2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

This should probably go in the MMA thread but I don't venture over there much and BHOP drops some gems.
A true master of his craft.

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

I'm thinking about taking boxing for a couple months. Will 2 months suffice to get the basics down if I go 2-3 times a week. I'm thinking about doing 2 months of mma as well afterwards possibly bjj.

5 x's  a week....4 months before u should START sparring
uhh no.

Originally Posted by 2o6

I'm thinking about taking boxing for a couple months. Will 2 months suffice to get the basics down if I go 2-3 times a week. I'm thinking about doing 2 months of mma as well afterwards possibly bjj.

uhh no.

Yes, you'd probably get down the bare minimum basics down. Don't expect to spar going just 2-3 times a week though.

Yes, you'd probably get down the bare minimum basics down. Don't expect to spar going just 2-3 times a week though.

^^what do you suggest?

Well it depends on what you want to do.
If you want to spar then 5 days a week for a month should get you beginning to spar. 

If you want the BARE minimum basics down then 2-3 days a week for 2 months like you said is good enough.

^^what do you suggest?

If you want to spar then 5 days a week for a month should get you beginning to spar. 

If you want the BARE minimum basics down then 2-3 days a week for 2 months like you said is good enough.

Originally Posted by thacapt

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

thats the minimum for my gym for beginners. 75 login days.

your also required to run 2 miles straight and pass a test

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

not to be a **** or anything, but that doesn't seem like a legit boxing gym.
login days?

a test?

I've honestly never heard of this stuff before.

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

login days?

a test?

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

login days?

a test?

If you show a amatuer boxing card your good.

but yea first 4 weeks his generally basic's + conditioning/pull ups/abs etc to get u in shape to train

next 4 weeks  is speed bag/double end bag/neck lifts. +  footwork/shadow boxing.. 

then u get pad work for 2 weeks and 2 weeks of 2-3 round sparring.

take a condition test , and a 30 question "basic knowledge" test

then you do as you please

Originally Posted by 2o6

uhh no.

login days?

a test?

but yea first 4 weeks his generally basic's + conditioning/pull ups/abs etc to get u in shape to train

next 4 weeks  is speed bag/double end bag/neck lifts. +  footwork/shadow boxing.. 

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by 2o6

login days?

a test?

What I don't understand is...
Why does your gym force the beginner to only do conditioning the first month? what're you gonna learn from doing that? wasted time if you ask me.

Also, why do they have to wait A MONTH to start hitting the double end, speed bag, and to LEARN to start shadow boxing (which I thought was one of the first things they should teach you other than how to wrap your hands
laugh.gif
)

another 2 weeks to hit pads?

Whats the name of your gym. I need to google this place.

different strokes for different folks I guess.

Originally Posted by 2o6

Originally Posted by 2o6

login days?

a test?

Why does your gym force the beginner to only do conditioning the first month? what're you gonna learn from doing that? wasted time if you ask me.

Also, why do they have to wait A MONTH to start hitting the double end, speed bag, and to LEARN to start shadow boxing (which I thought was one of the first things they should teach you other than how to wrap your hands
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by 2o6

login days?

a test?

laugh.gif
)

its only open 3 hours a day 
tired.gif

from 5-8

its operated by  cubans, attention to detail "perfect our craft and do it my way or leave" nazi cubans 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 2o6

login days?

a test?

laugh.gif
)

its only open 3 hours a day 
tired.gif

from 5-8

its operated by  cubans, attention to detail "perfect our craft and do it my way or leave" nazi cubans 
laugh.gif

^^what do you suggest?

5 days a week to spar in a month is a good barometer. You're basically gonna either be sparring someone with the same exp as you, or one of the trainers, or a girl. Girls are good to spar against when you want to work on your defense.

And damn 2o6 change gyms ASAP

^^what do you suggest?

5 days a week to spar in a month is a good barometer. You're basically gonna either be sparring someone with the same exp as you, or one of the trainers, or a girl. Girls are good to spar against when you want to work on your defense.

And damn 2o6 change gyms ASAP

You're only taking boxing for a couple of months? Why? To get in shape? If that's the case, don't even worry about sparring. If you want to fight, I would suggest you to go more often and stop lifting weights. Calisthenics is good enough, if you really do have to do weights make it light and compound exercises.

You're only taking boxing for a couple of months? Why? To get in shape? If that's the case, don't even worry about sparring. If you want to fight, I would suggest you to go more often and stop lifting weights. Calisthenics is good enough, if you really do have to do weights make it light and compound exercises.

Back
Top Bottom