2014-15 Lakers Season Thread (21-61) KAT

This summer, if the chance comes, Love, Rondo, Neither, or Both?

• Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rondo

• Neither

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ding:
Lakers Must Weigh Fantasy vs. Reality in Targeting Best Free-Agent Options

Just about every night, there's someone to admire from afar.

Last Wednesday, Marc Gasol. Last Friday, Thaddeus Young. Up next on Tuesday, Greg Monroe. They are free-agent possibilities on a horizon still more than half a year away, but that's the closest the Los Angeles Lakers can get to seeing a fresh sunrise.

On Sunday night, All-Star DeMar DeRozan sat out his first game with a torn groin tendon, and the Lakers were able to beat the Toronto Raptors, 129-122—seeing just how much one player, one way or the other, can create change. DeRozan figures to be in the free-agent market of 2016, when the Lakers hope to finish shopping and be gazing upon cupboards that have gone from bear back to their usual bull.

An L.A. native who grew up revering Kobe Bryant, DeRozan is the sort of talent who makes some sense as a future Laker. There's a viable game within the game these days while Bryant tries to carry these 4-13 Lakers:

Who will be the men who come to play behind the man?

Beyond that, how do the Lakers ensure that they spend wisely these next two summers in picking players who will win championships the way Bryant did in his heyday? And can the Lakers shop so smartly that he postpones his scheduled retirement in 2016 to pursue that sixth NBA title?

Practically speaking, the Lakers have to take what they can get.

As much as they might see Kevin Durant and Joakim Noah as the prizes of 2016, those guys probably aren't going anywhere if the Oklahoma City Thunder and/or Chicago Bulls win a championship between now and then. Maybe they stay even if they haven't won—and if they do go, brace yourself for insane competition from other clubs with the NBA salary cap jumping perhaps close to $20 million in '16 as the new national TV contracts kick in.

That doesn't mean, however, that the Lakers can't pull a winning hand—with or without being dealt the trump card with Durant's face on it.

As we project forward, let's be clear that a tremendous amount of the equation will be determined this summer. As much as 2016 is being built up and up in NBA circles, 2015 looms first as a better-not-miss opportunity for the Lakers.

There will still be plenty of other bidders, and big offers will flow freely with NBA owners knowing that TV-money infusion is there as backup, but the Lakers are positioned well to strike even while Bryant's salary is on the books for 2015-16.

And they must strike, even though there is an appeal to saving the space yet another year if they again fail to attract max-level free agents. For one thing, Lakers vice president Jim Buss needs to show fans that he is doing something proactive after the Lakers decided to wait it out in 2013 (while losing Dwight Howard) and held off again in 2014 (while losing Pau Gasol).

For another, the Lakers need to have some meaningful talent in the building in 2015 to start a foundation to show Durant and others when they recruit in '16.

It's clear by now the Lakers' hope is to use their cap space on no-brainer top free agents such as Marc Gasol or Kevin Love. But the small-market issues in Memphis are mitigated by Gasol's roots in that community, and there is a natural wonder whether he'd want to follow in Pau's footsteps again with the Lakers. Love obviously has a winning scenario going in Cleveland, as is, despite his unabashed affection for L.A.

If not Gasol or Love, other options are interesting while carrying risks. There may be an allure to overpaying LaMarcus Aldridge (not a No. 1's mentality, it should be clear by now), DeAndre Jordan (limited skills and still not an every-night performer) or Rajon Rondo (with so many excellent point guards out there, burning your big dollars on one isn't the preferred course).

But forward Paul Millsap and point guard Goran Dragic, for example, are just the sort of players whose tenacity is underappreciated and will allow future teams to compete at a high level. It could be a blessing in disguise if the Lakers have to settle for someone such as Millsap or Dragic or another player with untapped potential like center Greg Monroe as their key piece in free agency this summer.

And each might be in the range of $14 million per year, offering a better value than a pricier player with a bigger name.

That's what happened for Charlotte in signing Al Jefferson at that less-than-max price point two years ago: He outplayed his contract (and he could opt out and be a free agent this summer, too).

Bottom line, there are a lot intriguing ways for the Lakers to get something great or at least really good next summer. If it's not enough on its own to sell Durant the year after, all is not lost either.

The Lakers might have enough cap space post-Bryant to be able to tell Durant in 2016 he can pick which other elite free agent he wants to bring with him to the Lakers as an instant contender. Noah? DeRozan? Al Horford? Mike Conley? Nicolas Batum? (Howard if he opts out of Houston?! No, no, no.)

If it's not Durant, maybe it's Gasol or Noah as the primary anchor. Or perhaps some crew such as Monroe, Julius Randle, DeRozan, Nick Young and Conley that doesn't look like enough now is ready to be special by then.

As difficult as it is for fans to endure a rebuild that is mostly killing time, the shopping results will become reality some day. Free agents know the Lakers openly pay the luxury tax in pursuit of titles, unlike in Oklahoma City or Memphis, and the attraction of Southern California is legit, with Noah expressing his joy about three off days in L.A. after the Bulls beat the Clippers.

That the Lakers would rule the NBA used to be a probability. Now, they'll just have to do their best with the upcoming possibilities. But they will arrive—in time.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-reality-in-targeting-best-free-agent-options

This worries me in a lot of ways.

Yo pmatic pmatic any chance you could post Myles Turners' write-up. Actually the full article if its possible :smokin
7. Myles Turner

Six games into the season, Turner is second among all freshmen in PER and second overall among players on our Big Board with a fantastic 38.31. That's come as a major surprise to scouts who expected Turner to be the biggest work in progress among the elite freshmen. A huge 25-point, 10-rebound performance against St. Francis (11-for-12 from the field) was his standout game. Against better competition like Iowa, Cal and UConn, he hasn't been nearly as dominant offensively, so take the early sample size with a grain of salt. Still, there is one thing he has done consistently, and that's block shots. He has also been a beast on the defensive glass. Turner is averaging 3 blocks in just under 20 minutes per game and has an impressive defensive rebounding rate of 26.2.
Turner's per 40: 22.8 points (67 eFG%), 13.4 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 6.1 blocks. :x

Hate his gait. Reminds me of Bynum in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
The team hotel is right down the street from my home. I saw a bunch of the guys in town shopping yesterday. Ed Davis and Wayne Ellington are cool dudes

Durant returning tonight, so less competition for a top five pick.

Last edited:
We know Philly #1

Then there is us, the Knicks, the Pistons, and the T-Wolves.

The Celtics and Hornets are lurking as well, but some where, all those East teams will have to accumulate wins.

It would be wise of us to give the Pistons and Celtics a win each, to help nudge them along, and keep us held back a bit.

Once Rubio, Pekovic, Martin and Meeks return, that will help boost the T'Wolves and Pistons respectively.

Unbelievable how so called "fans" want their team to lose. If you are against them now then stay against them in the next seasons.

Edit: inB4 people use the Spurs and OKC model as a defense. Not only is tanking a cowardly way to rebuild , but there's no guarantee that they will even get the first pick or that the draft pick will even end up a superstar. How different would OKC look today with Greg Oden?

Last edited:
Unbelievable how so called "fans" want their team to lose. If you are against them now then stay against them in the next seasons.

Edit: inB4 people use the Spurs and OKC model as a defense. Not only is tanking a cowardly way to rebuild , but there's no guarantee that they will even get the first pick or that the draft pick will even end up a superstar. How different would OKC look today with Greg Oden?

Where do you expect this team to go with our roster currently? Honestly?

No tank vs anti tank argument, just where do you think a team with a bunch of one year deal players is gonna go?

This conversation doesn't need to happen a month before 2015 man. We are smarter as a people these days. You can read last year's thread if you need, or various other articles on the subject via the internet.

5+5 = 10 but so is 8+ 2. Team tank or not, we all just want the same thing and that is for the Lakers to be back on top.

Where have I seen that before pmatic pmatic .

We're in for a awakening that some have already seen coming. Kobe or no Kobe contract.

Nah I've watched them just don't get geeked like some people. They're ok movies.

I'm with you...I haven't seen one. I mean I actually bought the set got 20 min into the first one and feel asleep...just doesn't do anything for me. :\

mean.gif

I think the argument went out of the window when we started 1-9.

Trust me I was Anti-tank. But this to me isn't tanking. We just aren't good. End of story.

Kobe looks exhausted...

Translation I shall play him 37 minutes

...Today and tomorrow

Just a matter of time before his body breaks down again :smh: .

Thats why I try to watch every single game and enjoy Kobe's last run. :frown:

btw, Im starting to think something is in the works after the Q.Miller workouts and that Earl Clark rumor turned to nothing.

Did you get a call Mitch? :nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom