2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

@WojYahooNBA: The Knicks are finalizing a four-year, $54 million agreement with free agent center Robin Lopez, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

little bit higher than what i wanted but :pimp:

El Zinger knows Spanish too?! It'll only be a matter of time before he slays all the yambs in da heights

This off season is depressing to say the least. Corey Brewer. We had son when we got melo and he wasn't even productive.
Getting back players who weren't good the first go round leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The uniform gonna make him go back to non production...

I guess I just believe we have a jinx uni

Sometimes its better to build a real team and assemble stars around those role players down the line.

We tried assembling stars first and building around them before, and failed countless times.

Last edited:
Sometimes its better to build a real team and assemble stars around those role players down the line.

We tried assembling stars first and building around them before, and failed countless times.
Well said. Its a different approach, so I'll let things pan out before I decide.

Lopez is a solid center, only 27, and he filled a gaping hole in our lineup. Not mad at that deal.

Somebody had to get paid. Can't expect everyone gonna take a discount just because. Especially if they are in demand.

next summer RoLo's contract will be equal to $37M in today's money
waiting for the capologist in here to tell me who would've been younger, cheaper, and a better fit for what were looking for. High energy, mobile, defensive big men in their prime aren't cheap and we got one for a really good deal. Son is getting paid the same amount as Tyson Chandler and is 4 years younger and better 

Last edited:
Is it really overpaying for a 27 year old serviceable big?

Big men have commanded more money since the beginning of time.

We got a steal in Afflalo.

Rim Protection FG%
Robin Lopez 48%
DeAndre Jordan 48.5%
Greg Monroe 55.1%

Point Saved/36
Robin Lopez 1.45
DeAndre Jordan 0.18
Greg Monroe -1.23

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

He's a smart player, does the dirty work, can hit his free throws, and has a nice jump shot: 

2hf53cj.jpg

Portland fans love him:

DeAndre is the better rebounder but I would rather have Lopez at 12 million a year than DeAndre at 18 million a year and it's not even close. Lopez isn't "serviceable" at all he is an above average center in the league.

Last edited:
Solid pick up.big men get paid.no more to it.and he's actually productive.don't look at stats just like at him play.he does the dirty work.need 1 or 3 more decent pickups and maybe and can enjoy watching knick games again

@BobbyMarks42: NYK will a little over $7.3m in room plus Room ML (2.8M) to add more pieces. Roughly $30m in room for 2016-17.

we're in pretty good shape

Last edited:
I'm happy a Plan B was/is in place, but Greg Monroe was better, younger and apparently a year less of a contract to boot. Can't sugarcoat that. And again, if they didn't offer him the max, then we essentially offered the same money to Lopez, which would be silly. (I think we did and Greg passed)

Didn't get him, and that's fine (well, not really..but still). I'm happy there was another direction to go. You had to add someone and Lopez was the next best option for a team that is caught in having to try to be respectable now but not give away the future. But those happy the Knicks didn't pay for Greg yesterday, I don't know how this would make you feel any better. That's all. 4/54 is a very long way from the idealistic 3/36 being thought of yesterday. I know right now we're thinking defense, defense, defense and I can't blame anyone for that...but we were also 29th in offense last year. ANYBODY with ability is a fit.

Lopez, Afflalo is not anything sexy, but it's solid. Can't build this thing overnight. It's the best medium between a total rebuild (Porzingis) and winning now with Melo - not overpaying but still getting veteran guys with good basketball ahead and contracts that won't restrict you too much moving forward. Phil is not in an easy spot, I don't believe he's helped himself much at all, but can't really fault him for these moves.

My preference now would be going after Beverely and another wing, would have been easier without Calderon hanging around but things happened. Make the best of it now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom