2013 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: February 21

Do we get to criticize Danny Ferry for helping the Spurs if a Josh Smith trade goes down like McHale/Celtics and West/Lakers :smile:rolleyes)?

Anyways, Smith would bring several positives (athletic, good finisher, passer and shot blocker), but his negatives (questionable shot selection, erratic jump shooter, liability at the free throw line and impending unrestricted free agent) may outweigh all that.

Wizards absolutely need to clean house and show Wall and Beal that they can build around them i.e. OKC

That whole roster should be moved imo :x

If anything, they need to model themselves after the Bulls. OKC has a scenario which will probably never be duplicated due to EXTREME luck.

FWIW, they are building around Wall/Beal. This team will look entirely different in two years. It's just a matter of what the FO does in in that time-frame before then.

I wouldn't expect much from the Wizards before the trade deadline this year. Next year is a different story. Two big contracts come off the books - Ariza/Okafor. And if Okafor can stay healthy and keep playing at a high level, he's going to net a very good return.

As far as this year, the only guys who may be moved are Booker, Crawford, and Vesely. One name that's been floated around is Eric Maynor. Wizards need a back-up PG in the worst way. Price isn't in the long-term plans, and there needs to be a guy on this roster who can not only spell Wall, but also keep the team playing at close to .500 ball if Wall is out for an extended amount of time due to injury. Whether Maynor is that type of player, who knows...if the Wizards can get another first round pick, use it on someone like Trey Burke.

-Maynor would be perfect :pimp:

-Thibs was a GODSEND for Chicago. That may be the ultimate reason for there success. I got the utmost respect for him.

-Why would you want Trey Burke with Wall? Thats kind of backcourt overkill.

Flip Crawford, Vesely and Webster for a future pick to a western fringe-playoff team (off the top Portland/Houston/GSW/Denver) while you can.. maybe scoop a young big.

Then hope for some EXTREME luck of your own.

Wouldn't you like to hear... "The Washington Wizards were the most active team at the deadline..." instead of the sitting on this team for no reason.

Pretty sure NO ONE is going to take Nene tho :lol: .....so maybe not the whole roster.

Last edited:
If anything, they need to model themselves after the Bulls. OKC has a scenario which will probably never be duplicated due to EXTREME luck.

FWIW, they are building around Wall/Beal. This team will look entirely different in two years. It's just a matter of what the FO does in in that time-frame before then.

I wouldn't expect much from the Wizards before the trade deadline this year. Next year is a different story. Two big contracts come off the books - Ariza/Okafor. And if Okafor can stay healthy and keep playing at a high level, he's going to net a very good return.

As far as this year, the only guys who may be moved are Booker, Crawford, and Vesely. One name that's been floated around is Eric Maynor. Wizards need a back-up PG in the worst way. Price isn't in the long-term plans, and there needs to be a guy on this roster who can not only spell Wall, but also keep the team playing at close to .500 ball if Wall is out for an extended amount of time due to injury. Whether Maynor is that type of player, who knows...if the Wizards can get another first round pick, use it on someone like Trey Burke.
Maybe it's luck, but when a franchise drafts three superstar-level players with three top 5 picks, I think you have to give them some credit for their drafting ability too.

Re: Joe Johnson signing from 2010

Till the day I die I'll defend that signing and convenientley remind people what the situation was. The Hawks were in a damned if they did damned if they didnt situation. The ridiculous contract would bring him back, but letting him walk would've resulted in us getting a lower tier guy like John Salmons or somebody, basically a step back from Joe. In the end, it doesn't matter because Billy King helped us out.

Re: Smith trade rumors

If the Spurs rumors are legit, we have to take Leonard, if he's not in the deal it's a steal and makes San Antonio favorites in the West.

I really wouldn't invest a first round pick or trade for a player coming off a serious injury (and will be a free agent this summer) to be a backup to the franchise player on the team. It's unwise and wasteful of your (few) resources.

I wish the Bobcats would be more active. All of these people on the block would be great additions to the Bobcats. We could use Iman, Turner, Humphries, hell we could use anybody, this team is awful, i work across the street from the arena and have only been to one game and that is because i got free tickets. This team is just terrible.
Give us Kemba for Turner lol

Exactly! I can't stand his inconsistency. it has been three years now, Iggy is gone, coach put him on the starting lineup and put the ball in his hands, but he can't get it right! I am very frustrated with his performance this year, it is inexcusable. I hope we can get good value for this guy.

What do you think will be his value?

I honestly think he doesnt have much value because I dont think hes gon get any better. I think hes reached his potential :smh:
I dont even know who we could trade him for either :smh:
Just a bad situation for my Sixers all around
We aint making the playoffs lol

-Maynor would be perfect :pimp:

-Thibs was a GODSEND for Chicago. That may be the ultimate reason for there success. I got the utmost respect for him.

-Why would you want Trey Burke with Wall? Thats kind of backcourt overkill.

Flip Crawford, Vesely and Webster for a future pick to a western fringe-playoff team (off the top Portland/Houston/GSW/Denver) while you can.. maybe scoop a young big.

