2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So up until tonight I could have dealt with the "I voted strategically" excuse when it came to Griffey not being unanimous. However, it dawned on me - these voters get to vote for 10 players, correct? How the hell didn't those three voters say to themselves "Okay, Griffey is for sure deserving, he's my first vote", and then go from there for their next 9.

Such b.s. :smh:

So up until tonight I could have dealt with the "I voted strategically" excuse when it came to Griffey not being unanimous. However, it dawned on me - these voters get to vote for 10 players, correct? How the hell didn't those three voters say to themselves "Okay, Griffey is for sure deserving, he's my first vote", and then go from there for their next 9.

Such b.s. :smh:

Yup.

If you end up with 12.. The last 4, the guys who have been on the ballot longest should get the nod.

At least that's how I'd do it.

I've completely softened my stance over the years.

Numbers get you in.

Pete, Barry, Alex, Roger, Mark

We need to stop romanticizing a game built on spitballs, stealing signs, corked bats, pine tar, and Eight Men Out.

Racism too

[quote name="macbk"]How the hell didn't those three voters say to themselves "Okay, Griffey is for sure deserving, he's my first vote", and then go from there for their next 9.[/quote][quote name="DarthSka"]What I learned today:
3 voters need to have their privileges permanently revoked.[/quote]

No way Manny and Pudge make it 1st ballot (I love Manny)....but even those PED allegations are too much

[quote name="nomnomdestroy"][quote name="DarthSka"]I've completely softened my stance over the years.

Numbers get you in.

We need to stop romanticizing a game built on spitballs, stealing signs, corked bats, pine tar, and Eight Men Out.[/quote]Racism too[/quote]Absolutely. Good call.

Does Ivan Rodriguez have PED things in his past... It all blends together at this point...

yeah, that whole texas ranger roster during that era.
juan, canseco, pudge. canseco said he help injected them in the bathrooms.

Last edited:
That explains things :lol:...

It's amazing how little support Sosa gets... That's what happens when you use PED's AND cork your bats :lol:...

I don't care about any of that stuff and I lean towards no with sammy.

becuase in the context of the era combined with the park he played in, his bad defense in the latter half of his career, his numbers don't looks thaaat good.

Like I don't think fred mcgriffs a hall of famer, and he's got nearly the same amount of war as sammy.

Sammy right on the boarderline for me.

I've completely softened my stance over the years.

Numbers get you in.

We need to stop romanticizing a game built on spitballs, stealing signs, corked bats, pine tar, and Eight Men Out.

Racism too

100% agreed. I'll always argue it, there's been cheating in every era of baseball and it was swept under the rug until Pete and then the 90's era.

Juan Gonzalez holding 2 of A-Rod's MVP's, though :smh:

Building a sport (country) on racism and stealing signs (land)? What can be more american than that? It'sno wonder Baseball was/is so popular with older white people :lol:

I am of the opinion that stealing signs should not be frowned upon. In fact, I frown upon the team who had its signs stolen more than the team that steals them. If your signs are basic enough to be picked, they deserve to be.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that stealing signs should not be frowned upon. In fact, I frown upon the team who had its signs stolen more than the team that steals them. If your signs are basic enough to be picked, they deserve to be.

QFT. And the unwritten rule nonsense of running across the pitchers mound. I stopped playing by sophomore year of HS, and even then I really don't recall being told not to - not in any Little League season or freshman year.

BK, I never answered your Pettitte question. I don't think the playoff stuff can be thrown out of course but I think with all that, Andy's more "hall of very good" than "hall of fame" IMO.

BK, I never answered your Pettitte question. I don't think the playoff stuff can be thrown out of course but I think with all that, Andy's more "hall of very good" than "hall of fame" IMO.

All good dude. I've seen that label attached to Andy plenty of time, and it does hold standing. However, I went stat hunting and gathered this for size -

256 wins, lifetime 3.85 ERA, 3316 innings, 2448 strikeouts and a 60.9 WAR. Yankees all-time leader in strikeouts tied with ****** Ford for the most starts in franchise history. He is third in innings pitched behind Ford and Red Ruffing. 3-time All-Star. 5 WS rings. 2001 ALCS MVP, most playoff wins (19), starts (44) and innings pitched (276.2) than any pitcher ever.

I really think his post-season success would get him in, frankly because that stage ultimately holds more meaning than the 162-game grind.

[quote name="dland24"]I am of the opinion that stealing signs should not be frowned upon. In fact, I frown upon the team who had its signs stolen more than the team that steals them. If your signs are basic enough to be picked, they deserve to be.[/quote]Oh, I'm totally with you. I simply included that as something 'traditionalists' themselves can't even agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom