2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

^^^ they were watching too much Fast and Furious movies and wanted the consumer to feel like on the movie.

Was saving to buy the car memorial weekend, but il hold out on this car and see how it goes? Will this be a 2017 model?

Why are automakers now increasing the amount of gears. First it was 6, then 7, now 8 speeds? I don't understand what's the advantage of having an 8 speed gearbox vs the 6 or 7 speed, less lag time when shifting gears? I would think the driver is consistently shifting gears while driving if in manual mode.

A lot of it has to do with MPG regulations. More gears can help take strain off the motor and reduce fuel consumption.

I'd be really surprised if it was the 2.5 engine... Subaru has turbocharged the 2.0 already, and it's around 290hp I believe... In the wrx s4...

Why are automakers now increasing the amount of gears. First it was 6, then 7, now 8 speeds? I don't understand what's the advantage of having an 8 speed gearbox vs the 6 or 7 speed, less lag time when shifting gears? I would think the driver is consistently shifting gears while driving if in manual mode.

A lot of it has to do with MPG regulations. More gears can help take strain off the motor and reduce fuel consumption.

All jokes aside, that is correct. Driving 70 mph on a highway on 5th gear is not cool if you're trying to save gas :lol: It's the one thing I miss when I had my FR-S.

:lol: :rofl: if they put a 300hp engine in the 86... man I would be so heated. I've held off on a turbo/supercharger because it just feels like a gigantic waste of money and labor, and I've been told this from other owners

:lol: :rofl: if they put a 300hp engine in the 86... man I would be so heated. I've held off on a turbo/supercharger because it just feels like a gigantic waste of money and labor, and I've been told this from other owners

You're telling me; I'm just waiting on the next Z at this point

If you know what you want out of the car and make an educated purchase its not a waste of money

People want the fastest car car and buy a SC then get upset when they only make 260hp. It is documented what these cars make with different mods so to just buy something and not be happy with the outcome is pretty stupid to me.

Its another thing to not know what you want and if that's the case you should only be mad at yourself.

considering when the car first came out, Toyota did not want to add a turbo to this car...and now that there are rumors of it being a possibility, it probably won't sit well with owners who did not have this option in the first place.

it's like in your example, the SC has 260hp. you've read all about it before it came out, watched all the vids and decide to cop within a few months of release. but then the next year they introduce VVT-i and bump the hp to 290...how should you really feel now?

Last edited:
considering when the car first came out, Toyota did not want to add a turbo to this car...and now that there are rumors of it being a possibility, it probably won't sit well with owners who did not have this option in the first place.

it's like in your example, the SC has 260hp. you've read all about it before it came out, watched all the vids and decide to cop within a few months of release. but then the next year they introduce VVT-i and bump the hp to 290...how should you really feel now?

To be fair, cars will always continue to get "better" and if all you do is wait, you'll never enjoy what's out now.

Last edited:

ya i heard about this too. there is also supposedly going also add a convertible and hybrid AWD frs to the market in 2016. The tubo charged engine is rumored to be around 290 hp. Probably going to be more expensive too.

Last edited:
I have a un-modded RSX that only has 80K miles, but I'm getting tired of it since it doesn't have RWD and all the lil bells and whistles of a 2015 car. My buddy will gladly take it off my hands for 7500 cash since he's gonna mod the hell out if it.

Question is. BRZ for FRS? and why? If anyone can help. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a un-modded RSX that only has 80K miles, but I'm getting tired of it since it doesn't have RWD and all the lil bells and whistles of a 2015 car. My buddy will gladly take it off my hands for 7500 cash since he's gonna mod the hell out if it.

Question is. BRZ for FRS? and why? If anyone can help. Thanks.

First question

Which front do you like better?

Brz is a little more expensive but i do not like the frs front but its personal preference

Well the WRX doesn't come in coupe form and that is the main reason I see why other would not opt for a WRX.
I would be sold on release... Praying the SVX delivers. 

If not still waiting on whatever 2.0 turbo vtec honda

First question

Brz is a little more expensive but i do not like the frs front but its personal preference

I like the FRS front to be honest. Saw it in my rear view and it looked nice, even stock since it's pretty low to the ground.

Is there noticeable performance differences between the two?

First question

I like the FRS front to be honest. Saw it in my rear view and it looked nice, even stock since it's pretty low to the ground.

Is there noticeable performance differences between the two?

Not at all some people say the brz handles better but if you are making modifications all that goes out the window.

Frs can be had for cheaper and if u like the front then it doesnt make sense to get the Brz

Got a question...is it true that scion/Subaru might stop producing these cars because of the drop in sales? i had convinced my mom (90%) that the frs was going to be my next car but I told her that they might stop production and now she thinks that it's not a good investment because if there ends up being a problem with the car, parts won't be available since they're not manufacturing them anymore....so now I'm stuck with an Si atm...any way that I can re-convince her?

Got a question...is it true that scion/Subaru might stop producing these cars because of the drop in sales? i had convinced my mom (90%) that the frs was going to be my next car but I told her that they might stop production and now she thinks that it's not a good investment because if there ends up being a problem with the car, parts won't be available since they're not manufacturing them anymore....so now I'm stuck with an Si atm...any way that I can re-convince her?

I haven't read or heard anything concrete saying this so i couldn't call it.

In regards to your mom I would start with telling her the aftermarket support is huge for this car so I can see OEM replacement parts coming out soon.

So new reports are saying Toyota is developing a new RWD sports coupe that is smaller than the FRS/BRZ and be priced below as well.

“We have started on the car below the 86,” Tetsuya Tada said “it is not yet decided if it will be two-seat or two-plus-two; we are developing the concept now”.

“Rear wheel drive is the best solution for sportscar handling so this will be true for all three Toyota sportscars,” Tada added.

Looks like they want to take more sales from the Miata or at least force competitors to step it up, Toyota supposedly wants to make the brand have a three-model sports car with this being in the bottom, the FRS in the middle and the Supra on top.

Looks like I may need to find a cheap 2013 now to auto-X :lol:

More powerful 2017 Toyota 86 takes over for the Scion FR-S

Scion is dead, and the FR-S name passes away with it. The rear-wheel-drive sports coupe isn't gone, though, because it's now the the 2017 Toyota 86. To match the new moniker, the latest model finally has a little extra power and more aggressive styling. The public debut will take place at next week's New York Auto Show, and sales begin this fall.

"When we announced the transition of the Scion models to Toyota we hadn't planned on changing the names of our cars, but by popular demand, for our sports car, we decided to adopt the global name of 86," said Toyota Division Group Vice President Bill Fay.

The 2.0-liter boxer-four's output grows to 205 horsepower and 156 pound-feet of torque – increases of 5 hp and 5 lb-ft. The 86 still isn't the turbocharged rear-wheel-drive coupe of some peoples' dreams, but at least this is an improvement. Toyota also promises "additional performance" thanks to different gear ratios for the six-speed manual transmission, and there's now Hill Start Assist Control. New shock tuning and spring rates will affect the handling, too.

The 86 wears a meaner look than the outgoing FR-S. The biggest change is a new front bumper with a large intake that stretches across the coupe's width, and the two sharp points along the bottom look like teeth ready to chomp down. Toyota also replaces the headlights and taillights with LED units. The twist-spoke wheels are a great accompaniment to the more aggressive look, too. The tweaks are more modest inside, including silver stitching and new materials for the dashboard and doors.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/17/2017-toyota-86-scion-frs-new-york-official/#slide-3833911

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom