2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

Idk the context or time frame of the interview, but Pac said he's willing to take the tests with no cutoff date

^ Thanks.

Also, so if anyone brings up the point that Manny uses or his fear of needles is BS, it's incorrect? I can just point them to that video right? Mayweather's the only one at fault?

^ Thanks.

Also, so if anyone brings up the point that Manny uses or his fear of needles is BS, it's incorrect? I can just point them to that video right? Mayweather's the only one at fault?

scaled.php

Originally Posted by So Slickening

^ Thanks.

So why didn't the fight happen if Pacman agreed to take the tests with no cutoff date?

Oh that's right, he refused Mayweather's offer of a 14 day cutoff date and signed the fight with Clottey.

Then when Mayweather took the deal off the table, Manny agrees to the 14 day cutoff date?

Do your research bruh.

^ Thanks.

So why didn't the fight happen if Pacman agreed to take the tests with no cutoff date?

Oh that's right, he refused Mayweather's offer of a 14 day cutoff date and signed the fight with Clottey.

Then when Mayweather took the deal off the table, Manny agrees to the 14 day cutoff date?

Do your research bruh.

Ortiz showed heart in that fight so I consider this his rebirth or 2.0.

Please let this Mayweather vs. Pac fight go because it's not going to happen anytime soon. Also if you look at ESPN fight night p4p it asked if B.Hop and Sugar Ray could hang with Manny. This is a joke they would destroy him.

Ortiz showed heart in that fight so I consider this his rebirth or 2.0.

Please let this Mayweather vs. Pac fight go because it's not going to happen anytime soon. Also if you look at ESPN fight night p4p it asked if B.Hop and Sugar Ray could hang with Manny. This is a joke they would destroy him.

Originally Posted by thacapt

^ Thanks.

Do your research bruh.
You are an idiot. Read my previous posts.

^ Thanks.

Do your research bruh.

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 26, 5:58 pm EDT
tweet6
Email
Print
The first lesson a boxer must learn when working in a gym with Naazim Richardson is to never stop paying attention.

Two of the young fighters working with Richardson at Shane Mosley’s Big Bear, Calif., training compound are guilty of violating rule No. 1. Richardson sees them laughing, talking and generally goofing off and ambles in their direction. He’s a big, burly bear of a man, but nothing happens in a hurry with Richardson.

As he nears the two unsuspecting fighters, he grabs the end of a towel that is draped over his right shoulder and flicks his wrist, snapping the towel and unexpectedly smacking them in the face.

More From Kevin Iole
Pavlik still in denial about alcoholism Apr 25, 2011
Darchinyan-Perez a step in the right direction Apr 22, 2011

Shane Mosley strikes a pose du…
AP - Apr 12, 6:25 pm EDT
Boxing Gallery
Trainer Naazim Richardson faces one of his biggest challenges as he preps Shane Mosley for his May 7 fight with Manny Pacquiao.
(Getty Images)
And that brings us to rule No. 2 when trained by Richardson: Never forget to duck.

For Richardson, who for the second year in a row is training Mosley in what is shaping up to be the biggest boxing event of the year, the key is to keep things simple.

Richardson was born in a hardscrabble area in North Philadelphia and was naturally drawn to the gym. He would listen for hours as great boxing minds such as George Benton, Al Fennell, Bouie Fisher and Milt Bailey would dissect fighters and share their wisdom on the game he loved.

“There was an old trainer in our gym, Al Fennell, and I bugged the hell out of him, trying to pick his brain,

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 26, 5:58 pm EDT
tweet6
Email
Print
The first lesson a boxer must learn when working in a gym with Naazim Richardson is to never stop paying attention.

Two of the young fighters working with Richardson at Shane Mosley’s Big Bear, Calif., training compound are guilty of violating rule No. 1. Richardson sees them laughing, talking and generally goofing off and ambles in their direction. He’s a big, burly bear of a man, but nothing happens in a hurry with Richardson.

As he nears the two unsuspecting fighters, he grabs the end of a towel that is draped over his right shoulder and flicks his wrist, snapping the towel and unexpectedly smacking them in the face.

More From Kevin Iole
Pavlik still in denial about alcoholism Apr 25, 2011
Darchinyan-Perez a step in the right direction Apr 22, 2011

Shane Mosley strikes a pose du…
AP - Apr 12, 6:25 pm EDT
Boxing Gallery
Trainer Naazim Richardson faces one of his biggest challenges as he preps Shane Mosley for his May 7 fight with Manny Pacquiao.
(Getty Images)
And that brings us to rule No. 2 when trained by Richardson: Never forget to duck.

For Richardson, who for the second year in a row is training Mosley in what is shaping up to be the biggest boxing event of the year, the key is to keep things simple.

Richardson was born in a hardscrabble area in North Philadelphia and was naturally drawn to the gym. He would listen for hours as great boxing minds such as George Benton, Al Fennell, Bouie Fisher and Milt Bailey would dissect fighters and share their wisdom on the game he loved.

“There was an old trainer in our gym, Al Fennell, and I bugged the hell out of him, trying to pick his brain,

Manny vs. Duran.
Spoiler [+]
With EA Sports rolling out a "Fight Night" video simulation featuring Manny Pacquiao against a pound-for-pound great each day this week, we asked a panel of ESPN boxing experts to weigh in on the results. Here's what they had to say:
[h3]Manny Pacquiao versus Roberto Duran[/h3]
rafael_dan_35.jpg

Dan Rafael: I get asked a lot by the Fight Freaks which fantasy fight in boxing history I would want to see most. One of them is certainly Manny Pacquiao-Roberto Duran, be it at lightweight or welterweight.

Duran, widely considered the greatest lightweight champion in history, later in his career jumped up to welterweight, had a few fights and then defeated Sugar Ray Leonard to win the title in their first meeting. He was a hard-charging fighter who could box, brawl and wanted to rip off the head of his opponent. He was the baddest of the bad. Pacquiao's stay at lightweight was brief -- just one fight in 2008 against David Diaz, when PacMan cherry-picked a belt. After that, Pacquiao, another ultra-exciting fighter, moved up to welterweight, where he currently holds a title.

Whatever might happen in a fight between Pacquiao and Duran, you can take one thing to the bank: It would be a hellacious war for as long as it lasted. Duran is a great puncher. Pacquiao is also a hard hitter. They are both fast. They both disdain defense to a degree. The lightweight (and even heavier) version of Pacquiao used both hands. I think, eventually, Duran's relentless pressure, power and great chin would carry the day and he would stop Pacquiao late, or win a close decision in an all-time great fight between two all-time greats. I know one other thing: I would really enjoy matching them on the video game.

mulvaney_kieran_35.jpg

Kieran Mulvaney: Nobody ever bounced Roberto Duran off the canvas over and over the way Pacquiao does against Duran in the sim. Not until his 83rd fight was Duran knocked out, and that was by Thomas Hearns at junior middleweight.

At lightweight, though, Duran was a beast. He lost only once in his first 73 contests, and that defeat was emphatically avenged. This fight would be a war: Duran would be there for Pacquiao to hit, but he'd keep coming, keep marching through Pacquiao's bombs, and he would hit Manny everywhere he could be hit, legally or otherwise. Pacquiao would become gradually discouraged and beaten down, and Duran would win a late TKO.

tessitore_joe_35.jpg

Joe Tessitore: It's a sensational matchup. By far the most realistic pairing of stars from different eras. A prime 1970s Duran as a lightweight versus a prime Pacquiao at or around 135 pounds is a dream fight with one common thread: relentless attacks. It would be an even fight, with Duran giving Manny a heavy dose of his own style and perhaps outboxing him in between the brutal exchanges.
Physically, Pacquiao is faster than Duran, but Duran was stronger and sturdier. I think either guy could win a close decision in what would be a violent, furious full-distance fight.
kenny_brian_35.jpg

Brian Kenny: As much as I love Pacquaio, the only guy near his own size in the simulation is Duran. That fight would be a war, but I think we get caught up in "no mas" too much. I say it's a close decision either way.

Manny vs. SRR
Spoiler [+]
[h3]Manny Pacquiao versus Sugar Ray Robinson[/h3]
rafael_dan_35.jpg

Rafael: Pacquiao is an all-time great, but Robinson is, by wide acclimation, the single greatest fighter in boxing history. Period. He was fast. He could punch with both hands. He had one of the best chins ever (he was stopped only once in 202 professional fights). At one point, Robinson was 128-1-2, with the lone defeat coming by decision to future Hall of Famer Jake LaMotta (whom he would ultimately go 5-1 against). And Robinson fought and beat numerous other Hall of Famers as well. It was only late in his career that he began losing more regularly.

Pacquiao has faced many top fighters, but not the all-time greats that Robinson did -- including LaMotta, Henry Armstrong (viewed by many as the second-best fighter of all time), Kid Gavilan and Carmen Basilio. Match a prime welterweight Robinson with Pacquiao at his best at welterweight, and I have to go with Robinson by a mid-rounds knockout. He just had too much of everything. Pacquiao is great. Robinson was the greatest.

mulvaney_kieran_35.jpg

Mulvaney: Seriously? Robinson was the greatest welterweight -- probably the greatest boxer -- who ever lived. Pacquiao, fabulous as he has been, has fought at welterweight or higher just four times in his career; only two dozen of Robinson's 200 fights were below that weight class. This was a man who lost just one of his first 123 contests, and at 147 pounds he was close to fistic perfection.

Too tall, too fast, too strong, too skilled, too slick on his feet. Robinson spears Pacquiao all night long before dropping and stopping him in the middle rounds.

tessitore_joe_35.jpg

Tessitore: Sugar Ray Robinson would box Manny Pacquiao all night long. He would counterpunch with ease. He'd be able to match speed and would have an edge in size. Manny would fall short and lunge for Sugar Ray, who would pick him off. I like Robinson by unanimous decision.

kenny_brian_35.jpg

Kenny: Let's just take Robinson out of the equation. At welterweight, he has no peer -- no, not even Pacqauio.

Manny vs. Duran.
Spoiler [+]
With EA Sports rolling out a "Fight Night" video simulation featuring Manny Pacquiao against a pound-for-pound great each day this week, we asked a panel of ESPN boxing experts to weigh in on the results. Here's what they had to say:
[h3]Manny Pacquiao versus Roberto Duran[/h3]
rafael_dan_35.jpg

Dan Rafael: I get asked a lot by the Fight Freaks which fantasy fight in boxing history I would want to see most. One of them is certainly Manny Pacquiao-Roberto Duran, be it at lightweight or welterweight.

Duran, widely considered the greatest lightweight champion in history, later in his career jumped up to welterweight, had a few fights and then defeated Sugar Ray Leonard to win the title in their first meeting. He was a hard-charging fighter who could box, brawl and wanted to rip off the head of his opponent. He was the baddest of the bad. Pacquiao's stay at lightweight was brief -- just one fight in 2008 against David Diaz, when PacMan cherry-picked a belt. After that, Pacquiao, another ultra-exciting fighter, moved up to welterweight, where he currently holds a title.

Whatever might happen in a fight between Pacquiao and Duran, you can take one thing to the bank: It would be a hellacious war for as long as it lasted. Duran is a great puncher. Pacquiao is also a hard hitter. They are both fast. They both disdain defense to a degree. The lightweight (and even heavier) version of Pacquiao used both hands. I think, eventually, Duran's relentless pressure, power and great chin would carry the day and he would stop Pacquiao late, or win a close decision in an all-time great fight between two all-time greats. I know one other thing: I would really enjoy matching them on the video game.

mulvaney_kieran_35.jpg

Kieran Mulvaney: Nobody ever bounced Roberto Duran off the canvas over and over the way Pacquiao does against Duran in the sim. Not until his 83rd fight was Duran knocked out, and that was by Thomas Hearns at junior middleweight.

At lightweight, though, Duran was a beast. He lost only once in his first 73 contests, and that defeat was emphatically avenged. This fight would be a war: Duran would be there for Pacquiao to hit, but he'd keep coming, keep marching through Pacquiao's bombs, and he would hit Manny everywhere he could be hit, legally or otherwise. Pacquiao would become gradually discouraged and beaten down, and Duran would win a late TKO.

tessitore_joe_35.jpg

Joe Tessitore: It's a sensational matchup. By far the most realistic pairing of stars from different eras. A prime 1970s Duran as a lightweight versus a prime Pacquiao at or around 135 pounds is a dream fight with one common thread: relentless attacks. It would be an even fight, with Duran giving Manny a heavy dose of his own style and perhaps outboxing him in between the brutal exchanges.
Physically, Pacquiao is faster than Duran, but Duran was stronger and sturdier. I think either guy could win a close decision in what would be a violent, furious full-distance fight.
kenny_brian_35.jpg

Brian Kenny: As much as I love Pacquaio, the only guy near his own size in the simulation is Duran. That fight would be a war, but I think we get caught up in "no mas" too much. I say it's a close decision either way.

Manny vs. SRR
Spoiler [+]
[h3]Manny Pacquiao versus Sugar Ray Robinson[/h3]
rafael_dan_35.jpg

Rafael: Pacquiao is an all-time great, but Robinson is, by wide acclimation, the single greatest fighter in boxing history. Period. He was fast. He could punch with both hands. He had one of the best chins ever (he was stopped only once in 202 professional fights). At one point, Robinson was 128-1-2, with the lone defeat coming by decision to future Hall of Famer Jake LaMotta (whom he would ultimately go 5-1 against). And Robinson fought and beat numerous other Hall of Famers as well. It was only late in his career that he began losing more regularly.

Pacquiao has faced many top fighters, but not the all-time greats that Robinson did -- including LaMotta, Henry Armstrong (viewed by many as the second-best fighter of all time), Kid Gavilan and Carmen Basilio. Match a prime welterweight Robinson with Pacquiao at his best at welterweight, and I have to go with Robinson by a mid-rounds knockout. He just had too much of everything. Pacquiao is great. Robinson was the greatest.

mulvaney_kieran_35.jpg

Mulvaney: Seriously? Robinson was the greatest welterweight -- probably the greatest boxer -- who ever lived. Pacquiao, fabulous as he has been, has fought at welterweight or higher just four times in his career; only two dozen of Robinson's 200 fights were below that weight class. This was a man who lost just one of his first 123 contests, and at 147 pounds he was close to fistic perfection.

Too tall, too fast, too strong, too skilled, too slick on his feet. Robinson spears Pacquiao all night long before dropping and stopping him in the middle rounds.

tessitore_joe_35.jpg

Tessitore: Sugar Ray Robinson would box Manny Pacquiao all night long. He would counterpunch with ease. He'd be able to match speed and would have an edge in size. Manny would fall short and lunge for Sugar Ray, who would pick him off. I like Robinson by unanimous decision.

kenny_brian_35.jpg

Kenny: Let's just take Robinson out of the equation. At welterweight, he has no peer -- no, not even Pacqauio.

Originally Posted by AndOneFlip

pacman is gonna take mosley to school

I'm sure you would not say this in the early 2000s 
eyes.gif

I'ma keep it real because it's not in my nature to be fake Manny seems like a cool dude and a good fighter but his FANS make me DISLIKE HIM as a fighter. Let's not forget all of the people he's beat starting with David Diaz and after (Hatton, Cotto, Antiono, Clottey) were damaged goods. Freddie Roach, Top Rank, and Manny have you guys fooled. I find it funny that Top Rank is trying to offer JMM a fight in the fall like Mosley is some chump. Mosley was in the same position with Margarito and we saw what happened.

Originally Posted by AndOneFlip

pacman is gonna take mosley to school

I'm sure you would not say this in the early 2000s 
eyes.gif

I'ma keep it real because it's not in my nature to be fake Manny seems like a cool dude and a good fighter but his FANS make me DISLIKE HIM as a fighter. Let's not forget all of the people he's beat starting with David Diaz and after (Hatton, Cotto, Antiono, Clottey) were damaged goods. Freddie Roach, Top Rank, and Manny have you guys fooled. I find it funny that Top Rank is trying to offer JMM a fight in the fall like Mosley is some chump. Mosley was in the same position with Margarito and we saw what happened.

^ Thanks.

Do your research bruh.
I'm just informing you since you seem to be so clueless about boxing in general.

You're welcome...

Idiot.

^ Thanks.

Do your research bruh.
I'm just informing you since you seem to be so clueless about boxing in general.

You're welcome...

Idiot.

Abraham may back out
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
The Super Six World Boxing Classic semifinal bout between super middleweight titlist Andre Ward and Arthur Abraham is in jeopardy because Abraham's camp is upset with the selection of officials for the bout.

Ward, of Oakland, Calif., and Germany's Abraham are due to meet May 14 (Showtime) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. However, Sauerland Event promoter Wilfried Sauerland, Abraham's promoter, said Tuesday that Abraham would pull out of the fight if the California State Athletic Commission refuses to appoint neutral officials to the bout.

Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

Sauerland claims there was a pre-existing agreement that the fight would be handled by neutral officials.

"Contrary to what has been previously agreed on, the California commission all of a sudden insists on installing a Californian judge as well as a Californian referee," Sauerland said. "That is totally unacceptable. This turnaround comes as a huge and unpleasant surprise.

"Two months ago, everybody involved agreed that this tremendous fight would be served by neutral officials. We agreed to have one judge from California, one from Europe and one from neither Europe nor the U.S. The referee is supposed to be neither American nor European either. Unless this issue is sorted, King Arthur will not leave the country. We have put his flights on hold."

Abraham, who is training on a German island in the Baltic sea, was due to leave for Los Angeles this weekend.

Sauerland, who also promotes former titleholder Mikkel Kessler, took issue with the performance of a California referee in Kessler's lopsided technical decision loss to Ward in the opening round of the tournament, prompting his insistence on a neutral set of officials if Abraham were to also face Ward in California.

"King Arthur is more than happy to challenge Ward in his back yard, but we demand neutral officials as agreed on," Sauerland said. "We have learned our lesson from the Kessler-Ward fight. Back then the California commission insisted on having a Californian referee. His performance was, to put it mildly, a joke.

"This is not some beach bar brawl but the semifinal of the Super Six World Boxing Classic, a sensational tournament that has captured global attention. It's a shame that the clash is jeopardized just because a local commission refuses to honor existing agreements and basic rules of fair play."

Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, denied there had been such an agreement, but said every effort was made to have neutral officials.

"Their accusation that California insisted on a California referee (for Ward-Abraham) is 100 percent inaccurate and, as far as I know, we have agreed to have one California official of the four officials, which is unusual to do. I don't know how much more neutral the commission can be."

Goossen said one judge would be from California while the two other judges and referee would not be from Ward's home state.

Whether the issue would force the fight to be called off, Goossen said it was going to be up to Sauerland and Abraham.

"I felt the California commission bent over backward to accommodate the parties," Goossen said. "It is out of my hands. It's going to be up to them."

Ward (23-0, 13 KOs) enters the semifinals as the top seed, easily winning his two tournament bouts against Kessler and Allan Green. He also easily defeated Sakio Bika in a non-tournament bout after Andre Dirrell pulled out of their scheduled Group Stage 3 bout.

Abraham (32-2, 26 KOs) has struggled in the tournament. After knocking out Jermain Taylor in the 12th round of their opening bout, Abraham was outclassed in his next two fights. Dirrell knocked Abraham down and was winning widely on all three scorecards before Abraham was disqualified in the 11th round for hitting Dirrell (and knocking him cold) after he had slipped to the canvas. In Group Stage 3, Abraham lost a near-shutout decision against Carl Froch in a fight for a vacant 168-pound belt in November.

Abraham won a tune-up fight in February, scoring a second-round stoppage against Stjepan Bozic.

Froch defends his belt against former light heavyweight champ Glen Johnson in the other semifinal on June 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

Abraham may back out
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
The Super Six World Boxing Classic semifinal bout between super middleweight titlist Andre Ward and Arthur Abraham is in jeopardy because Abraham's camp is upset with the selection of officials for the bout.

Ward, of Oakland, Calif., and Germany's Abraham are due to meet May 14 (Showtime) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. However, Sauerland Event promoter Wilfried Sauerland, Abraham's promoter, said Tuesday that Abraham would pull out of the fight if the California State Athletic Commission refuses to appoint neutral officials to the bout.

Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

Sauerland claims there was a pre-existing agreement that the fight would be handled by neutral officials.

"Contrary to what has been previously agreed on, the California commission all of a sudden insists on installing a Californian judge as well as a Californian referee," Sauerland said. "That is totally unacceptable. This turnaround comes as a huge and unpleasant surprise.

"Two months ago, everybody involved agreed that this tremendous fight would be served by neutral officials. We agreed to have one judge from California, one from Europe and one from neither Europe nor the U.S. The referee is supposed to be neither American nor European either. Unless this issue is sorted, King Arthur will not leave the country. We have put his flights on hold."

Abraham, who is training on a German island in the Baltic sea, was due to leave for Los Angeles this weekend.

Sauerland, who also promotes former titleholder Mikkel Kessler, took issue with the performance of a California referee in Kessler's lopsided technical decision loss to Ward in the opening round of the tournament, prompting his insistence on a neutral set of officials if Abraham were to also face Ward in California.

"King Arthur is more than happy to challenge Ward in his back yard, but we demand neutral officials as agreed on," Sauerland said. "We have learned our lesson from the Kessler-Ward fight. Back then the California commission insisted on having a Californian referee. His performance was, to put it mildly, a joke.

"This is not some beach bar brawl but the semifinal of the Super Six World Boxing Classic, a sensational tournament that has captured global attention. It's a shame that the clash is jeopardized just because a local commission refuses to honor existing agreements and basic rules of fair play."

Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, denied there had been such an agreement, but said every effort was made to have neutral officials.

"Their accusation that California insisted on a California referee (for Ward-Abraham) is 100 percent inaccurate and, as far as I know, we have agreed to have one California official of the four officials, which is unusual to do. I don't know how much more neutral the commission can be."

Goossen said one judge would be from California while the two other judges and referee would not be from Ward's home state.

Whether the issue would force the fight to be called off, Goossen said it was going to be up to Sauerland and Abraham.

"I felt the California commission bent over backward to accommodate the parties," Goossen said. "It is out of my hands. It's going to be up to them."

Ward (23-0, 13 KOs) enters the semifinals as the top seed, easily winning his two tournament bouts against Kessler and Allan Green. He also easily defeated Sakio Bika in a non-tournament bout after Andre Dirrell pulled out of their scheduled Group Stage 3 bout.

Abraham (32-2, 26 KOs) has struggled in the tournament. After knocking out Jermain Taylor in the 12th round of their opening bout, Abraham was outclassed in his next two fights. Dirrell knocked Abraham down and was winning widely on all three scorecards before Abraham was disqualified in the 11th round for hitting Dirrell (and knocking him cold) after he had slipped to the canvas. In Group Stage 3, Abraham lost a near-shutout decision against Carl Froch in a fight for a vacant 168-pound belt in November.

Abraham won a tune-up fight in February, scoring a second-round stoppage against Stjepan Bozic.

Froch defends his belt against former light heavyweight champ Glen Johnson in the other semifinal on June 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

Back
Top Bottom