2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Agent would never let him do that, don't blame him either. Honestly, he's got nowhere to go but down. As enticing as that is, they've gotta hold out for a double digit year.

BTW, only talking if he hits free agency. If the Angels offer that, run with it :lol: he'll hit free agency at what, 28? :x
Can they? I know Trout is an anomaly and separate entity from Albert, Josh, and Wilson. Can the Angels really keep gunning and paying out these exorbitant contracts? Ideally you move Albert or Josh, if there's even one taker out there. Trumbo's gone. They don't have enough young arms despite trying for Archie.

Yea, Moreno will do whatever he can and trade Pujols/Josh for peanuts to make sure they keep him :lol: or maybe they'll spend Dodgers money.

They're really just putting it all on Trout and hoping that he puts up a 13+ WAR season and carries them to big heights.

Or, maybe it's just the bourbon talking :lol:

A lot can happen between now and whenever Trout becomes a FA. He could re-up with the Angels, he could get hit with the injury bug like Grady Sizemore, he could even blow up like Miggy and gain 50-60 lbs and have to switch positions, or Bryce Harper could turn in to be a better player. We just don't know. If I was Trout, and the Angels offered me 10 years $300 mil or 7 years $210 this spring, I'd take it. Even though Buster Olney is saying some agent thinks he can get 12 years $400 mil. 

A lot can happen between now and whenever Trout becomes a FA. He could re-up with the Angels, he could get hit with the injury bug like Grady Sizemore, he could even blow up like Miggy and gain 50-60 lbs and have to switch positions, or Bryce Harper could turn in to be a better player. We just don't know. If I was Trout, and the Angels offered me 10 years $300 mil or 7 years $210 this spring, I'd take it. Even though Buster Olney is saying some agent thinks he can get 12 years $400 mil. 

I would wait until i'm a free agent. Angels just don't make any noise that comes even close to what the dodgers or giants do out there. I'm the best player in the sport, i'd want to play somwhere like LAD, NYY, BOS, CHC, NYM.

But that's just me.

Came across this Derek Jeter story.
[h2]Story About How Derek Jeter Stole A Comedian’s Girlfriend At A Club[/h2]
Given Jeter's rep I have very little doubt this is true.
laugh.gif

uh this is the yankees thread take that angels noise elsewhere. *please excuse my angels hate*
That's my fault.

Yea, Moreno will do whatever he can and trade Pujols/Josh for peanuts to make sure they keep him :lol: or maybe they'll spend Dodgers money.

They're really just putting it all on Trout and hoping that he puts up a 13+ WAR season and carries them to big heights.

Or, maybe it's just the bourbon talking :lol:
Woodford?

I like to be controversial. I wish I could make a case for a (5-tool) player or baseball guy in general that is better now or in the future than Trout. I can't. Not Harper, not Goldy, not Votto. Trust me, I've tried.

I would wait until i'm a free agent. Angels just don't make any noise that comes even close to what the dodgers or giants do out there. I'm the best player in the sport, i'd want to play somwhere like LAD, NYY, BOS, CHC, NYM.

But that's just me.
Two black holes financially in Albert and Josh. Their pitching doesn't look great for the future and the Angels know it. They tried with Skaggs and Santiago, but neither is Archie Bradley.

Came across this Derek Jeter story.

[h2]Story About How Derek Jeter Stole A Comedian’s Girlfriend At A Club[/h2]

Given Jeter's rep I have very little doubt this is true. :lol:
Back to the Yankees. I think he's trolling for attention but who knows.

Worst I've done is had dinner (Thai), two bottles of wine, and multiple Jack and Cokes with a Hispanic girl in college...knowing her boyfriend was picking her up for the weekend right after. Wine, dine, bedded. Now take your girl back.

I'm not Jeter though. Most of our resumes pale in comparison.

Woodford is dog piss bourbon :lol: the bird tonight.

I think Olney put that offer out there if he hits FA. I hear you phillfan, if they offer him something like that now he has to take it to secure himself. I don't think they'll offer the longevity of the contract though, they'll offer big money and not the years.

Ugh, the DJ tweet makes me sick and jealous :lol: need a Malboro after that :smh:

I should have never stopped playing baseball and hockey :smh:

Big regret of mine as well. Wish I continued baseball when I was of age for travel leagues/HS team. I played roller hockey for a year, and lost interest. Wish I kept at it, because it gateway'd into ice.

Big regret of mine as well. Wish I continued baseball when I was of age for travel leagues/HS team. I played roller hockey for a year, and lost interest. Wish I kept at it, because it gateway'd into ice.
NT Men's league?

I want to be there for Tanaka's first Yankee Stadium start.

I really hope Kuroda can dominate for the entire season. He was flawless the first half of the year but ran out of gas.

I really hope Kuroda can dominate for the entire season. He was flawless the first half of the year but ran out of gas.

Kuroda and Tanaka are forming a bond early on. I like where this is headed.

View media item 806387
As Masahiro Tanaka made his way through the dark concourse, into the open walkway and onto the back field at the Yankees spring training complex this morning, he was walking directly behind Hiroki Kuroda. It was Kuroda who played catch with Tanaka during early warmups, and Kuroda was right next to Tanaka as the Yankees top starters threw the first bullpen session of the day.

“For today, it was Hiroki Kuroda that kind of came to me and asked me if I wanted to do catch with him,” Tanaka said. “From here on, I’m sure there are a lot of groups and it’s divided into a lot of groups, but the times I’m able to be with Hiroki, I hope to be able to catch with him.”

Manager Joe Girardi said he made no direct suggestion that Kuroda play a mentor role with Tanaka, but he was happy to see that relationship developing this early in spring training.

“I think it’s advantageous for Tanaka to have Kuroda here and making those adjustments,” Girardi said. “You’re looking at someone you probably watched pitch over there, in the big leagues there, and here. You saw him make the adjustment and how he did it, and that’s advantageous. There’s probably a natural bond there because of where they’re from, and that’s good for us.”

Pitchers and position players rarely spend a lot of time together, and I’ve never noticed any sort of obvious relationship between Kuroda and Ichiro Suzuki. Not that they’re unnaturally distant from one another, I’ve just never noticed them seeming to bond over their Japanese connection. When things go well, though, the members of a rotation seem to form a sort of automatic bond, so Tanaka and Kuroda are a natural pair.

“I feel very fortunate and very thankful that he’s here,” Tanaka said. “He’s a veteran here in the Majors and obviously he’s one of the key guys that kept the rotation for the Yankees so I feel fortunate.”

-LoHud

------------------------------------------------------------

Teix' is on that Evil Empire steez :lol: :pimp: .

TAMPA, Fla. -- No Robinson Cano, no problem.

Mark Teixeira said the New York Yankees have more than offset for the loss of Cano, the $240 million man, by adding Brian McCann, Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran.

Even without Cano, according to Teixeira, the Yankees are a better team than the injury-ravaged 2013 club that had Lyle Overbay at first base and Ben Francisco as the designated hitter on Opening Day.

"We're back to being the Yankees again," said Teixeira, who missed most of last season when he had surgery to repair a torn tendon sheath in his right wrist. "Last year, we weren't the Yankees.

"We had so many injuries and we had so many guys that should have been in there to be lots of anchors [in the lineup.] That's back. There is not one guy that has to carry this team."

Teixeira said he "absolutely expects" to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 runs. His goal is to play in 150 games instead of the 15 in 2013.

"I know when I'm out there and healthy, my team is a better team and that is no different this year," said Teixeira, who turns 34 in April.

Teixeira said he understood Cano's decision to leave the Yankees for the Seattle Mariners, saying the team would "definitely miss Robbie," but lauded general manager Brian Cashman.

"We had a great offseason," Teixeira said. "It was fun to watch. I was texting Cash every two weeks, telling him congrats on another great signing, great offseason. I basically told him, 'You did your job. Now, it is time for us to do ours.' No excuses this year, we have a team that can compete for a world championship."

Last week, like nearly everyone in the Yankees' organization, Teixeira was stunned by Derek Jeter's announcement that he would retire following 2014.

"I was shocked, to be honest with you," Teixeira said. "I thought that Derek had a couple of years left in him. I knew how excited he would be about this season, just the same way I am when you only play 15 or 17 games.

"You just get really excited about playing the next year. I could have seen Derek playing until he is 44, 45. I'm excited that he gets to go out on his own terms and he gets to enjoy that last season and we are going to enjoy it with them."

Teixeira, who has three seasons remaining on his eight year, $180 million contract, said he plans on playing five more years.

Teixeira said he will ease into spring training, but he feels if he takes 50-plus at-bats he should be ready for the April 1 opener in Houston. He said he began swinging on Jan. 1, building up his wrist strength each day. He thinks he won't know fully how improved the wrist is until he faces his first real fastball in an exhibition game.

-ESPN

Last edited:
Said it in December that Hiroki was going to be a huge asset in helping Masahiro adjust. Also why I think we shouldn't trade Ichiro so he can tell Tanaka what it's like to be a superstar and be here.

Last edited:
Hey NY fam, what's the weather like in NY during September/October?
nerd.gif

Planning to head out there for a Yankees game around the last week of September, but if it gets cold enough that you can see your breath then I'll push that trip up a month of two
laugh.gif
.  Thanks in advance!

Hey NY fam, what's the weather like in NY during September/October? :nerd:

Planning to head out there for a Yankees game around the last week of September, but if it gets cold enough that you can see your breath then I'll push that trip up a month of two :lol: .  Thanks in advance!

September and October are 2 different animals. :lol:

You better off in September, when you get into October it could either be mild or it can be into the 30s/40s.

Back
Top Bottom