/img] Sharing RSS

68930.jpg

Tim Lincecum is in a class by himself
November 19, 2009

CSN EXCLUSIVE

SAN FRANCISCO, CA- Comcast SportsNet Bay Area has exclusively learned that San Francisco Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum has been named the 2009 National League CyYoung Award Winner.

Lincecum becomes the National League's first back-to-back winner since Randy Johnson won the award four straight years as a member of the ArizonaDiamondbacks from 1999-2002.

Tune in to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area at 11am for reaction and full coverage.

Nov 19, 2:02 PM EST

Giants' Lincecum wins second consecutive Cy Young

By JAY COHEN
AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Giants ace Tim Lincecum has won the NL Cy Young Award, becoming the first repeat winner in the major leagues since Randy Johnson was voted the prize four straight times from 1999-2002.

Lincecum led the NL with 261 strikeouts and tied for the league lead with four complete games and two shutouts.

Only 10 points separated the top three in one of the closest ballots in the award's history.

Lincecum received 11 first-place votes, 12 seconds and nine thirds for 100 points in balloting released Thursday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter was next with 94 points and teammate Adam Wainwright finished third with 90 despite getting the most first-place votes with 12.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

carpenter shoulda got it.
im surprised lincecum even got it with the recent gonja charge

The voting took place before the charges.

Carp and wain took each others votes because they are on the same team...........Thats the only reason he won.

Why should Carpenter have won it? Lincecum was 2nd in ERA, 1st in Ks, 1st in complete games, and 1st in quality starts. He has the lowest BAA, opponent OBP,and opponent OPS among the three.

I might have taken Carpenter, but no issues whatsoever with Tim..

it doesnt really matter the top 3 finished within 10 points of each other, anyone could have got it.

Just glad Timmy did, very well deserved(again)

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Freakin' Yuku. There's like 3 threads of this.
laugh.gif
Yeah man. I made a thread. Then yuku said the thread got deleted so I made another one. In the mean time you made one.
laugh.gif

Good choice IMO. They got it right with both Cy Young Awards this year.

Freakin' Yuku. There's like 3 threads of this.
laugh.gif

Yeah, gotta love when it goes back in time like that.

OKB, in all seriousness, what do the stats say? Who should've won? (I think I'm one of the few that enjoy reading his posts)

^I like reading his posts too.

As good of a season as Timmy had, I have a hard time believing that Timmy WASNT the best pitcher in the major leagues again last season. Congrats Timmy. Welldeserved.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I actually say Wain should have won it this year, not carpenter....But congrats to Tim.
But why? He had the most wins, but Lincecum was better in almost every other category.

Back
Top Bottom