Then hope for some EXTREME luck of your own.

Wouldn't you like to hear... "The Washington Wizards were the most active team at the deadline..." instead of the sitting on this team for no reason.

Pretty sure NO ONE is going to take Nene tho :lol: .....so maybe not the whole roster.

I was just saying that we need a capable PG in here who can run the offense while wall is on the bench or if he's injured. Whether that's a vet like Maynor or a rookie like Burke, I'd be all for any of those moves as long as it's not AJ price.

Like I said before, I really don't expect the Wizards to be too active at the deadline. Next year is a different story, but outside of maybe adding some PG depth, I think the roster is going to look relatively the same for the rest of the season.

Maynor has been terrible since coming back from his blown knee. He isn't the same guy.

He hasn't been in OKC's rotation since mid december

Maybe it's luck, but when a franchise drafts three superstar-level players with three top 5 picks, I think you have to give them some credit for their drafting ability too.
exactly.. it's easy to throw around these words now that these guys have been in the league for a couple of years.. also i think not enough credit is given to the environment that has been created in OKC that has helped the thunder's young guys grow into the players they are.. the 2 guys who are the leaders of the team seem to be ultra compeitive and very hard working (durant and westbrook).. i think everyone else falls in line and that helps with their individual development (harden and ibaka.. and even someone like byron mullens)..

i think when guys see the effort put forth by durant and westbrook, they cant help but be motivated themselves

but people forget how much the westbrook pick was questioned..

and people also forget how much the harden pick was questioned because of the early success of curry and tyreke.. here is what bill simmons said:

I think I want to know what life would have been like if Oklahoma City had taken Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans over James Harden.

Sam Presti probably made the right choice. Repeat: probably. When you have someone like Kevin Durant (the best younger-than-25 scorer since Jordan), you borrow the Pippen-Grant-Cartwright recipe, surround that guy with flexible role players, and worry about chemistry and defense before anything else. I get it.

But just for fun ... I mean ... don't you wonder how the Curry/Evans directions would have turned out? I wish we could play them out in an alternate universe "Lost"-style just to see what would happen. My best guesses:

The Evans Universe: Makes the Zombie Sonics better on paper, screws them up in real life. Russell Westbrook would be threatened as the primary playmaker/distributor; Durant would be threatened as the alpha dog. From a chemistry standpoint, I'm dubious. I just don't think you need him. Think of it this way: I'm already making you dinner with Durant as my main course. He's the $200 slab of filet mignon on the bone. We're at a table with 10 other people. We're chowing down. We already have a Caesar salad (Westbrook), cream of mushroom soup (Serge Ibaka), potatoes au gratin (Jeff Green), asparagus (Thabo Sefolosha), sweet potatoes (Eric Maynor) and the filet (Durant). Harden is delicious corn bread done southwestern-style; Evans is a $150 rack of lamb. Do I really need the lamb? If I brought that out, wouldn't you say, "Good God, this is too much food; I'm gonna have a heart attack!" It might be delicious, but I don't need it. I need the corn bread.

The Curry Universe: Much more intriguing. Fits in from a chemistry standpoint. Hurts them defensively, but you can always get away with one squeaky wheel if the other four wheels are humming. (See: Parker, Tony.) Doesn't totally threaten Westbrook; as we saw with the Curry-Monta Ellis experiment this season, Curry floats between both guard spots effortlessly. And the shooting ... I mean ... good God. Nobody could ever double Durant with Curry's guy. Beyond that, alt-OKC would have two younger-than-22 shooters with 28-foot range and two 50-40-90 (field goal-3 point-free throw) percentage threats year after year. Could it find another Harden-like talent through the draft or free agency? Yes. Could it find another Curry-like talent? No. He's an original prototype. I like this universe more than Harden World. Sorry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/100416&sportCat=nba

Last edited:
Presti deserves credit (lots of it), but none of what he does in 2008-now matters if the Thunder aren't lucky enough that they land at number two in the draft and Oden is selected ahead of Durant.

Size always wins in the NBA.

You can't teach 7ft.

Give Presti number 1, he takes Oden

Anyone want Brandon Jennings? He apparently asked out today...good riddance.

To Oden's credit he was a good center. A center who actually had fundamentals a post player should have, not just rely on pure athleticsm like Howard. He was shooting Free throws in college left handed and actually made them. Probably shot better lefty than Howard does righty. Injuries are a ***** though. I don't think he'd have as big of an impact as Durant but I do think if you needed a center he would have been good enough to warrant a #1 pick if he stayed healthy.

Last edited:
It's a little off topic but...

I CANNOT stand this Twitter "Race to be first" with info more than half the time its wrong.

There is speeding tickets on the highways I feel that it should extend to info.

Hold media accountable.

I remember all the "talk" was that Presti wanted Thabeet badly... Memphis bailed them out so they lucked up to James Harden :lol:

The media doesn't have to be held accountable, because in the end a source is anonymous, and if THEY end up being wrong, "it's just because their source was."

It's a screwed up system, and I don't see how it could get fixed.

Back
Top Bottom